After the dismal showing of Sloes last year I have been paying a bit more attention to the crop a bit earlier in the year.

Yesterday I went for a walk in one of my favourite picking spots and found some rather unexpected results. Now I have to stress that I don't normally look at this time of year so this may be 'normal' but it doesn't look right.

On some of the branches there were some hard, green round little berries that look exactly how I'd expect immature Sloes to look. I tested one and sure enough there was a well formed stone inside already.

However mixed in amongst them were much larger, broadbean shaped pods that were discoloured and deformed. There were far more of these than the the green Sloes and on some branches these were all that was visible.

I cut a couple of these open and they were hollow with no stone, but possible the signs of what would have become it. I am guessing that these are Sloes that have not properly developed, either through incomplete fertilization or disease or insect. Possible late frost I suppose.

Anyone else seen anything like this ?

post-2748-1245409522_thumb.jpg

post-2748-1245409532_thumb.jpg

post-2748-1245409544_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They seem to be doing ok round near me, although already there doesn't look to be as many as we've had in previous years . . . . . . i'm on constant watch to stop any other bugger getting them 1st, noone else seems interested yet! ;)

I haven't noticed any this year yet, next time I'm out I'll have a look. I wonder if these pods are un-fertilized, has it got anything to do with the drastic drop in bee numbers? :hmm: Could be a sign of things to come....

I read this topic the other day and didnt really take any notice but I have just come back with the dog and I would say that about 90% of the bushes with sloes on look like the ones in the pictures that have been posted. I was gutted.

This group of bushes must be approx 60 metres long and about 20 metres wide and they nearly all look like death.

Although there was loads of blossom on earlier in the year, cant work it out, very strange.

Has anyone else looked or can offer an explanation for what looks like another bad year.

I read this topic the other day and didnt really take any notice but I have just come back with the dog and I would say that about 90% of the bushes with sloes on look like the ones in the pictures that have been posted. I was gutted.

This group of bushes must be approx 60 metres long and about 20 metres wide and they nearly all look like death.

Although there was loads of blossom on earlier in the year, cant work it out, very strange.

Has anyone else looked or can offer an explanation for what looks like another bad year.

Lack of Bees IMO.

I've found out what it is !

It's a fungal infection Taphrina pruni known commonly as 'Pocket Plum'

Pocket plum is a fungal infection of the young fruits of plums, damsons and some ornamental species, causing them to develop abnormally, without stones.

It recommends you gather up all the infected ones before the spores develop and spread. :(:icon_eek: Bit of a task that is.

For more detail see here:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=199

Pocket plum is a fungal infection of the young fruits of plums, damsons and some ornamental species, causing them to develop abnormally, without stones.

It recommends you gather up all the infected ones before the spores develop and spread. :(:icon_eek: Bit of a task that is.

Thats it then another flippin tea total year ;)

It has been one of the best Years since i can remember for Blossom, the perfume , devine!! and i was thrilled to see so many sloes growing!!

We Have a quite a number of Bees so i had ruled that one out, sadly now i see this Pocket Plum, and its spreading so quickly too!!

so far only the sloe,s are affected, i had hoped for a Bumper year with all fruits

and we have far to many to gather the infected ones....... oh fingers crossed i dont have to resort to frozen sloe,s again :blink:

thanks for that info re the pocket plum

• 2 weeks later...

It has been one of the best Years since i can remember for Blossom, the perfume , devine!! and i was thrilled to see so many sloes growing!!

We Have a quite a number of Bees so i had ruled that one out, sadly now i see this Pocket Plum, and its spreading so quickly too!!

so far only the sloe,s are affected, i had hoped for a Bumper year with all fruits

and we have far to many to gather the infected ones....... oh fingers crossed i dont have to resort to frozen sloe,s again :blink:

thanks for that info re the pocket plum

Well lads/lasses,im goin to try some sloe gin this year.Can i pick them now and freze them or should i waite?