Long Range Varminting in Cornwall .UK.

Guest varmartin

Hi 243wayne yes i have joined the varminthunters association of america recently , what made me join is they have a great quarterly magazine which is so in depth with all aspects of varmint hunting!!! A friend of mine in wales sent me some down to read and they are brilliant. I think it is well woth joining for the magazine alone!!!!!!! Another good read is small caliber news magazine , Try this link www. smallcalibernews.com

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi 243wayne yes i have joined the varminthunters association of america recently , what made me join is they have a great quarterly magazine which is so in depth with all aspects of varmint hunting!!! A friend of mine in wales sent me some down to read and they are brilliant. I think it is well woth joining for the magazine alone!!!!!!! Another good read is small caliber news magazine , Try this link www. smallcalibernews.com

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo:dscf08939wt.jpg

Guest 243wayne

:laugh: Hi i recieved my new issue yesterday what great reading it is, also have tried the smallcaliber news a few years ago sent a photo in to the varminter mag of a nights foxing it took two years to get plubished but it was worth it.

;)

Edited by 243wayne
Guest 243wayne

:D hi to all what a great site this is. anybody a member of the varmint hunter association in the usa varmartin and varminter would have no trouble getting in the 500 yard club.varmartin my .243 vls shoot the 70 gr speer tnt very well tryed 75gr vmax 80gr 90 gr bergers very well also. it didnt like the 70gr nosler as much only shoots into 1inch at 100 yards what distance do you set the 58gr vmax off the lands as the vls has a long throat and the 58gr vmax has quite a jump in to the lands.my 70 s are 40 thou off the lands but still shoot good i use h4350 481/2gr lapua brass fed match 70gr tnt for the foxes crows rabbits hares but didnt try anything lighter because of the rifles long throat thats in my rifle and has a 1 in 9 1/8 twist but must try some now. just had a 6mmbr put on but thats another story thanks for the warm welcome varmartin and varminter :yahoo:

hi 243wayne

my VLS also has long throat 1-9 1/8 twist . i load my 58 vmax to 40 thou off the lands also,

seems like sush a long way when all my other work on loadind is spent getting them right on the lands or a few thou off, but 40 ?? but then i thought check some of the best factory loads and they are way off and some of them dont shoot bad.

But i wanted better , so 40 i tried first. good amount of bullet in the case neck, concentricity i hoped would be good. At the range they shoot consistantly in to 1/2 inch if i do my bit. dont need better than that !!!

That 58 at 3900 is the best varmint load i have tried yet with awsome results.

Im trying to shoot as many as i can to burn the barrel out, then i can justify spending all but £1200 on the custom job . :yahoo:

Varminter is in the varmint hunters association , he can tell you more as its new to me!

O well off to work for another 11 hour shift at 9, may try to finish early and go for a walk with the rifle, shit i dont even want to go to work now! thats what talking about guns ans hunting does to you aye??

later ...varmartin

Hi varmartin if i try the load and get the same results as you i will be happy. i have heard about russ he is one of the top bench rest shooters and does all is own work on is rifles that he uses for comps,so you should get a rifle that shoots very well. :thumbs-up:
Guest Farmboyuk

Hi Varmartin and Friends. Enjoying this thread and agree we should start a section for UK based Varmint shooters. :yes: I am thinking of getting a Remy vls (.243) soon and am pleased to see you like your rig.The new gun would be blueprinted and i would fit a Timney or Jewel trigger. I have also looked at the winchester coyote lite maybe could use it for some roe stalking too but think the Remy would be a better long range varminter. So will prob end up buying the Remy and end up persuading my better half i need a specific stalking rifle in 6.5x55 :) Thanks for the info on here so far and lets try and keep the Varmint shooting scene going on here. Glad I found this forum great stuff :thumbs-up:

