Ive jumped into the world of stick making two feet first and quickly realised that all the antlers ive picked up in the park are mostly too big for stick making!

has anyone got any scottish red antler or sika, preferably coloured up that they would be willing to part with for a sum? PM me if you think you can help, many thanks

Tom

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should mention this as i've just cut a bit of silver birch to try and make one myself......

Have to wait to september to get a small set or i'll buy them maybe they are pre cut when you buy....

i'll let the stick season for a month or two and then start the project i think...

i'll be looking out for futher posts to see how your doing.

all the best.

Snap.

Funny you should mention this as i've just cut a bit of silver birch to try and make one myself......

Have to wait to september to get a small set or i'll buy them maybe they are pre cut when you buy....

i'll let the stick season for a month or two and then start the project i think...

all the best.

Snap.

If you've just cut the the silver birch you'll have to wait nearer 18 mths before the sticks seasoned properly. The sap in silver birches is well and truly rising now, hence the longer time to season them.

Cheers

OBE

all the best.

Snap.

If you've just cut the the silver birch you'll have to wait nearer 18 mths before the sticks seasoned properly. The sap in silver birches is well and truly rising now, hence the longer time to season them.

Cheers

OBE

I was just thinking that, its too late to cut all sticks now isnt it, including hazel?

Cut your Stick longer than you need to and dip the ends In Wax, that will stop the splitting hopefully but If It doesn't then you can cut the split ends off and still have enough for your stick ;)

Put It In the Shed now and forget about It 'till next Year sometime..

Butch

As said guys its just to see how i get on making it....

cheers for the input all,

i'll let it sit as long as my patience will last....hehe

i can't wait to try and make one,

thank's all,

looking forward to seeing some work from you guy's

snap.

A chap i know makes loads .He has a years supply in hand all the time ,thats to say he cuts when he sees it but lets it cure for a year then debarks it .A little trick i know he does is to' train'stuff to grow a particular way ie wrap a hazel swtch around a broom handle to create a curler but this is serious ,years ahead stuff .To create a bowl end then split a growing switch and pack it with clay and bind .The growing tip swells im told .