30 year old and never hunted.

Help wanted. I want to get into hunting have wanted to get into hunting for years but don't know how. I've tried to find people willing to let me tag along but most often get a very cold shoulder. Which I do understand. I've got dogs which I'd love to work but struggle because I don't know what I'm doing. I live near Saddleworth moor so have got a large amount of land i could explore if I knew what I was doing. Non of my family are into hunting as we're from the city. So what would be the best way to learn the art of hunting.

all advise is welcome.

Cheers

Damo

What dogs do you have and how old are they?

If they are from working stock they will have it bred in them.

If you do not get any offers why not go on your own, yes sure you will make mistakes but learn from these, get a good book, visit game fairs or hunt shows, Terrier lurcher shows local to you, this will get you mixing with people with the same interests.

Alternatively go beating on a local shoot?

Good luck in your search, it will be worth it.

buy a cheap PCP and get down feld :lol: OR get some permission ;)

Whats a PCP?

Between me and the missus we've got a male 5 year old border terrier and an 18 month old Ridgeback. We got to as many game fairs as possible. The border is always entered into the terrier shows and the terrier racing and the ridge back does chase the bunny where ever possible. (they won't let her in the sim coursing coz she isn't a lurcher) We've also got our own lure, so we can run the dogs. They are the fastest bag catchers around. So we are trying its just the final bit needed now to get us hunting. I am hopefully doing the next season beating too.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Damo

buy a well bred pup of hear :thumbs: lurcher then you can sim course her/him and hunt with it :thumbs:

where abouts do you live?

The Ridge back is as good as some of the lurchers I've seen and the terrier is spot on to. He's showing the ridgeback what she needs to be doing and she's getting it now. I live near Saddleworth moor to the north/ east Manchester. So there is plenty of land to cover just struggle to do much. Also want to try my hand with the air rifle but finding hard to find someone who'll let me go on there land. Too many sheep. They worry dogs will be a pest.

Get yourself a Lurcher for starters, maybe a pup of breeding like collieXhound or whippetXhound..

And maybe a bushing Terrier =(terrier that will hunt rabbit out of the ditch)..

Buy a DVD called Purdeys Progress, that will give u good advice on training your Lurcher pup..

When your waiting for your Lurcher to mature, read a few good books and theres loads of dvds of hunting that you'll pick up a few tips..

But when u get started you'll make mistakes but you'll learn from them..

And theres loads of good lads on this site that will help u with any queries..

Hope this has been a little help..

ATB

Pa

dont rush into getting your self a terrier or lurcher get some ground (permmision)to hunt on first no good having them with no land to work them on ;)

Don't really want to get any more dogs anyway. Just want to work with what I've got. The terrier is great at flushing and even going to ground. And I was hoping the Ridge back would make a worthy lurcher. She sure does have the drive and stamina.

Thanks for all the help. Really looks like I need to work on finding a spot to work before I look at working the dogs etc.

Anyone know of land needing working around saddleworth and tameside area of Manchester.

got to ask ain't you.

Cheers Damo

Guest WILF

The VERY FIRST thing I think you should do is get on the Country Side Alliance website and download or send for a copy of there hunting handbook.

Familirise your self with all the relevant laws relating to hunting with dogs, air rifles, guns, snares etc.......dont just go off half cocked or you could find yourself in serious bother.

Keep it legal and keep it safe......then just progress slowly.

Welcome

Cheers Wilf. Will do that today.

Damo.

Damo i live just near you & have just got back into ferreting & flying BOP , havnt done this since i was a young lad & i am 44 now !! am in process of getting ferrets & bird ( august ) have got a couple of mates who hunt & fly when the season starts again if your still interested may be able to arrange something, i can only speak for myself, but have to confirm with mates, get yourself a few good books as well as you will realize technology has advanced so much :rolleyes: i live in Ashton u Lyne & i maybe have spoken too you on another forum regarding kits anyway i digress, happy hunting, regards john

Damo.

Damo i live just near you & have just got back into ferreting & flying BOP , havnt done this since i was a young lad & i am 44 now !! am in process of getting ferrets & bird ( august ) have got a couple of mates who hunt & fly when the season starts again if your still interested may be able to arrange something, i can only speak for myself, but have to confirm with mates, get yourself a few good books as well as you will realize technology has advanced so much :rolleyes: i live in Ashton u Lyne & i maybe have spoken too you on another forum regarding kits anyway i digress, happy hunting, regards john

That would be fantastic. I'm an Ashton lad. Family are from ashton. Use to live at Hurst Cross then Crowhill. But never found anyone who hunted. BOP is something that I've always loved to watch and me and the better half are going to a local place which have them around August to go fly them. One day I'd love to think I could get into that but need more time than I do at present. Have got some book and when funds are better will get some more. Any suggestions what to get. Would like to learn how I can hunt before I really use animals. Think it's best place to start.

Cheers

Damo

Edited by Damoruss

Damo.

That would be fantastic. I'm an Ashton lad. Family are from ashton. Use to live at Hurst Cross then Crowhill. But never found anyone who hunted. BOP is something that I've always loved to watch and me and the better half are going to a local place which have them around August to go fly them. One day I'd love to think I could get into that but need more time than I do at present. Have got some book and when funds are better will get some more. Any suggestions what to get. Would like to learn how I can hunt before I really use animals. Think it's best place to start.

Cheers

Damo

spooky i was born Hurst cross family from crowhill scafell ave & live @ Hurst cross now !! try looking through local library if funds are low, most recommended books will be in there collection somewhere, Ashton library has loads of ferreting, hawking,shooting etc section, i can vouch as i looked myself last year !! & if they havnt got it they will try & get it, regards john