AIREDALE TERRIERS COULD BE ON THE WAY!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your being a bit unfair on Skycat here, the CMW will accept a whole batch of articles and then publish them as and when they see fit. How do you know this isnt what Skycat does? If the womans been ill cut her a bit of slack all shes doing is trying to get in touch with people who are interested in the breed, how does it affect you personally? :blink:

I think your being a bit unfair on Skycat here, the CMW will accept a whole batch of articles and then publish them as and when they see fit. How do you know this isnt what Skycat does? If the womans been ill cut her a bit of slack all shes doing is trying to get in touch with people who are interested in the breed, how does it affect you personally? :blink:

I agree give the lass a break !!! Good luck with the breeding Skycat

ATB Ben

ive also met skycat she keeps and works a fair amount of dogs, and i have to say this lady knows what shes about,i went to see some pups she had and i could,nt fault her or her charges, i dont get cmw, its about time people on here got on with what ever it is they do and stop slagging others off, this post was supposed to be a point of interest, and no im not in anyones pocket before its said, i like to see what other do.

sjm No i have nothing against sky cat. But as she was writing about this seasons sport fair to guess the post were new. We all have interest in dogs but we dont have to breed them to meet others. A bit ironic to see this next to the puppy peddlers topic. Is a peddler not a person that breeds dogs for money .recently there was a do about piccally lurcher's were it seemed to me she didnt want to upset the breeders puppies sales. If your going t o write about something you have to write about it warts and all. Otherwise its only fair you get asked. Thats how it all ways was way back when cmw was the mag.

he sent down a litter of black pups, to keep his blood lines about, i know a lad who still has one and there was no charge, when i last saw him, he,d just had a bitch sent over, and he was moving to scotland, lost touch with him.

world rulers right I remember hearing that he does this, and theres been no mention of any money changing hands simply a post to clarify whos still wanting them so the guy knows he has homes waiting. if people can find fault with that then I dont know there is just no pleasing some people :blink::no:

Well I wasn't going to reply to Weasle, but it seems he/she has a problem reading words: LOL and more to the point, understanding their meaning correctly: even more LOL.

I did write about the Picardy lurchers, and if you had read correctly you would have seen that they are not the dogs for me: too hyper for me, though that doesn't stop me admiring their working qualities: now WHERE exactly does that try not to upset the breeder's puppy sales? Forgive me if I'm being dim, but I can't see where you are coming from on that one.

Regarding the Airedales, and I don't like speaking in Ian's place but I'm going to have to here: the others who said he gives his pups to working homes are right: he has never charged money for an Airedale pup that is going to a working home. He gave me mine, and will give the litter to come to responsible people. All he cares about is getting the working type Airedale back to its country of origin: the UK.

He finds it a shame that the Airedale has continued to be a hunting dog in the USA and Canada, not to mention the Airedale blooded hunting dogs in Australia, but in the UK where the dogs originated, they are hardly ever (I won't say never as there are a few picking up on the shooting field albeit from English show stock) hunted or worked in the field.

I see no problem in what Ian is doing at all, which is why I am trying to help him. I've not met many English bred Airedales, but the ones I have met are light years away from my Redline bitch in terms of being switched on and sharp. I don't know enough about the English bred Airedales to say if they are super brainy or not: maybe they are just a breed that fell out of fashion in the field: just as they fell out of fashion as police dogs once the German Shepherd was brought over here: but they (the Airedales) are still used as Search and Rescue dogs in some countries, and they are used for picking up on the shooting field in the States, as well as retrieving from water and being used to hunt big game.

IMO the reason the Airedale appeals to some people so much is not only their working traits, but their character and personality: they are real people dogs, and if you give these dogs a chance they'll be your best mate, guard you and your family, play with the kids, even help round up livestock. Its the whole Airedale package that appealed to me when I did my original research on them, having met Ian and Dill's sire at a little show soon after he'd come out of quarantine.

There he stood, about one year old, calm and not phased by all the noise and dogs and people around him, and don't forget he'd spent half his life in quarantine!

So it was this attitude and temperament that drew me, plus the legs like tree trunks and feet like you've never seen on a running dog, and I immediately thought that there was the potential to create a really tough useful lurcher.

Sorry, I've drivelled on, but I just wanted to get the point across that in my humble opinion these dogs have a lot to offer as working dogs in the hunting field. My dogs are not only hunting dogs, they are my buddies, and let's face it, they spend less time in the field than they do at home or just on exercise (all bloody summer!) so they've got to be nice to live with as well as performing in the field. That's just my take on things anyway.

I'll say no more on the subject on this thread: the people interested have contacted me which is all I wanted: thanks guys. I'll be in touch.

Firstly must apologies to "ian" i think you said, what i said was not nice if he is what you say.Thanks for replying your self. No dont have any trouble in reading,but as out of the two dogs you have had a close expierance with, one was put down because of its tempermant(You did not mention this till you had to), and the other i think im right in saying has just finished its first season,and yet you congratulate him on his breeding.Seems a bit hastey.Any way could keep finding discrepencies, but life is to short.

I am a Airedale fan myself so dont need any selling.I just dont like to see writers using there influence to popularise any breed for what ever reason.Would David hancock, have sold the same amount of puppies without his friend pluging them? Just a example.

As for Airedale lurchers, It would be a disaster for people to see you writing about these, and rushing out to get one. How many post on here do you see of my" 8month old pup lamping". There prey drive is high, and early on speed slow. Most would be ruined before a year old,and way before they learned they had speed,just one reason they wouldnt suit most.

As a writer i believe you have a certain responsibility, as we all do not to add to the amount of unwanted dogs.

Any way take that as you like,but im not trying to be smart, just speaking about something i care about.If you want to make out im stupid you can.But im not and my c.v around animals would be better than most.

Guest miller1989

Skycat has it spot on,im always intersted in any airedale thread i own and run the airedale lurcher and Skycat put it to a T. With this cross i believe its all about time and effort and if you have that its one of the best dogs to have in your kennels,without patience,time and effort this breed/cross would not be for you!

Skycat has it spot on,im always intersted in any airedale thread i own and run the airedale lurcher and Skycat put it to a T. With this cross i believe its all about time and effort and if you have that its one of the best dogs to have in your kennels,without patience,time and effort this breed/cross would not be for you!

your the YOUNG lad that is lamping through the summer so as to get your dog fit are you not, sorry mate your views dont count to me.