Muntjac Territory

The times when I've seen 3 and that's rarely it has been a buck, doe and fawn, although not communal I wouldn't have said they were really anti-social, it seems to me that only bucks are really agressive to each other and the does are relatively tolerant of other does nearby. I think that's why they spread so quickly, the better bucks don't range as far as does and young bucks in my opinion as they seem to try and hold a good area, young bucks are forced away and the does seem to range wherever there is good habitat.

I would agree with that perfectly .

I know what you are saying,but,I shot two Bucks that were roaming together,so,I don't think there are too many hard and fast rules...............Martin

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Martin, the two bucks I shot last week were moving in the same direction in close proximity. One I'd guess was a two year old and the other a yearling. Shot first buck, and the other buck appeared within minutes coming from tthe same cover that the first had been in. So close together they must have tolerated each other for some reason and no sound or sign of fighting or threat behaviour. Both very relaxed.

I agree lads, I don't think there are many hard and fast rules with munties. We have them on our shoot and mostly you only seem them singly. If you are lucky you get a doe and kid, and just very occasionally we have seen three in the same field. The september before last we saw two fighting and a third following them round in a stubble below our big wood.

Mind you we think we have munties, but a friend over in Norfolk tells me they had a professional in on their shoot who shot 9 munties in a week with clients.

I saw my first one round here in 1983 and they have increased steadily.

Atb, ft

Seriously thinking of moving house so i can get among them, you don't no how lucky you are apart from cannock we've got sod all up here,unless that is you are willing to pay out of your arse and travel hours on end ,but hey the digging makes up for it :tongue2:

Happy hunting :victory:

Buster I'm not far from you mate towards Birmingham. What changed deer numbers and particularly Muntjac numbers where I am was the building of the M6 toll road. Now there are certain places within 1/2 a mile from my house where I will always see muntys in the mornings and evenings as well as a very healthy supply of Reds. Not seen any Fallow as yet though which is suprising.

Brummy

Guest busterdog
Seriously thinking of moving house so i can get among them, you don't no how lucky you are apart from cannock we've got sod all up here,unless that is you are willing to pay out of your arse and travel hours on end ,but hey the digging makes up for it :tongue2:

Buster I'm not far from you mate towards Birmingham. What changed deer numbers and particularly Muntjac numbers where I am was the building of the M6 toll road. Now there are certain places within 1/2 a mile from my house where I will always see muntys in the mornings and evenings as well as a very healthy supply of Reds. Not seen any Fallow as yet though which is suprising.

Brummy

Brummy send some up the road please mate !!!. I can't understand why they haven't bred to a decent number ? . The lurcher lads never see them ,all the fox lampers never mention them, and im about most days and never see so much as a slot or turd ???. Cant understand what the problem is they seem to be everywhere but here. :blink:

The times when I've seen 3 and that's rarely it has been a buck, doe and fawn, although not communal I wouldn't have said they were really anti-social, it seems to me that only bucks are really agressive to each other and the does are relatively tolerant of other does nearby. I think that's why they spread so quickly, the better bucks don't range as far as does and young bucks in my opinion as they seem to try and hold a good area, young bucks are forced away and the does seem to range wherever there is good habitat.

I know what you are saying,but,I shot two Bucks that were roaming together,so,I don't think there are too many hard and fast rules...............Martin

Hi Martin, I've shot 2 bucks together in a maize field as fast as I could reload so I wouldn't dispute that there are no hard and fast rules, in my case though, 1 was pretty young and the other was a really old buck with quite a good head, I assumed the older wasn't threatened by the young buck and the younger buck had no hope of establishing territory so was never moved on by the older animal, I saw them feeding together the evening before I went back with the rifle so it was no coincidence they were together, they had been like that for at least a day, was it an immature and old that you had together? On a different subject, I've just invested in a T3 lite in .243, really pleased with how it shoots and after a bit of playing about with it tomorrow afternoon, I hope to christen it tomorrow evening. :D

Brummy

Brummy send some up the road please mate !!!. I can't understand why they haven't bred to a decent number ? . The lurcher lads never see them ,all the fox lampers never mention them, and im about most days and never see so much as a slot or turd ???. Cant understand what the problem is they seem to be everywhere but here. :blink:

I've seen Munty slots in Sutton Park in a number of places as well !

They're coming up the railway lines in both directions.........

None here in South Wales either Brummy and not for the want of looking for them :D

Brummy

That's because fox lampers and 'gun' people shoot whatever they see probably ! :angry:

Apparently a nice Staggie was shot between Watford Gap and Hillwood last year Brummy ;)

It`s a Deer park i mean where can they go when there penned in :laugh:

none over here in ireland either :(

but lots of fallow and reds :clapper::clapper:

Apparently a nice Staggie was shot between Watford Gap and Hillwood last year Brummy ;)

Quite a few reds round here now Seamus. You local ?

Hi Martin, I've shot 2 bucks together in a maize field as fast as I could reload so I wouldn't dispute that there are no hard and fast rules, in my case though, 1 was pretty young and the other was a really old buck with quite a good head, I assumed the older wasn't threatened by the young buck and the younger buck had no hope of establishing territory so was never moved on by the older animal, I saw them feeding together the evening before I went back with the rifle so it was no coincidence they were together, they had been like that for at least a day, was it an immature and old that you had together? On a different subject, I've just invested in a T3 lite in .243, really pleased with how it shoots and after a bit of playing about with it tomorrow afternoon, I hope to christen it tomorrow evening. :D

They were both about the same age Murph..............Martin.

Interesting, were they both immature and so neither had established a territory yet or is my theory out of the window then? Here's a poor pic of the 2 I was talking about from my phone:

phonepics003.jpg

The one behind has no antler to speak of at all. Also, had a buck with the new rifle on sat so got the account opened with it, one tine snapped which was a pity as it would have been a decent head for round here:

phonepics076.jpg

Guest Sheamus.

Quite a few reds round here now Seamus. You local ?

I suppose you could say im local..

towa.jpg