pure deerhound

well lads, i am thinking of getting a pure deerhound and i was just wondering are they any good to work like on

rabbits

hare

fox

deer etc?

serious answers please so no messing.

not the best on rabbits..2tall..everthing else :thumbs:really good on deer dont damaged the meat.ive got a deerhound grey 32insh..

IF YOU GO AND BUY WORKING DEERHOUNDS, LURCHERS and LONGDOGS BY Bill Doherty,the book will help you to decide, it did for me.his years of experience,knowledge,etc and his level headed accounts and his expertice shows in his book.i have a 3/4greyhound 1/4deerhound at 29tts ,yes he is big so what its not about numbers.its to see him work and run.what a tempermant hes got and what a companion.in time i will either have a first X or even a pure deerhound from working stock,which is my dream dog.

well lads, i am thinking of getting a pure deerhound and i was just wondering are they any good to work like on

rabbits

hare

fox

deer etc?

serious answers please so no messing.

not the best on rabbits..2tall..everthing else :thumbs:really good on deer dont damaged the meat.ive got a deerhound grey 32insh..

A ped deerhound would not be the best on quarry in this country pre ban. The only thing would be deer, thats why they are x to other breeds, to bring down the size. They give good[feet,coat,stamina] and not to bad train as sight hounds go. Lets face it lurchers of 22-25ins, can struggle at times to catch quarry. Speed is ok but with out [Agilty] you wont catch much, and [big] deerhounds wont have it like a small+medium lurcher. I like deerhounds they have nice temp, and they can put that bit of [Grit] in your lurcher for[ bigger quarry ] but i cant see the point in working a ped deerhound , when a deehound x would be a better working dog for our quarry. Colliexgreyx deerhoundx grey, were a very good lurcher in the 70s .They took rabbit,hare,fox,deer,. To day lads use bull,wheaten, and x to deehounds. So it speaks for it self, they dont use ped Deerhounds :hmm::thumbs:

lad thay are good but you will pay monet for them......the wudent be great on deer you would want bull in it lad or wheaton....good all rounders do

Deerhounds no good on deer? LOL.

goes to show how smart some people are! :D

:blink::clapper:

• 2 months later...
/
I have a working strain of deerhound he is 18 months old , has killed a few foxes with other dogs the only thing i can knock about them is their pace. maybe he will get faster when he learns to course properly but big game is not slow and you need a special dog that has the size, power ,determination, speed and techinique to pull down a stag single handed. Only seen a few and they are rare. So ill have to see how he gets on. A deerhound bitch could be a better option.

i had a pure ardkinglass deerhound dog, bred by anastasia noble back in the early 80s, he was a real nice dog but due to his size and pace he was limited to what he could catch, i ran him for a few years and caught a bit of stuff with him, but not much really, i got him from near whitby, a place called egton bridge, they sold me him because he killed there yorkshire terrier, he was touchy with small dogs and i wouldnt have trusted him alone with them, but he might be just a one off ?????, i met a fella from acklam, at middlesboro, who had a pure bitch, and a load of permission, we ran the pair together on hares, and caught a few but not that many over three winters, i sold him to a lad up at loftus, in cleveland, and he sired a litter of pups out of a small fast track greyhound bitch, that was the last i heard of him, i must say though they are good dogs to own, but if i was after a dog for allround hunting, and it was to be deerhound type i would go for a cross, my mate at barnsley had a bull greyhound x deerhound greyhound, bitch a blue rough coated one 25" yet bull cross looking, smart dog and that could tackle anything, i also had mates with fawn rough coated deerhound greyhounds back then that were better on hares, and proper beauty looking traditional lurcher types aswell,

dont see many about now these days which is a shame,

cocker

A deerhound x might suit your purposes well, as much as I love pure deerhounds a well bred cross would be a better animal.My old dog was a deerxgrey/beardie (dam pure deer sire grey/beardie), made 32 tts, had a great temperament, a good turn of speed and plenty of bottle and stamina.Regular long mountain walks kept him in tip top condition. Easy to train and excellent about the house (my dogs live indoors).He was 100% with kids and a very clean animal.My only regret was that I never bred from him.

My current pup is a similar cross (sire deerhound dam deer/grey/beardie) and at 14 weeks is proving to be a little belter Looking forward to next season when I will start him on game.

Good luck with whatever you choose.