Long Range Varminting in Cornwall .UK.

Guest varmartin

Guest varmartin

I wanted to try my home made bench and new Jewell HVR trigger on my Remmy 700 .243win the other afternoon, so me and my mate Varminter went out and set up to do some shooting at 650yards.

resizewizard14bx.jpg

my remmy .243 note trigger and stony point dialable turrets.

resizewizard229ju.jpg

the view behind my bench ..note white dot in distance...thats 650yards

resizewizard42vs.jpg

thats 20x mag ..the target board is about 20inches by 26inchs.

But no rabbits apeared , i think the target may have spooked them.

resizewizard170lg.jpg

This is my mate Varminters set up..RPA mcmillan lazaronni 6.5-284 shooting 140 amax..Ummm. rabbits nope---just bits .

well this afternoon the longest range was 440yard rabbit i took it with a 58 vmax leaving the muzzle at 3900 fps. the new trigger is brilliant set to 1.5 pounds and breaks like a glass rod with vertualy no over travel.

And the bench is solid as a rock!! exactly what you need at long range when your heart is pumping!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest varmartin

yep- an old workmate-but does the job, just not as stable as it could be.

thats why i made my own.

that pic from behind and thru the scope took some doing i can tell you !! :rofl:

Guest Frank

Excellent photos. :good::good:

Great set ups you both have. I sometimes go down to my freinds and they have simmilar set ups.

I shoot to 300yds at most at present, they shoot to 1000yds :icon_eek::laugh:

Frank.

Hello everyone i was talkng to varmartin when we was out varminting on saturday and we was disscussing how it would be good to start a thread on here to disscuss all about varminting!!! Whether short range with air rifle of long range with a centrefire. be intereting to hear about your rifles, your loads , your setups and what you hunt!!! Let us know what you think people and most of all have fun and enjoy the countryside!!!! :D:D

Thought i would add picture of set ups on saturday.dscf08848ch.jpg

Thats a great idea idea varminter but first can you tell the dummys like myself exactly [bANNED TEXT] varminting is ?? :D your guns look pretty spectial but you say you can do it with air rifles ??

ps ... nice stool :D

Edited by Fledge

Hi , varminting is mainly an american term for pests like prairie dogs ,rabbits . crows , magpies , foxes , etc . Our friends in the states like prairie dog shooting at all ranges hence the term long range varminting!!!! As for using air rifles for varminting thats no problem as long as you keep the range sensible with respect of a clean dispatch!!! We use centrefire rifles with frangleble bullets which virtually explode on impact!!!!

Hope i have shed more light on the subject and enjoy your varminting whether long or short range :yahoo::yahoo:

Edited by varminter
Hello everyone i was talkng to varmartin when we was out varminting on saturday and we was disscussing how it would be good to start a thread on here to disscuss all about varminting!!! Whether short range with air rifle of long range with a centrefire. be intereting to hear about your rifles, your loads , your setups and what you hunt!!! Let us know what you think people and most of all have fun and enjoy the countryside!!!! :D:D

Thought i would add picture of set ups on saturday.dscf08848ch.jpg

sounds good to me :good:

Hi , varminting is mainly an american term for pests like prairie dogs ,rabbits . crows , magpies , foxes , etc . Our friends in the states like prairie dog shooting at all ranges hence the term long range varminting!!!! As for using air rifles for varminting thats no problem as long as you keep the range sensible with respect of a clean dispatch!!! We use centrefire rifles with frangleble bullets which virtually explode on impact!!!!

Hope i have shed more light on the subject and enjoy your varminting whether long or short range :yahoo::yahoo:

Thanks i did google it an have a bit of a read up :good:

Hi no messin , the board in the distance is above the gorse line where buniies come out and the field where the board is situated is a very steep bank so the shots come to a dead stop!!!! I shall say this ,that we know what we are doing and we would not attept a dangerous shot!!!! SAFETY IS ALWAYS PARRAMOUNT!!!!!!!!!!!! we use the board to range find off when the sun is at its brightest. I shall say again that no shot is taken unless it is safe!!!! kind regards...........................

If that is the target in the distance I can see, that doesnt look like a safe shot.

JMHO

I take it to be the tree cover and hedge line that is being refered to here ...........Photo's can be decieving but paying out that expense on them set ups would mean you would'nt blow it on taking one stupid shot I imagine .

To the 2 Varms :D

What are you zero'd in at ?

How much holdover are you allowing ?

What are you allowing for wind ?

Are you using compressed loads ?

AND What Glass and reticule have you both got enabling you to take theses shots ?.........And yes ,I am a nosey Tw@t ...........Just curious that's all :good: