Found a nest amongst the abandoned farm machinery today....

sh032.jpg

Took me right back to when I was a bairn

sh033.jpg

I don't know if this clutch will survive though as we'd just bolted a fox from these bales not minutes before, and it's a bit close to the nest

sh035.jpg

THOSE BLACKBIRDS WILL BUILD ANYWHERE !

LAST YEAR , I WAS PAINTING A BUILDING WHEN AN EMPTY TIN ROLLED OFF THE ROOF INTO SOME BRAMBLES <_< ....NEVER MIND ILL GET IT LATER ....WENT TO GET IT NEXT TIME IT PASSED MY MIND , WHICH WAS ONLY A COUPLE OF DAYS LATER AND IT HAD A BLACKIES NEST IN IT ....... SHE RAISED 2 BROODS IN IT THAT YEAR .

I CUT OUT THE PLY FOR 10 BOXES OF DIFFERING TYPES AND LET THE KIDS KNOCK THEM TOGETHER , STAIN THEM ETC ....THEN WE WENT AND PUT THEM UP ON OUR LOCAL DOG WALKING ROUTE OVER THE FIELDS ..IT GAVE THE KIDS SOMETHING TO WATCH OUT FOR AND THE INCENTIVE TO WANT TO TAKE THE DOGS A WALK EVEN WHEN IT WAS DAMP AND MISERABLE .

THIS YEAR WE HAVE ANOTHER 16 [ 8 EACH ] TO GO UP ...THE LITTLE UNS HAVE JUST GIVEN THEM THE LAST COAT ;)

ALL THE BEST DUCKWING :big_boss:

• 2 weeks later...

Left the shed door open (none intentionally) few times last year. Realising my stupid error I made sure to lock up a lot more carefully. There was an awful commotion about an hour later were a blackie was "attacking" the shed door ,I watched with amusement for a few mins until it clicked. Opened the shed door and had a good look about, nothing as I thought. Only thing positioned high is an old tool box, and there it was a nest with a clutch. Couldn’t believe how quickly this had all happened. :search: Had to leave the door ajar until she raised them. Interesting viewing i might add :D

I found a robins nest with 5 eggs,a blackies nest with 3 eggs and a song thrush nest with 4 chicks in it whilst out raking yesterday,it does take you back to when you were younger right enough,except in those days i might have rumbled an egg or two. :whistle:

When i lived in Wanborough, the farm we where at, had a small run way, and airoplane work shop...just for small planes, the Bye-planes and all that..i think they had a few Gliders as well...every year in that work shop, there where a pair of Collard Doves that would nest in the rafters...there nest was made completey of aliminium shards and wire...no soft stuff,all metal!...i wouldnt fancy sitting on that!

Kye,..