refurbished centrepin

As some of you will know i have a bit of a thing for pike fishing with old kit and last year this included using an old bakerlite Allcock Areialite on a handmade English splitcane rod. Well the Allcock real was sold to Old trap collector early this year after i got hold of a lighter and possible (yet to be used) better made centre pin.

This is the old bakerlite reel doing its job

a1076.jpg

There was nothing wrong with this reel but i was lucky enough to come across a Hardy Bros reel at my local car boot, in fact the same car boot as i found the Areial. Sadly someone had painted the reel in a heavy coat of black paint and the reel was in no way as free running as it should be. So after much research about how the reel would have been when new i set about refurbishing it. I didnt take any pictures of this process as i wasnt going to make a post out of it, i just wanted the reel to be back as it should be. So with a little nervousness i set about removing the paint.

Once cleaned i good rub down with very vine wet and dry brought up the finish of the alluminum to a finish ready for a polish. Again i didnt want a mirror finish but a finish much like how it would have been when it left the factory, so again a little research was done.

Well here it is sitting on top of the cane rod and looking the part im sure you will agree.

centrepin003.jpg

With its bakerlite handles and its brass line guard as well as brass inners i think its a thing of real beauty

centrepin001.jpg

As you can see by the reverse side of the reel i have left a few of the wear and tear marks as i didnt want to simple polish away its age and its history as i feel this is a big part of old tackle, much like owning a classic motorbike or car. If you look on the back of the reel on the left there is a small hole, this would of had a bung in it so on changing it from a right haded reel to a lefty you could have plugged it. Sadly this is missing and im yet to get info on what this bung would have been made from, maybe a small bit of leather or rubber? Even the rod has had a slight rub down with 0000wire wool and 3 coats of varnish ready for this season.

All i have to do now is load it with a suitable line, grab a few bits of tackle, this will include the old pike bungs given to me by trader, many thanks trader, and off i will go in search of old Esox. :thumbs:

Edited by mole catcher

Nice reel indeed, i have an old Alcocks Areilite reel similar to the one that you have just sold,

it came in a box of reels i bought for a bargain price and i am itching to use it

hello Fin, bit of advice on the bakerlite reel. give it a good clean and remove all oil and grease. add only a cople of drops of baby oil onthe pin, man do they run smooth after that as it realy coats the running surface well :victory:

Nice reel indeed, i have an old Alcocks Areilite reel similar to the one that you have just sold,

it came in a box of reels i bought for a bargain price and i am itching to use it

hello Fin, bit of advice on the bakerlite reel. give it a good clean and remove all oil and grease. add only a cople of drops of baby oil onthe pin, man do they run smooth after that as it realy coats the running surface well :victory:

Cheers for the advice Mole Catcher, i must admit that my Arielite has seen better days as has most of the boxes contents.

But i am keen to use it, as well as some of the really old wooden/brass reels that were in there amongst the more modern fixed spool reels

i look at some of them and wonder when they last saw a fish, it will be good to hear their click checks sing again

all the best

Fin & Fur

i am keen to use it, as well as some of the really old wooden/brass reels that were in there amongst the more modern fixed spool reels

i look at some of them and wonder when they last saw a fish, it will be good to hear their click checks sing again

all the best

Fin & Fur

thats the thing with old gear and a big part of it for me, just the history and posible thought that maybe a record fishwas caught on them but went un-registered way back then. You never know as im sure they wernt as mad on weights and records back then. let us know how you get on with it all ;)