fresh water eels.

Guest rodsmith

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rodsmith
aquatels essex six and seven pounders regularly snaffle the boilies barsteward things

:censored: :censored: :censored:

lovely,wish i had them round here at that size.where did you say the lake is? do they do day tickets? id only want to fish for the eels! not interested in the carp,got loads of the b*****ds round here.PM me if poss. :thumbs:

Guest rodsmith
ther is no decline around here they are everywhere lol i only get the hook out now and again when they roll into that b*****d ball on the line.

where,where,where?????? PM me. :thumbs:

Practically all lakes with feeder streams have them. You want somewhere 15 years old at least IMO....

half a gudgeon legered under the rod tip in the margins sorts the pythons out. Looking forward to doing a bit of eeeling this season myself...JD

dissagree :icon_redface: . must be i tidal river near.we got some of the finest chalk stream/rivers in the country round here,along with some excellent lakes for the specimen hunters.99% are fed by feeder steams.no eels though! i know most of the river keepers in the area through doing the mink hounds,the nearest keeper to have seen/caught an eel is miles away.how i wish we had them here.bait wise i use lob worm or roach head or have done well on chunks of fish. :thumbs:

That is definitely not right. I'm in the upper trent area round stoke and used to catch a lot of eels when nightfishing for the carp in my younger days. The closer to a river or stream the better I would have said. One pool that always had a lot of eels was about 100 yards from the river sow which is a tiny trib. of the trent near eccleshall.

Guest rodsmith
Heres an eel I caught early last year...21lb, I got a bigger one in october, 36.5lb, But I didnt get a picture myself, another lad took one of it and was to post it to me, But it never came.... :thumbdown:

Image010-1.jpg

:clapper: nice fish fella,shame the fresh water eels didnt reach that weight!!

Heres an eel I caught early last year...21lb, I got a bigger one in october, 36.5lb, But I didnt get a picture myself, another lad took one of it and was to post it to me, But it never came.... :thumbdown:

Image010-1.jpg

Thats a bloody big eel mate, although i caught my share of eels i never had the pleasure to meet such a nice specimen,welldone :)

That one is nothing compared to the one I got at 36.5lb....It was a brute of an eel & I didnt get a picture,The guy that took the picture fishes at the same spot an odd time, But I havent bumped into him yet unfortunately.

Guest rodsmith
me and me lad fished the river brock that runs into the wyre last night ,had about 30 bootlaces ,it was eel after eel ,but we was after trout :(

nice one.what do you call a bootlace as i regard an eel under 1lb a bootlace.

take it you were using worm???

we had one about a pound and rest were well under ,all caught in a weir pool ,its a high one and nothing can get up it as there is no ladder there ,all sea trout and anything else gets stuck here and cant travel any ferther up stream ,was watching sea trout last week trying to get up only a few but it gets busy later in year ,just nice to see them this early ,was using maggot and worm ,didnt even need a starlight just cast in a hold your line a few seconds and another eel :D

Guest rodsmith
we had one about a pound and rest were well under ,all caught in a weir pool ,its a high one and nothing can get up it as there is no ladder there ,all sea trout and anything else gets stuck here and cant travel any ferther up stream ,was watching sea trout last week trying to get up only a few but it gets busy later in year ,just nice to see them this early ,was using maggot and worm ,didnt even need a starlight just cast in a hold your line a few seconds and another eel :D

it must be full of them.surely theres a few bigguns in there??

i would think so ,seems like the pools alive with them ,the river is very small but crystal clear ,dont no if eels return to river or if they stay in river as they grow ,but you no the saying ,there goto be bigone,s if there,s small one,s might be better off dead baiting for big one,s ,lost a belter years back on canal (lancaster) had it on a sand eel deadbaiting for pike ,i played it for sometime and when i got it to net i hadnt hooked it ,the eel was holding on to the bottom of the sand eel looked at me and just let go and slid away was gutted .i,d say 6lb + easy .but thats fishing for you

he,s a couple of river