AIREDALE TERRIERS COULD BE ON THE WAY!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do these dogs come with a pedigree ?? are they registered with any kennel club ?

No. Have a look on the US forum: The Traditional Working Airedale: there are other forums as well but that is the only one dedicated to the Airedale, I believe.

i know the guy from high country kennels, his dogs are very tightly bred.

i looked into bringing in some airedales for pighunting but for the expence i would have prefered to have a papered dog, the jagd terriers are something i'm looking at now.

I'm well impressed, good on ya mate! :clapper:

the 2 dogs that will be breed i have the papers for but i have not registered my dogs as i believe that its the papers that have ruined the hunting dog , i will tell you the dogs background and also the names of the people that i got them from and will also tell you what website you can find them on to ask them yourself about there dogs , if i was to breed and sell these dogs with papers i believe that a lot would only be looking for a dog to breed and make money from as these dogs if i wanted to go down that road myself i could sell here in the UK for £1000.00 each , these dogs are from dogs that are some of the best in the US and even there , there are some like me that will not register there dogs for the same reason as me , i will only register my dogs on a working only register that only proven dogs can put there names on and at this time there is no such register

Ian

This breeding is not to be this time, but what a storm in a teacup the whole topic caused LOL :D Once again: sorry people who were wanting one in this country: but I don't blame the Aussie guys as the cost was going to be silly money to get the pups over there: see beginning of thread.

Edited to add: this won't now take place as the import cost for the guys in Oz was too high: crazy money working out at over £2000 just for the flights, not to mention 1300 Oz dollars for 30 days quarantine plus all the vacss and blood tests etc.

A real shame and there just aren't enough people to warrant a mating at this time in the UK: maybe next year if the interest is there.

Sorry to dissapoint you who were hoping to get a pup but Ian wouldn't breed unless at least 6 pups were spoken for: so its right, there is a very limited market but we'll see, as I'm sure they'd make great rough shooters' dogs as well as vermin dogs.

Once again apologies to the people who wanted one.

hi penny shame that.......was looking forward to training up a new pup ..but i totally understand that ian would want at least 6 dog homes before lineing his bitch ........hopefully sumit might change with some extra intrest.....but if not i,ll probley still av room if a litter comes across next year as i aint in any rush and will tentively wait and see [bANNED TEXT] will happen next year........thanks again penny....cheers mark

Although I don't shoot myself I think they'd make very good rough shooters' dogs as I've already said elsewhere. I'm not saying they'd be any better than other types of dog, but they do have a character all of their own, very owner orientated and want to learn anything you care to teach them.

I think that although there is a limited market for them once you've had one you and worked with it over a number of years then you'd never want to be without one again.

Nose: on a par with a good HPR or Spaniel: hunts using both these breeds' styles.

Brains: definitely on a par with a good Collie.

Brawn (aka strength): very good for a dog of their size, bearing in mind that mine is only 22": very strong and good on their feet.

Terrier mentality: right up there with the boldest but a lot more amenable to discipline and obedience than a lot of terriers.

Guts: more than enough for most people though obviously mine is too young to have been fully tested yet.

Guarding instinct: highly developed: mine is now maturing and showing a good home and property guarding instinct.

Soundness: mine doesn't seem to have any weaknesses at all and to date has never been sick or unwell.

Coat: the typical Redline coat, similar to a Lakeland terrier is self maintaining: a quick comb over to get out mud and burs etc.

Skin: like a rhino.

I could go on, but one thing's for sure, if you have not got enough time, patience, intelligence to match the dog's brains, then forget it. Not the sort of dog to leave sat in a kennel: but no dog will ever reach its potential if you leave it in a kennel 23/7 and don't get it out in the field.

Finally: so far mine beats the little terriers hands down as far as finding and marking game is concerned: talking rabbits and feather so far.

hello sky cat,just a few we ones for you and im not trying to start any debait just sky cats opinion,would you say the working airdales you keep are on pare with a good type bullterrier or a wheaton in the prey drive department,i have no exsperience with them but would say they look very workman like,have you any exsperience with say a first cross type and do they produce what you have already stated but in a lurcher.thanks doga.

• 4 months later...

Only just seen that this has been resurrected and I didn't see Doga's last post; sorry for not replying!

I'm no Bull expert but from the ones I've seen out at digs etc I'd say my Airedale is every bit as keen, though as yet not fully tested. Last season was a wipeout for me through illness, so its all systems go this winter: put it this way, on recent occasions when a terrier has dropped to ground, its only the size of the Airedale that stops her following to ground as well, and I struggled to hold her back even though she's only small compared to some of the Bull crosses around. She's just coming up 2 years old now and her attitude is pretty full on.