Ferret & Trapping for amatuer game keepers By Guy N Smith

This is absolute b****s - Dont buy it, I have never ead so much nonsense in my life, Just some of the stuff he says:

"Set snares 3.5" high from the ground along runs"

"Although a blood thirsty creature the ferret can usually be treated as a pet, but never let it be handled by children"

"All cleaning of the cage will have to stopped until the kits are feeding themselves"

"Treat distemper with crushed aspirin, and bread and milk with TCP added" wtf!!

I have never read a more nonsense book in life - Stick to the horror stories Guy.

This is absolute b****s - Dont buy it, I have never ead so much nonsense in my life, Just some of the stuff he says:

"Set snares 3.5" high from the ground along runs"

"Although a blood thirsty creature the ferret can usually be treated as a pet, but never let it be handled by children"

"All cleaning of the cage will have to stopped until the kits are feeding themselves"

I have never read a more nonsense book in life - Stick to the horror stories Guy.

I agree. Most of his country books have attractive titles, especially to the young sportsman, but the contents are invariably rubbish. However, I believe his horror titles are quite collectable.

I got that book from the man that sold me the first 2 ferrets I ever owned, about 15 years ago...I remember reading it then and thinking how great it was....I often wondered why my snares never worked though! I thought I was crap at snaring, but it turned out HE was crap at it!

You did well buddy i would have put it in me fire best place for it i have never read it but when i started to read this thread i saw Set snares 3.5" high from the ground along runs"

And was like wtf what a load of crap good on you lads

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to go against the flow on this lads, but I quite enjoy his fieldsports books

You have to remember that these are old now - that one was first published in 1978 which is over 30 years ago. You can't expect a book which is that old to have all the best and most up to date thinking in it.

I find them an interesting read but probably not suitable as a 'manual for a novice ferreter'.

Mine you there are people publishing some of the same sort of ideas even now so you should never take anything you read at face value.

• 1 month later...