You'll have a good laugh at this, But thats my dog Ruby in the corner...Ive had her for a couple of months, shes a few years old, And in that time Ive got her to do a lot of stuff, Some of the things she was maybe taught before, so its not down to me, But she picks things up brilliantly, even playing dead! I just do it for the fun as she enjoys all the fuss anyway...But of everything, she will not sit! I have tried and tried and tried every way I can find on you tube and in books, But she just wont do it, theres no need for her to do it, but I just wanted her to learn it, as she will stay and lye down and heel and everything, but I thought sitting would be the easiest...as anybody any suggestions?

My partners dog never sat lol he told me never in a month of sundays would i get her to sit :no: I sat with a bog pack of smackos and three other dogs and every time they sat they got a treat and if she didnt the 1rst few times so got nothing within 30 seconds she sat for a treat no bother and i was still the only one to get her to do it lol.Cos im the one who always has the snacks handy.

Taught my patterdale by putting a piece of chicking in my hand (or something you know they love), closing it in a fist in front of his nose and repeating the command, if the dog wants it enough it will go through every trick it knows to get the grub, as soon as her arse touches the deck instantly open your hand then make a big fuss, then just repeat until she gets it first time!

if its a running dog, i read some were that with there longer spine it can be uncomfortable for them stay in the sitting position... this could be why

I'd agree with dogman89, I know a guy who breeds racing greyhounds and he says they sometimes find it uncomfortable to sit like other dogs normally would. My 3/4 greyhound pup will sit on command but she often rolls her legs to one side and sits on one of her hips, and then quickly moves into a lying position. Not to worry, it sounds like you're doing a great job with your dog if it does stay/heel/down, that's more than most dogs I know :)

atb, JL

Maybe it is uncomfortable, becuase if I make her stay for any length of time, she lies down flat....Probably thats what it is.

if its a running dog, i read some were that with there longer spine it can be uncomfortable for them stay in the sitting position... this could be why

I'd agree with dogman89, I know a guy who breeds racing greyhounds and he says they sometimes find it uncomfortable to sit like other dogs normally would. My 3/4 greyhound pup will sit on command but she often rolls her legs to one side and sits on one of her hips, and then quickly moves into a lying position. Not to worry, it sounds like you're doing a great job with your dog if it does stay/heel/down, that's more than most dogs I know :)

atb, JL

Maybe it is uncomfortable, becuase if I make her stay for any length of time, she lies down flat....Probably thats what it is.

right enough, mine would sit then either stand or roll down. As long as she stayed when I said it didn't matter how she sat. Heard too that when ferreting it's not ideal to have them sitting or laying as takes extra second to get going. But that was a plummer book before I got dogs haha