Muntjac Territory

Does anyone know how big the territory is for muntjac or how far individuals will roam? I saw a doe near my house last summer in an area with little cover but although I have been in the area daily since then I have not seen another..............

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that Muntys are much greater travellers than we appreciate. How else would they colonise at such a speed. I also am of the opinion that they do not have "terretories" as such, not like a roe....JD

Thanks Jonno, yes I guess they must travel distances to spread so quickly. I'm just suprised I haven't seen more as I would of expected them to colonise more in his area although one was seen feeding in horse paddocks not 500 yards from my house a few months ago..............

My own observation is that they do not have territories as such but the right to mate with a particular doe is defended by a following buck .They are the deer most dependent on cover ,the denser the better and this is what is sometimes deemed as territory when in fact ,if cover stretches for miles then a munty will travel the length of it in search of a mate ,unchalleged by others.

Guest busterdog

Seriously thinking of moving house so i can get among them, you don't no how lucky you are apart from cannock we've got sod all up here,unless that is you are willing to pay out of your arse and travel hours on end ,but hey the digging makes up for it :tongue2:

Happy hunting :victory:

We've tons of 'em In my Village! :yes:

They're really Interesting, I've been really close to them before.

A few times I've seen them In Trio's, I thought they were Solitary Animals? Could these be a Doe and Her Two Fawns?

Butch

No, Muntjac only ever ever give birth to one.

There have been no recorded cases of Muntjac twins.

Muntjac are one of the oldest and least developed species of deer in existence, the ability to reproduce on an endless cycle negates the need to produce twins.

Does are pregnant within days of giving birth, and carry for 7 months, by then the fawn will be sexually mature and pregnant.

Now you can see how they have spread so fast so quickly, and if you don't have them yet you will soon.

Seriously thinking of moving house so i can get among them, you don't no how lucky you are apart from cannock we've got sod all up here,unless that is you are willing to pay out of your arse and travel hours on end ,but hey the digging makes up for it :tongue2:

I thought you had some Reds up there,Kay has put quite a few pics of them up in the past...........Martin.

The times when I've seen 3 and that's rarely it has been a buck, doe and fawn, although not communal I wouldn't have said they were really anti-social, it seems to me that only bucks are really agressive to each other and the does are relatively tolerant of other does nearby. I think that's why they spread so quickly, the better bucks don't range as far as does and young bucks in my opinion as they seem to try and hold a good area, young bucks are forced away and the does seem to range wherever there is good habitat.

Guest busterdog

I thought you had some Reds up there,Kay has put quite a few pics of them up in the past...........Martin.

No martin , we've got a few but nothing you cant count on one hand. I saw the first munjac as i say about twenty years ago whilst driving around some permission but then saw nothing else for about fifteen years, but then as it usually goes two more turn up at ones. In the last twelve months Ive been doing my house up and had the plasterers in and the lad giving him a hand shouted me and sayed theres a deer in your garden mate :o . My first thought was its a wind up but no there large as life is a doe muntjac smelling the back of my kennels :signthankspin:

Now short of putting up a map to tell all about the few fallows iv'e got on the door step "with no chance of permission" theres nothing else to offer, POOR OLD BUSTERDOG !! :duh:

Edited by busterdog
The times when I've seen 3 and that's rarely it has been a buck, doe and fawn, although not communal I wouldn't have said they were really anti-social, it seems to me that only bucks are really agressive to each other and the does are relatively tolerant of other does nearby. I think that's why they spread so quickly, the better bucks don't range as far as does and young bucks in my opinion as they seem to try and hold a good area, young bucks are forced away and the does seem to range wherever there is good habitat.

I would agree with that perfectly .