If anyone is interested in making some sticks a really good book to get is 'Stick Making A Complete Course' by Andrew Jones and Clive George it shows how to make all types of sticks and explains it really well.

Here's a few pics of some I have made

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

Ade

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone is interested in making some sticks a really good book to get is 'Stick Making A Complete Course' by Andrew Jones and Clive George it shows how to make all types of sticks and explains it really well.

Here's a few pics of some I have made

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

Ade

Theyre lovely Ade, i just bought that book...its a bible!

I usually just use yacht varnish, the first coat is 50:50 with white spirit then another 2 coats of varnish. Lightly rubbed down in between with wire wool, but that can make the finish too shiny for some people's taste.

Hope that helps

Ade

The traditional way is to use steam to heat the stick, but a good way if you don't want to go down that route is a heat gun (you know the type used to burn off paint). Don't put it too close to the stick otherwise you will scorch it!! Heat the stick until it's too hot to touch and then bend it carefully over your knee, you should find that the stick will bend quite easily but go carefully so you don't overdo it!!

Just a note you will never take a dog-leg bend out of a stick but a gradually bent stick can be straightened using this method.

Ade

The traditional way is to use steam to heat the stick, but a good way if you don't want to go down that route is a heat gun (you know the type used to burn off paint). Don't put it too close to the stick otherwise you will scorch it!! Heat the stick until it's too hot to touch and then bend it carefully over your knee, you should find that the stick will bend quite easily but go carefully so you don't overdo it!!

Just a note you will never take a dog-leg bend out of a stick but a gradually bent stick can be straightened using this method.

Ade

iv used the heat before to straighten my stick and worked a treat at the time, only over a few years the bend has come back in it again

(long continus bend), will the same method work again?

Ade

iv used the heat before to straighten my stick and worked a treat at the time, only over a few years the bend has come back in it again

Ive a little boiler which i steam the bend over, then quickly put it into a jig on the clamp for 10 seconds, perfect!!!

Stick forum, do it! i think it would prove reasonably popular :clapper:

Ade

To be honest I'm not sure, I don't see why it shouldn't work again, but I would be careful in case the previous heat treament has made the stick brittle. I had read that the bend could come back over time but this has not happened to me before.

Good luck

Ade

Some nice sticks there Ade. Here's some of my grandads sticks he makes, some have been carved from rams horn and some from buffalo.

Theres a pheasant crook, carved pheasant head, adder (one solid piece of rams horn), wild boar, a leg click and a buffalo crook, roe buck, woodcock and a snipe

post-27614-1240775094.jpg

post-27614-1240775105.jpg

post-27614-1240775112.jpg

post-27614-1240775117.jpg

post-27614-1240775124.jpg

post-27614-1240775132.jpg

post-27614-1240775139.jpg

post-27614-1240775144.jpg

Edited by woollyback
  • 3 weeks later...

i av just been given a stick to make my own walking stick just need an roe antler so if any one as a spear antler any where and thay dont want it i would offer it a new home :D it would be grateful