Shooting Sticks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While you argumentative buggers were snoring in your pits :lazy: some of us were out in the dew-soaked grass. :secret:

An orange orb slowly crept above the horizon and it sure felt good to be out and about on a morning such as this.

The farmer, in typical farming fashion, had seen a deer and also a rub or two. He told me that the other day. Now this farmer has a couple of mangy curs running loose and deer do not last long on here, the bad bit being that the carcase , when accidentally killed by dogs roaming his farm, is pretty darn useless for anything but dog meat.

A large planting of native trees acts as a magnet for the roe. Birch, willow, ash, apple, wild plum as well as smaller shrubs must seam a feast for a wandering roe. Its not the deer's fault they cause damage, but then again, this young woodland cannot be demolished by excessive tree rubbing either. :o

With deer control in mind there was a couple of rides cut through the woodland and it was on these i trod slowly. I had not gone far, indeed, i had not even got into "stalking mode" when miraculously a red smudge appeared up ahead. I automatically dropped down and fingered the safety. Steadied by the single stick i made certain the beast was a buck before placing a 100grain through its neck at approximately one hundred yards. The buck dropped instantly and after giving it a few moment i had a good look. A last years buck with good body mass but horrendously poor antlers. But, this animal will eat very well indeed and will fill the void in the freezer......

It was a big adrenalin rush for the system and what a morning to be out.

Happy Hunting.......JD

p.s, i do fancy buying a pair of twin sticks to have a go with. can anyone recommend a decent pair ..cheers

post-16-1244842851_thumb.jpg

Get some plastic coated metal canes from B+Q and drill and bolt them together about 6" from top,as good as any you'll buy and only cost about a fiver so you wont be too pissed off when you leave them against a high seat and forget to pick them up on your way down

Abit of an update: I finally made a set of quadsticks and being putting them to the test this week. As expected they were very good while paper punching and I was getting very impressive groups. In the field Ive had a large dog fox and several rabbits using them and been very impressed, they take abit of getting used to when trying to set up. However, my ground suits them, I shoot over alot of open flat farm land so never had the problem of trying to set up on uneven ground or in woodland where sticks/leaves could interfere while setting the sticks up. I like the sticks but they will not suit everyone or suit everyones ground. It doesnt matter what people use, be it quadpod, tripod, bipod or monopod as long as the individual can place the bullet exactly where it needs to and kill their quarry humanely thats all that matters ;) happy hunting! :D

Guest Sheamus.

I used a single stick about 5 years ago. I think it never lasted out the season before i moved on to the commercially made shite sticks from Bushwear which lasted less.

Mind you the quality of them reflects in the price so dont buy any from there JD.

Good shot on the buck and nice rifle shame it`s only a 243,lol.

107.jpg

While you argumentative buggers were snoring in your pits :lazy: some of us were out in the dew-soaked grass. :secret:

An orange orb slowly crept above the horizon and it sure felt good to be out and about on a morning such as this.

The farmer, in typical farming fashion, had seen a deer and also a rub or two. He told me that the other day. Now this farmer has a couple of mangy curs running loose and deer do not last long on here, the bad bit being that the carcase , when accidentally killed by dogs roaming his farm, is pretty darn useless for anything but dog meat.

A large planting of native trees acts as a magnet for the roe. Birch, willow, ash, apple, wild plum as well as smaller shrubs must seam a feast for a wandering roe. Its not the deer's fault they cause damage, but then again, this young woodland cannot be demolished by excessive tree rubbing either. :o

With deer control in mind there was a couple of rides cut through the woodland and it was on these i trod slowly. I had not gone far, indeed, i had not even got into "stalking mode" when miraculously a red smudge appeared up ahead. I automatically dropped down and fingered the safety. Steadied by the single stick i made certain the beast was a buck before placing a 100grain through its neck at approximately one hundred yards. The buck dropped instantly and after giving it a few moment i had a good look. A last years buck with good body mass but horrendously poor antlers. But, this animal will eat very well indeed and will fill the void in the freezer......

It was a big adrenalin rush for the system and what a morning to be out.

Happy Hunting.......JD

p.s, i do fancy buying a pair of twin sticks to have a go with. can anyone recommend a decent pair ..cheers

Great being out there aint it JD..............Martin.