Rodenator Petition

• 1 month later...

Matt the Rat.

I wrote to my MP a while ago about the rodenator following my topic of burrow blasting.

He has forwarded me the reply that he got.

Thought you and the rest of the forum might like to read it.

Rubbish answer or what! :sick:

Basically our Mr Fitzpatrick doesn't look like he is too worried.

On his official website, he is listed as :-

Recreations:

West Ham United FC, Golf, Reading, TV/Films, Millwall RFC

Good solid country background to base his decisions on!

He will of course have the full backing of the PM as he comes from. . . . wait for it. . . . Glasgow! :whistling:

post-25189-1248959804_thumb.jpg

I had a chance to see the Rodenator in operation a few months back, as I was doing the trapping component of a gopher control study that compared the effectiveness of several different methods of gopher control, and the guy doing the study plots next to mine was using a Rodenator. I was very impressed with how loud and powerful the blasts are. Even stronger than I thought they would be from having seen the youtube videos. We're talking about rattling windows and settin off car alarms from a hundred yards away.

Funny thing is, despite all that power, the burrowing critters seem to survive the blasts remarkably well. You go back to a blast zone the next day, and there are new gopher mounds everywhere. I think when the gophers or other animals hear the disturbance from the applicator on the surface, they probably head down as deep as they can into their burrow systems, and the power from the blasts seems to all come upwards out of the ground. So despite the impressive blasts, it just doesn't seem to kill the rodents consistently.

And it stands to reason that if many animals outright survive the blasts, others probably suffer non-lethal injuries, or injuries that don't kill them quickly and humanely.

And the one line I hear over and over again from Rodenator users is "you should get one just for the fun". We'll sorry, but that is simply bullshit. It's completely irresponsible to use an ineffective and potentially dangerous product that may not be humane to animals simply because it's fun to blow stuff up and listen to loud bangs.

As a 15 year old kid, we used to pour gasoline down the ground squirrel holes on the farm, wait a few seconds for the tunnels to fill with vapors, and light a match. There was a big bang and sometimes if we were lucky, we'd see a half charred squirrel run out of the hole. That was a lot of fun at the time.

Well, I'm not 15 anymore, I'm now 46 and a responsible professional who no longer gets any thrill with torching animals, and now I'm more concerned with things like effectiveness, professionalism, and not causing undue suffering to animals that might damage the image of the pest control industry.

In my view, these explosive devices have no place in burrowing animal control.

well said steve, we are proffessional people doing a proffessional job, we are not here to cause unnessesary suffering. :clapper::clapper:

I had a chance to see the Rodenator in operation a few months back, as I was doing the trapping component of a gopher control study that compared the effectiveness of several different methods of gopher control, and the guy doing the study plots next to mine was using a Rodenator. I was very impressed with how loud and powerful the blasts are. Even stronger than I thought they would be from having seen the youtube videos. We're talking about rattling windows and settin off car alarms from a hundred yards away.

Funny thing is, despite all that power, the burrowing critters seem to survive the blasts remarkably well. You go back to a blast zone the next day, and there are new gopher mounds everywhere. I think when the gophers or other animals hear the disturbance from the applicator on the surface, they probably head down as deep as they can into their burrow systems, and the power from the blasts seems to all come upwards out of the ground. So despite the impressive blasts, it just doesn't seem to kill the rodents consistently.

And it stands to reason that if many animals outright survive the blasts, others probably suffer non-lethal injuries, or injuries that don't kill them quickly and humanely.

And the one line I hear over and over again from Rodenator users is "you should get one just for the fun". We'll sorry, but that is simply bullshit. It's completely irresponsible to use an ineffective and potentially dangerous product that may not be humane to animals simply because it's fun to blow stuff up and listen to loud bangs.

As a 15 year old kid, we used to pour gasoline down the ground squirrel holes on the farm, wait a few seconds for the tunnels to fill with vapors, and light a match. There was a big bang and sometimes if we were lucky, we'd see a half charred squirrel run out of the hole. That was a lot of fun at the time.

Well, I'm not 15 anymore, I'm now 46 and a responsible professional who no longer gets any thrill with torching animals, and now I'm more concerned with things like effectiveness, professionalism, and not causing undue suffering to animals that might damage the image of the pest control industry.

In my view, these explosive devices have no place in burrowing animal control.

All signed

The sooner they get shot of these the better

Defra should take a long hard look at themselves for licensing these torture tools,and the joke about not using them if the burrow is occupied ,who would go out and buy one of these,drive to the first call to try and make their money back,check the burrow ?????? is not occupied find it is and walk away,sorry Mr customer cant do the job today the rabbit is home.Blow it up and hope they get away with it more like. :realmad: :realmad:

Rspca to busy going around bothering decent people who know what they are doing ,why dont they go out with the owner of one of these and find out how they check the burrows are empty.