night fishing for pike???

Guest ROUGH COATED
Just wondering how many people night fish for pike, as i've nevered heard or read about night pike,

if you do/can fish night some tips would be good, as in what rig you recommend bait ect

cheers

turk

Smelly bait is what i use,Ive used rainbow trout heads before aswell and they was good ,Keep the bait about a foot of the ground or more,

Do your homework on what venue your fishing first see were the weeds are E. T .C ,Ive also left dead baits to rot a few days before fishing so they smell like f**k good luck!

Edited by ROUGH COATED

i've done alot of night fishing for pike.imo night fishing gives you an advantage as your there for when the pike are most active,ie dusk and dawn.

as for bait you wont go wrong with smelt & lampray,they will catch fish on any water,and rig wise keep it simple use a static deadbait rig,if you dont get a touch after an hour or so try popping up your bait.psif u do nite fish use alarms u will never miss a bite.

atb chris

Edited by chris 78

ive done it with mixed results on dead baits , lives might be a bit better . theres a bloke called phil blakey from manchester who writes in pike and predators who swears by lure fishing at night and looking at some of the fish he catches you cant argue with him

I have only fished twice at night for them most of the bites came before first light it might be better live baiting [bANNED TEXT] its a full moon and dead baiting [bANNED TEXT] their isn't one their is a chapter about it in paul gustafson's book how to catch bigger pike its well worth a read.atvb

Mick Brown done a video (yes a video not a dvd, thats how old it was) on night fishing for pike and zander on the fenn drains. To be honest it looks like a very productive method but like has been said before, strike early to avoid deep hooking. I myself have never night fished for pike but have caught many in the first hour of darkness ;)

• 2 weeks later...

this time of year spinning will be better in early morning or evening. i was out bream fishing on my local river the seven this morning at 4. and by 5.30 there where pike hitting the top of the water everywhere. a spinner would have been perfect