Airgun ranges?

Hi' folks.

I've read a few rather, erm, bold claims about airgun's effective killing ranges in a few recent posts.

What do you think, chaps? Out to 96m as has been claimed? Or do you think that's maybe just a tad too far for a 12ft/lb airgun?

Your thoughts, please!

Cheers.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scuba1

Last that I have heard is, that the ministry of defence is making plans to bin the .50 BMR and will equip the snipers with sub 12 ft/lbs .177 rifles for the long range shots and the .22 is going to be used for armoured targets. The only thing that has been a bit of a hold up is that they can't make their mind up weather to use CO2 powered rifles or PCP's. Air Arms only have that name because of the .20 calibre anti aircraft springer that the developed for the US army.

So killing bunnys at 107 yards is a piece of cake. Just make sure that you only clip them so as not to rip them to bits and have nothing for the pot.

Latest news just in......... A small village in Wales has been erased from the map by a stray .25 pellet.

That shows us ....... be careful out there and always wear your helmet when bunny bashing.

ATB

Michael

Last that I have heard is, that the ministry of defence is making plans to bin the .50 BMR and will equip the snipers with sub 12 ft/lbs .177 rifles for the long range shots and the .22 is going to be used for armoured targets. The only thing that has been a bit of a hold up is that they can't make their mind up weather to use CO2 powered rifles or PCP's. Air Arms only have that name because of the .20 calibre anti aircraft springer that the developed for the US army.

So killing bunnys at 107 yards is a piece of cake. Just make sure that you only clip them so as not to rip them to bits and have nothing for the pot.

Latest news just in......... A small village in Wales has been erased from the map by a stray .25 pellet.

That shows us ....... be careful out there and always wear your helmet when bunny bashing.

ATB

Michael

F*****g first class!!! :clapper::clapper::clapper:

Let's hope they never get hold of darts, or we're all doooooomed!

Cheers!

Guest Scuba1

Of a BBC site. :rolleyes:

An American aircraft carrier has sustained heavy damage by a .22crow magnum pellet that has re-entered the earth atmosphere of the south coast of Island. Navy intelligence have found the launch site to be a small back garden in Aberdeen and is was fired by a 14 year old youth who wanted to shoot a magpie out of a tree in his grandparents back yard and missed. The weapon in question, a so called rat catcher has been confiscated by a local armed response team.

ATB

Michael

Of a BBC site. :rolleyes:

An American aircraft carrier has sustained heavy damage by a .22crow magnum pellet that has re-entered the earth atmosphere of the south coast of Island. Navy intelligence have found the launch site to be a small back garden in Aberdeen and is was fired by a 14 year old youth who wanted to shoot a magpie out of a tree in his grandparents back yard and missed. The weapon in question, a so called rat catcher has been confiscated by a local armed response team.

ATB

Michael

You've been thinking about this for a while, haven't you?

I just hope they do the proper testing and research. As I said in a post a while ago from my own dealings with the (since banned by the Geneva Convention) Gat gun, the colour of the dart's flight's is vital.

Blue- Deadly at close range (300 yards) but affected by cross-winds.

Yellow- Good allrounder, but has limits on 'hard' targets past 500 yards.

Red- Uttrely overkill! Must not be used unless a full nuclear allert has beed issued!!!!!!!

Take care, folks. Take care.........

Cheers.

Guest Scuba1

There is however a kind of useful spin of for the military. Because the moderator that BSA deliver with their Ultras was found to be insufficient for air rifle use and most shooters have changed to a model from Weihrauch for their guns. BSA has now sold a batch for testing to the German forces because the 105mm howitzer they used for garden plinking was upsetting the neighbours from Oberfeldwebel Herman Knallkopf. But with the use of this slightly modified moderator the village can now sleep in peace.

Haubitzenschalldaempfer.jpg

ATB

Michael

michael, is that screw cut or a slip on moderator?????

the reason i ask is that my neighbour ( aprox 2 miles away, its very remote here !!) keeps complaining about the noise when im plinking in the orchard.

thanks in advance

sean

Guest Scuba1
More chance of the pope praying to MECCA ! try 30/40 (killing range) plinking 50ish,herd tales of rabbits at 70mtrs ,Hmm :whistling: .Somebody may

say different .

I tell you i have heard stories in the local pub of an air rifle club ( the B-ull S-hitters A-rms ) that would make you blush. :whistling:

ATB

Michael

Edited by Scuba1
Guest Scuba1
your all mad,but very funny

Its no good for a springer without welding some major reinforcements in there and I don't think it can take the pressure of a modern PCP to be honest.

HTH

Michael

More chance of the pope praying to MECCA ! try 30/40 (killing range) plinking 50ish,herd tales of rabbits at 70mtrs ,Hmm :whistling: .Somebody may

say different .

I tell you i have heard stories in the local pub of an air rifle club ( the B-ull S-hitters A-rms ) that would make you blush. :whistling:

ATB

Michael

I know of a similar club that's a bit bigger, the T-takeing H-hopeles L-long range shots.

Seems to be more popular than it should be though. Rather too hit or miss (wound), for my likeing.

Cheers.

Edited by andyfr1968
Guest Scuba1

US army Satellite photos reveal some extensive concrete structures at the coast of Iran, near Bandar Abbas. On closer inspection they have but pads in the centre of them. On questioning the Iranian ministry of defence, they stated that they are going to mount a battery of Meteors at that site in order to control the narrow straights separating the Arabian Golf from the Golf of Oman. This could put the peace in that area on a knife’s edge. When asking a spokesman from the United Arab Emirates he said “ If they go through with this we will put 8 Lightning XL’s on you base at Ras Al Khaymah to keep the military balance at par in that area.

However, both sides did not want to disclose what calibre those shore to ship guns are going to be.

ATB

Michael