Collie crosses for coursing ?

I have just registered and i'd like to say this is a very intresting site. Whilest I'm as keen as they come, I haven't kept lurchers for a long time still very much a novice. I hope I don't perster tomany people with silly questions, if i do, let me know. I am thick skined.

I thought i'd start a small thread off.

Here goes,

Has anyone has experiance coursing with collie crosses. I have a two year old three quarter grey one quarter collie that i'm hoping to try on hare this year. I relise that it is not the cross chosen by most coursing men, but I'm going to give it a go.

Has anyone had sucess with this cross? do you think that they can make the grade or not?

I look forward to your replys

Regards

Minion

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello minion

i think a 3/4 collie cross will be ok

i had a 7/8 grehound 1/8 collie that was as good as they come not quite the staying power of the dog i have got now but a very good all round lurcher

ps i hate over 500 rabbits in a year with her :yes:

this is my dog rio 6/8 greyhound 1/8 bull 1/8 saluki

Edited by merle

Hi Merle,

Thanks for giving me the link to this site. Like I said, it's very impresive.

I was woried about stamina, I think she would have enough speed but i don't know if she'd burn out to quick. I haven't worked her to hard in the past. She's 2 years 2 months old, and has only had 15 rabbits. She is the first lurcher i've had from a pup and I want to make a good job with her. I am just starting to work her harder and more frequent now. I hunt only for sport, not to fill the freezer, so numbers aren't that importiant to me. Needles to say I am impressed with the amount of bunnis you take, and with that others on the site take.

I'l keep you updated on my dogs progress through the site if your intrested.

Keep in touch,

Regards

Minion

You often hear of good collie crosses that people own for coursing, I've seen 5/8th beardie 3/8th greys running and they are not as bad as you would think...I own a 3/4 grey 1/4 collie myself, hes a big powerful dog 27" 70lb, his only fault is stamina, he burns up real quick......

If hare coursing is what you enjoy most I would definitely go for a saluki blooded dog... :yes:

When i was a youngster i used to knock about with a lad that had a couple of good dogs.....one of them was called "Clyde" , it was a 70lb 26" collie grey (1/4collie) and he used it for hares only...this dog, in its first season, killed quite a good amount. The dog was very fit and it was only run on hares...and i think that made all the difference...a few years down the line it started spewing on the runs...in the end the dog died of bone cancer.....it was a fair dog, good hunting JD

Hi Ian,

I did think about getting a dog just for coursing, but I also have a terrier and I don't want to end up with two many dogs and no time to work them enough. I will give Tess ago on hare when she's ready and if i get "the bug" (and I think I might) then I will maybee get a dog with purely coursing in mind. Who knows? I better sweet talk my wife ;)

Guest drummer

hare coursing is not for collie crosses of any stamp imho(unless you go to 1/8th collie or less,and then youve lost most of the collie atributes) , now hare catching is a diferent ball game altogether,(no official law given, the dog off the lead finding and catching its own prey, this is totaly different from hare coursing) and a 3/4 bred collie greyhound will catch any amount of hares, over its life span, and as JD says if ran on them all the time,the dogs fitness will improve in leaps and bounds, as there is a vast diference in rabbit fit and hare fit and they will pick up the diferent way of running them as opposed to rabbits, so dont think it cant catch them even if it misses a fair few, they run totaly diferent from rabbits and its a whole new ball game for the dog to learn, and just to piss off the purists ;) why not try it on a lamped hare first, these are easier and you can at least see if the dog will put up a decent show on one, good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Sadly i would have to stick with drummer.... even tho there have been many collie  X,s they lack the lung capacity and stamina for a whole days coursing... in time it shows to the detriment of the dog  <_<

minion

i am a new member aswell, i have a collie x i wouldnt class her as a out and out coursing dog but on the way back from ferreting if a hare or two get up she holds her own and catches a few

Sadly i would have to stick with drummer.... even tho there have been many collie  X,s they lack the lung capacity and stamina for a whole days coursing... in time it shows to the detriment of the dog  <_<

minion

i am a new member aswell, i have a collie x i wouldnt class her as a out and out coursing dog but on the way back from ferreting if a hare or two get up she holds her own and catches a few

I don't know what you mean about coursing and hare[catching] I work collie x and the've caught hares well but I dont live on the fens aand as for lacking in lung capacity and stamina, well thats bollox mate

minion

I don't know what you mean about coursing and hare[catching] I work collie x and the've caught hares well but I dont live on the fens aand as for lacking in lung capacity and stamina, well thats bollox mate

No i stand by what i have said you can catch hares with such crosses but slip after slip trust me one dead dog... Greys are sprint dogs collies stayers in slow mode... but the the cross will blow out because of the above.. seen it too many times sadly!

Well maybe there are exceptions to the rule lads, but my own present dog, although he is well past his cell by date for running hares caught well into treble figures whilst coursing in his first 3 seaons of his life.The first two were he was run at hares only, the third season i used him for everything and anything, which imo is what i should have done with him from day one.He is a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie and in his day, on the land i ran my hares on he would hold his own with ANY coursing dog and proved his worth against some of the finest saluki bred types in my area.

Now although im not a no.s man the dog would regularly take 3 and 4 hares in a morning, not a mean feet to some lads but were i come from hares are well dogged and hard enough killed, this dog was a master at them.Now, i would personally call him a hare killer rather than a courser.The dog was slipped off slips with fair law for the size of the land given at all times, he very seldom missed, he had unbelivable turn of foot and a phenonemol strike, excellent wind and a brain to beat.Once upon his hare he would box it to the centre of the feild off the hegerows, as soon as he had the hare in the open he would strike, knowing that if he missed he would have enough time and land to regain his composure and strike again before the hare made it to the safety of the hedgerows.A wonderfull dog to ow and watch work, but sadly for me i should have thought of the longer run, the bigger picture, being so fast etc. the dog would get knocked up quite regular, small injurys mainly but over time these all added up, i feel had i worked him in the true manner he should have been worked in the eraly years of his life and not just run him on hares i would have got an extra season or two running from him, but you live and learn.

The dog is seven years old almost and although he wasnt abused in any way shape of form, the running of a fantastic athlete, the hare on such a regular basis shortened the dogs working life span imo.

By advice would be to anyone that wants a hare dog, get one thats been bred for them, if you do however have a collirx or any other type of cross and you want to run hares go ahead and do it, you will never know until you try, but they certainly arent bred for the specifics of just being a hare dog, so tread carefull else you will end up like me, learning from your mistakes :D:good::good: