springer advice spitting out the dummy

hi all well i have been on the look out for a while there and found a young bitch part trained local to me with the right breeding behind her well she sits stays stops on the whistle quarters changes direction on the whistle she will go in any direction i point her and she will go to a dummy and retrieve so far but then drops it sometimes quite close to me other times 10yards or so i can send her back but its like she avoids it and turns her head away she is also quite weary of people she wouldnt come out the kennel to start with i had to go in sit with her for 5 mins first she now comes out and walks to heal of the leash but hates strange men i think she has had a thumping and the only thing i could think of with the dummy is her getting a row for droping it or getting a thump with it which would make her scared of it because iv had springers in the past as have mates and they are normaly forward dogs who love to retrieve my uncle always said never to let my beating dog pick up as all it will want to do is hunt and find game to bring back just wondered if anyone had any advice im just gonna keep her away from the dummy for a bit walk her etc show her im not going to hit her for anything a and then maybe once a week a 5 min sesion with a dummy short retrieves with lots of praise and a treat if retrieved properly just to bring her forward once my dogs retrieve properly they only get to do it once a week or once a fourtnight anyway as i dont want a dog that just wants to retrieve all the time i need a dog that will hunt aswell as sit in a hide aswell anyway some advice would be nice guys ill get a pick up with her soon just awa out with the lot of them the now so ill get a pick up .

regards kris

Forget the canvas dummy for the time being as it is obviously upsetting her. Forget about formal retreives too.

The following is what Jim Greenwood taught me and it works every time even with dogs that aren't natural retrievers and especially with shyer dogs.

Get the dog out in the garden or yard on its own. Sit on the ground with a toy, plastic Cola bottle or old rolled up socks: anything small enough and light enough to carry easily.

Now play with the object yourself! Throw it in the air and catch it again. Drag it around you fast and do lots of silly laughing as though your'e really having fun. Encourage the dog to come and have a smell of the object, tease her with it, but don't throw it for a few moments.

when the dog is well relaxed and looking happy and excited throw the object just a couple of yards. The dog should by now be desperate to join in your game and go to the object and pick it up. If she doesn't, just go and pick it up yourself and carry on playing your silly game by yourself, talking to the dog and trying to get her interest at the same time. She should eventually grab it when you throw it: don't give up, even if you have to throw it several times. Keep the tone of the game light hearted and fun.

When the dog does pick up the object call her to you, still sitting down, and when she comes to you don't try and take the object from her, just put your hand on her side, praise her and slowly take hold of the object, but don't try and pull it out of her mouth. She should let go fairly soon, and as she does you say "Give".

Repeat the silly games all over again, but only once more. Don't be tempted to over do it.

I've had very nervous dogs and total non retrievers catch on to this way of learning to retrieve in only a couple of sessions. The reasons are a) the dog sees the object as yours because you are playing with it in the first place, and as you've been playing and been so kind as to let the dog join in, they are usually happy to bring the object back to you for more games.

B) by sitting down you are no longer a big imposing and possibly threatening creature: you are down on the dog's level so it will feel more confident.

Hope this helps.

Sky Cats advice sounds really good!

Have you read Peter Moxons, "Training The Roughshooter's Dog"? If not go to the library and get them to order it for you, it's full of good advice. I bought a copy and it was the best £15.00 I ever spent.

I am unwilling to suggest a cure all because i don't think I can judge your dog as well as you can. To make the dummy more appealing you can tie some pheasant/partridge/duck wings on it. But most springers and labs I have known want to carry something in their mouth all the time.

Atb, ft

Edited by flytie

cheers for the advice guys when the bitch see's the dummy she is excited and waits for you to throw it sits eagerly and then on comand runs over and piks it up its when she gets close to me she seems to be scared to bring it all the way to me and drops it before reaching me she does exactly the same with a rabbitskin type dummy and with a feathered dummy ill try the other method mentioned above and see how she gets on im just taking it easy with retrieves the now as she is brilliant at everything else and she will be more for the beating than anything else but ill put a bit time in twice a week with her retrieves .

regards kris

Forget the canvas dummy for the time being as it is obviously upsetting her. Forget about formal retreives too.

The following is what Jim Greenwood taught me and it works every time even with dogs that aren't natural retrievers and especially with shyer dogs.

Get the dog out in the garden or yard on its own. Sit on the ground with a toy, plastic Cola bottle or old rolled up socks: anything small enough and light enough to carry easily.

Now play with the object yourself! Throw it in the air and catch it again. Drag it around you fast and do lots of silly laughing as though your'e really having fun. Encourage the dog to come and have a smell of the object, tease her with it, but don't throw it for a few moments.

when the dog is well relaxed and looking happy and excited throw the object just a couple of yards. The dog should by now be desperate to join in your game and go to the object and pick it up. If she doesn't, just go and pick it up yourself and carry on playing your silly game by yourself, talking to the dog and trying to get her interest at the same time. She should eventually grab it when you throw it: don't give up, even if you have to throw it several times. Keep the tone of the game light hearted and fun.

When the dog does pick up the object call her to you, still sitting down, and when she comes to you don't try and take the object from her, just put your hand on her side, praise her and slowly take hold of the object, but don't try and pull it out of her mouth. She should let go fairly soon, and as she does you say "Give".

Repeat the silly games all over again, but only once more. Don't be tempted to over do it.

I've had very nervous dogs and total non retrievers catch on to this way of learning to retrieve in only a couple of sessions. The reasons are a) the dog sees the object as yours because you are playing with it in the first place, and as you've been playing and been so kind as to let the dog join in, they are usually happy to bring the object back to you for more games.

B) by sitting down you are no longer a big imposing and possibly threatening creature: you are down on the dog's level so it will feel more confident.

Hope this helps.

As usual top advice P can i suggest you using an old smelly warm sock off your smelly foot Kris..turn inside out and do as Skycats advice sitting down or on kitchen floor ..then place the said smelly sock on the dummy.....If your happy with the results advance a little by trying this..it works best with a fence line ,railings or hedge with no gaps..

Take her to your trg ground with dog on lead ...drop the dummy behind you in full view of the dog walk a short distance checking that the dog keeps looking back ..when youve walked a few yards away turn and face the direction of dummy let the dog run back for the dummy ...if she picks it as she gets to you start walking away as the dog comes to you stop and take the dummy if she drops the dummy try again this time keep walking away as she gets too you she shouldnt drop it ..as you continue to walk ..

Regards Steve

Atb Steve

cheers for the advice guys when the bitch see's the dummy she is excited and waits for you to throw it sits eagerly and then on comand runs over and piks it up its when she gets close to me she seems to be scared to bring it all the way to me and drops it before reaching me she does exactly the same with a rabbitskin type dummy and with a feathered dummy ill try the other method mentioned above and see how she gets on im just taking it easy with retrieves the now as she is brilliant at everything else and she will be more for the beating than anything else but ill put a bit time in twice a week with her retrieves .

regards kris

Just a question really - Are you 100% sure she is not prey possessive- If she is you could try turning your back on her when she is coming in with the dummy and start walking away and try to bring her to heel so you have her under control and then build from there. It has worked with my dog.

Good point there: only the handler can tell whether the bitch is being possessive or nervous by reading her body language. The internet is great, but no substitute for being there and seeing the dog in the flesh.

• 2 weeks later...

How is she getting on mate.Have you tried her in the water yet?Throw the dummie in the water but dont go in send her for it wait on the edge of the river and she should bring it strait back take it from her the praise her and repeat. See how she goes with that.

hi mate she is getting there everythings perfect sept when she gets to me its like she is over excited and drops the dummy wagging her tail and cowing i just praise her and try again she does the same on water but ill try stoping her at the edge while she doesnt have the chance to drop it excitedly cheers for the advice :)

post-31826-1244484150_thumb.jpg This is me and my boy bow.Iwouldn`t praise her because she thinks she is doing good by droping it in front of you.Throw the dummie and when she is coming back then walk backwards and tell her to come with you by calling her a good girl etc see how she goes.My mate had this problem with his cocker this is how i got her to come strait back she has never gone wrong again and is one of the best cockers on our beat. best wishes.