Getting your dogs started on the treadmill..

Jst bought a new treadmill and want to get my hounds and lurchers started on it..

I set up the treadmill in the kennel house and tried 2 of the dogs on it this mornin but to not much success, i know its gonna take a couple of mins each day to get them goin properly but i was jst wonderin if anyone had any tips on gettin them goin on it.!

Thanks folks..

Pa

Jst bought a new treadmill and want to get my hounds and lurchers started on it..

I set up the treadmill in the kennel house and tried 2 of the dogs on it this mornin but to not much success, i know its gonna take a couple of mins each day to get them goin properly but i was jst wonderin if anyone had any tips on gettin them goin on it.!

Thanks folks..

Pa

did u try hangin a teddy or fox tail from front of thread mill

Thanks folks..

Pa

did u try hangin a teddy or fox tail from front of thread mill

ya dats a gud ida seen it dun that way befor also put them on it and you go to the front and call them that shud work 2

Guest clash

Plenty of praise,while he is sitting/standing on the mill. Make a fuss of him for several min then take him off till the next day & so on. Patience & time will help. Make sure he is walked before & after. Some dogs take to them like a duck to water,but others...................

i wouldn't even encourage them to sit on the treadmill, you don't want them in the habbit of doing this when you start increasing the pace and time

i have put my bitch on one but perfer to cycle with her as i get fit too then, but tie a lead to the handles but loose, this gives you free hands but also the option to add a bit more pressure if need be,

first walk the dog on to the tread and stand there, praise then reward with cheese or sausage - something fantastic!!

til you get top the point the dog is going on there without you even asking her, the dog clearly feels secure with it then, i would then clip the lead on and stand for 30 seconds more cheese then unclip and off. . .

pop dog on clip on lead and start the treadmill going at very slow pace, praise then stop and off . .

gradually bring up the the pace and length of time on the treadmill

never be negative always praise, if dog shows any sign of insucurity or distress stop the treadmill then take dog off

best of luck mate, lurcher lass x x x x

also while the dog is walking/running on the treadmill plenty praise, stroking etc

Guest clash

i wouldn't even encourage them to sit on the treadmill, you don't want them in the habbit of doing this when you start increasing the pace and time

I agree LL. What i meant was,just get the dog happy with being on the mill. Walking or not,sitting or standing. Whichever he was doing.

Thanks lurcher lass..

Jst 1 question tho, does it matter where the treadmill is facing as ive got it jst facing a blank wall!

could put a flat screen tv on the wall in front of them and play dvd's of coursing :clapper:

Good Luck

Y.I.S Leeview

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks lurcher lass..

Jst 1 question tho, does it matter where the treadmill is facing as ive got it jst facing a blank wall!

could put a flat screen tv on the wall in front of them and play dvd's of coursing :clapper:

Good Luck

Y.I.S Leeview

ALWAYS FOUND JUST PLACING THEM ON THE MILL OR WATCHING OTHERS ON IT WORKS FOR ME, ALL DOGS ARE DIFFERENT, AT PRESENT GOT A ELECTRIC MILL AND ALL ME DOGS APART FROM ONE GO ON IT, IF ITS A SLAT MILL SOME TIMES THEY CAN BE TO NOISEY FOR THE DOGS ,THIS PUTS THEM OFF STRAIGHT AWAY, BUT SPENDING TIME WITH THEM DOES HELP OUT ALOT,
  • 4 months later...

I found that they always pulled to the outside,to try n get off the thing.So i boxed in both sides,and the difference it made was amazing.I used to have a 3 dog treadmill.All i had to do,was open the kennel,and the 1st three dogs used to run onto the thing,and took up their places,like cows in a milkin parlour.They were harder to get off it though,as they loved it.Took months to achieve this though.So have patience,and never ever shout at,or scold them.If they try to get off te thing.As that will realy upset the apple cart,and make them hate it,from the word go.I have a 1 inch,square steel bar,across the front of mine,and thats what the short lead n collar are attached to.