Guest varmartin
Hi Varmartin and Friends. Enjoying this thread and agree we should start a section for UK based Varmint shooters. :yes: I am thinking of getting a Remy vls (.243) soon and am pleased to see you like your rig.The new gun would be blueprinted and i would fit a Timney or Jewel trigger. I have also looked at the winchester coyote lite maybe could use it for some roe stalking too but think the Remy would be a better long range varminter. So will prob end up buying the Remy and end up persuading my better half i need a specific stalking rifle in 6.5x55 :) Thanks for the info on here so far and lets try and keep the Varmint shooting scene going on here. Glad I found this forum great stuff :thumbs-up:

Hi farmboyuk, nice to have you on this forum. :welcomeani:

Not been here long myself but some very interesting topics on the go!!

The VLS is a very good out of the box rifle..JMHO -some will disagree but mine is fine.

It is better with the Jewell trigger i fitted.

it took me half an hour to fit and check, i did not make any adjustments as it was set to 1 1/2 pounds .

But it also took me 45 mins tops to relieve the stock a little in the area of the safety catch assemble, had to get it just right , but plenty of wood in that area any how!!note ..the stock did not fit at all!! :no:

i also removed the pressure point just behind the front sling swivel in the fore stock to fully float the barrel. I did this because the group was wondering a little. as i said it made my rifle shoot better but it might not work on all 700 VLS in .243win, just go and try it . if it shoots worse pack it back out with a bit of devcon or a couple of playing cards. The ace of spades give the tightest groups... :whistle:

If you are thinking of getting a Jewell check this link www.gearlodge.com

The guy is called Adam Woiblet.

I purchaced one from him, yep he sent it as a gift for $226.99 including $32.00 postage.=£123.00

Customs had me for another £32.00...TOTAL=£155.00

Which is still a saving of about £40.00.

I was real pissed with customs as they charged me vat and a £13.00 handling fee.

but hey its a shit hot trigger and well worth the effort .

Speek again soon .

ps..send some pics of your set up...varmartin

Edited by varmartin
Guest 6ppc

Farmboy,if i was you i would try the rifle to see how it shoots first before you think of blueprinting.You might as well see if you can get some use out of your new factory barrel,because when you do a full and proper blueprint the action threads need opening up therfore not allowing you to put your barrel back on. If you want to blueprint and put a custom barrel on straight away i would advise looking around for a secondhand action and taking it from there as there is no point wasting money on a new rifle if you are just going to chuck half of it away.

Hello farmboyuk , glad you like the forum!!!! I am quite new to this site too!!! You say you would like a 243 for long range varminting and are thinking of a 6.5-55 for deer management. If the cost of having the 2 rifles is going to be a issue i am sure you can go for either one for both applications!! If you are needing the 6.5-55 for the heaver deer you can load this with the 140 a-max for varminting. I am running a 6.5-284 with the 140 a-max and it expands great on crows / bunnies / foxes and a great bullet for deer. The thing i like with this bullet it bucks the wind ( BC 550 ) for long range varminting and expands really well on target!!!! I am using a custom RPA action and trigger , a border 1 in 8.5 twist 26 inch barrel , lazzeroni stock. I think you are getting alot of rifle for your money. My first RPA was in 243 ackley and was a awsome tool ( when i done my job properly!! ) i used 105 a-maxs in this rifle running at 3150FPS and yes these expanded well too!!!! As you have probably gatherd i like the a-max because thay seem to be very accurate and good expansion on all game.

If you have any more questions please ask.

