Average Hauls

Just been looking at one of the other threads and saw the amount of rabbits some of the guys took over a 3 night period. What percentage of rabbit run were caught?

The haul was very impressive, but I wouldn't fancy carrying them home. Seeing that amount of rabbits has really opened my eyes. It shows what can be done.

What is the average catch rate? I assume that the dogs must miss some rabbits as well, and they must be very fit. Do you "work" them fit, or are they fit berfore you start working them?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would be nice to say to you the dog has a 100% catch rate but that would be dreaming a bit i would say on a averidge 75%

it depends on alot of factors wind how dark how many dogs etc

some nights you go out and catch every chase

some nights you get none

:yes::D

ps check your mail

merle

just have mate

I got 11 last night from about 20 runs altho thwe wind was up it was quite light, but different areas produce different results, in the past I worked the dogs one night and got 40+ then the next night got say 10 but the dogs have had to work far harder to get those 10, dont start worrying about the numbers game

Guest drummer

first off the rabbits have to be there to take large numbers, and apprt from the good points everyone else made id like to add, type of ground,and escape routes, running on very short fields with no fencing around them, say like a golf course(not recomended)where rabbits are at full speed and with nothing to turn them on will limit numbers, but on the other hand, rough sedgy grass or land with good fencing around it will give the dogs the advantage, and ive seen some ground where the rabbits do no more than just bobble about and never get into full flight,a last point would be how well your dog is trained, a silent team where hardly a word is spoken , if any, between dog and master will obviously get you more runs( no hunting on, or having to shout the dog in, when caught straight back, when missed straight back)and by the law of averages more runs more rabbits, i hope this helps a little bit.

IMO..it does depend where you hunt...if they arent there you cant catch them!!!!! lol...if i go local an average bag of rabbits is about 6.....and if i travel???..i dont know, because we are usually after other critters!! lol.....JD ;)

where i live in guernsey

there are no foxes, badgers,hares ,deer,mink, in fact the only thing we get are rabbits and rats there are thousands and thousands of rabbits i have just arranged with some lads from devon to come over and get a few

merle ;)

Guest drummer
where i live in guernsey

there are no foxes, badgers,hares ,deer,mink, in fact the only thing we get are rabbits and rats there are thousands and thousands of rabbits i have just arranged with some lads from devon to come over and get a few

merle :D

well thats my holidays sorted ;)

I just picked up some permission on a golfcourse and had a quick lamp last night. There were lots of rabbits & i mean lots aand they were in small groups feeding way out in the fairways,but they are b*****ds to catch on the short greasy turf,my dog loses a lot more ground on turns due to theres not much to grip on,so my bitch has to change tactics if we are to reduce the nos there.

So like folk say it all depends where you hunt an the size of the catch,i think we caught a 3rd of what we ran but my bitch is just back from injury so shes unfit and theres room for improvement