In my book light sussex x silkie is the best broody :notworthy::notworthy: . but its all down to personal experience and the bird itself. silkies sussex wyandottes pekins cochins all make fantastic broodies. as for incubators try ebay you'll get all sorts there big small second hand new.

silky cross anything really i always liked a silky cross old english game hen!!!

Apparently bantams make better broodies than large fowl. However, I've kept several bantams for the last few years and only one was consistantly broody (annoyingly so). She was a silver pencilled wyandotte.

Everyone seems to agree on the Silkie Sussex cross. The Silkie being a great mother but crossed with the Sussex gives a bigger hen thus covering more eggs. Bantams tend to only cover a few eggs.

Personally I like a game hen as they can make a very aggressive ,protective mother. Handy if you've vermin around.

day after started this topic my big fat orpington went broody, only left eggs in nest box few hours longer than normal. she still on them now, wasnt impressed with me trying get her up for drink etc. then two days later black rock went broody but ones enough so took her eggs she was sat on now she back to laying. chicks due on my birthday. read 21 days does it differ alot? will be my first chicks if goes to plan so am complete novice. any help welcome

Everyone seems to agree on the Silkie Sussex cross. The Silkie being a great mother but crossed with the Sussex gives a bigger hen thus covering more eggs. Bantams tend to only cover a few eggs.

Personally I like a game hen as they can make a very aggressive ,protective mother. Handy if you've vermin around.

crossing with a sussex also gives the feather because chicks can get caught up in silkie feathers.

just bought 6 eggs off ebay 2 of my old english gone broody,misses wont have a cockrel in garden feel sorry for them when i take the eggs.
  • 2 weeks later...

the eggs my hen sat on are due this fri. been in run and got her nest box. whats there for me to do when eggs hatch except feed? do i need chick crumbs etc? the moveable run is on grass do i need cut the grass short before chicks hatch? cheers

i am after a broody hen to sit on some eggs. any breed better than the rest? also wheres best place to buy an incubator?

cheers

Without a doubt bantam silkies although our wyandottes are nearly always broody !!

the eggs my hen sat on are due this fri. been in run and got her nest box. whats there for me to do when eggs hatch except feed? do i need chick crumbs etc? the moveable run is on grass do i need cut the grass short before chicks hatch? cheers

Yes you will need chick crumb, and a low saucer or specific water drinker for chicks... they can drown in a recepticle too deep so be carefull... Dont have to cut the grass, but have you got a botton on your run? ie mesh/wire, as you might loose your chicks to weasel/stoat or rat...... Good luck :)