HAPPY VARMINTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::yahoo:

Hi everone just wondering are you using rangefinders / windmeters and ballistic data?? if so what ones are you using??? Myself i am using the lecia LRF 800 rangefinder a speedtech skymate wind meter and am using the JBM ballistics calculator which i have found to be very accurate!!!!!!!! As for rangefinders i have been thinking about the SWARROVSKI 8-30 rangefinder , has anyone got one and if so what do you think of it??? happy varminting!!!!!!!!!!!! :good::good:

at the moment i am using a bushnell yardage pro 1000, hope to obtain a more accurate long range rifle next year ,just dont know what to go for. varminter you seem to know plenty do you think my remi700 vssf could be improved on and how would you go about it would like to keep it as 223 cal , then i will be able to do simmilar shooting as you & varmartin , any advice gratefuly received

Guest 6ppc

I use a leica 1200 rangefinder,ballistic info from either jbm,quickload or sierra(usually compare them then go and test it out in the field,all are very close to actual figures).I think my wind speed meter is a ketrel(would have to check,but it is in jeep at moment and can not be arsed to go and see!).

Foxshot,if you blueprint and bed a remmy 700 with a custom barrel you will have a very accurate rifle.If you intend to stick with 223 perhaps you could put a fast twist barrel on so you can shoot vld bullets to give you extra range and wind bucking ability.I have shot a friend of a friends 223 ackley fast twist and it was a very efficient little rifle at the 600yd mark.

Hi gentlemen thankyou for your replies!!!!!! Foxshot i agree with 6PPC about tricking up your rifle or you could go for the sako 75vls in 223 this now has the 1 in 8 twist barrel so you can use the heaver vld bullets which give you higher BC and downrange ballistics. This is what varmartin is using and he likes the 60 v-max for varminting!!!! If you do dicide to go the fast twist barrel the 75 a-max would be a serious contender for the longer ranges. My first centrefire was the remington pss in 223 with a 1 in 9 twist barrel , I could use the 50 v-max and the 60 v-max which shot well and i used the 70 berger and 69 matchking these went well too!!! Then my friend bought the sako 75vls in 6PPC , i had a go and was forever smitten so i bought one!! I have owned mine for over 4 years now and this caliber is so accurate you got to try one to beleave it. Whatever you decide to do i am sure you will have fun. HAPPY VARMINTING!!!!!!! :good::good:

Hi foxshot , regards to buying a 6PPC you will be looking either a custom gun like RPA interceptor which retails around £1700 or you can have a full custom built. Now unfortunately sako have discontinued making the 6PPC and you may be able to get a second hand one but do not let this put you off because i have put over 3800 rounds through mine and its still shooting sweet. This is one hell of a accurate caliber the only downside is the brass is expensive but you do get alot of reloads out of the brass so it balences out. The sako 6PPC USA can be used with sako 6PPC USA brass and you will not have any problems, this is the brass i am using at the moment. You can form lapua 220 russian into 6PPC but then you get into the realms of neck turning. I have ordered a new krieger barrel for my ppc and this will have a tight neck so i shall be getting into neck turning myself soon!!!! If you do decide to go the 6PPC route you will not be disapointed i promise you that. I have taken deer with my 6PPC too , its so accurate it gives you all the confidence in the rifle. HAPPY VARMINTING ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :good:picture0194zu.jpg

HERES A ROEBUCK TAKEN WITH 6PPC.

Edited by varminter

Foxshot, if I were you i would get a 6ppc sako extractor fitted to your rem 700 bolt, and fit a border 6ppc usa, barrel at 20 - 22" long.

My own rifle started life as a .223 rem VLS, I put 1000 ish rounds through it and it was still accurate untill I pulled the extractor out of the bolt face. At this point I got a sako extractor fitted and got the action blueprinted and a border 6ppc usa barrel fitted and the action pillar bedded into the vls stock.

The 6PPC is a superb round and as others have said, seeing is beleiving.

The beauty of the 6PPC USA is that you can either use Sako 6PPC loaded ammmo to get the cases, or fireform and neckturn the cases from .22 russian brass. I have used both and there is very little difference, and because you use a tight neck chamber you only need to neck size the brass with a bushed neck die, which is an absolute doddle. 30 cases would be enough to shoot a barrel out.

If you want to change calibres on the cheap, I would just get the sako extractor, a border barrel and pillar bed the action into your stock.£750ish

Edited by No messin