• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stopping and holding boars is not a matter of size or weight in dogs, it's a function of heart and technique. We use dogs down to 25kgs and they'll swing off whatever boar sticks its head up. There ar

there are two sets of pics, aren't there; shane's action pics are from NZ (southern cross is red not white) and not sure where Bull's haul of game were taken.....(not that we need exact location)?  

LOL get a grip theres a few lads that have been taking feral pigs with their dogs for a little while now,and there not getting smashed to pieces either.

Cheers for that Jon.

To be honest I don't like the idea of a dog "fighting" a boar one little bit. That's how you end up with a dead dog double quick time. No matter how tough the dog, it's going to meet a boar that'll kill it...just ask Dogoman over on his board. He had one of his best dogos (130lb if I remember rightly) killed by a boar. I like a dog with the sense to lug up the side and stay out of the way, that way you can hunt on without having to tend a knocked up dog. Obviously situations are not always this perfect, but I've found that dogs that stand and fight tend not to last long. That's always been the argument against heavily pit influence dogs over in Australia. I know a bloke that has to keep a drip hanging from his rear view mirror because his dog insists on fighting.

I'm interested to know how the Alano has a "significantly quicker healing time" than conventional dog breeds? That's something I've never heard before. Sounds interesting though. Can you elaborate?

I've never seen a dog kill an adult pig (although I have heard stories), so I did assume the pigs were stuck by the hunter.

What sort of weights/heights do these Alanos get to?

You mention the Dogo is a better tracker. I take it that means it's got a better nose? Were the Dogos brought in for this specific purpose do you know? Any ideas of the hounds used? How common are the Alanos in the hunting field? If the Dogos were brought in, can you ever see the day that they take over the role of the Alano? Or do the two have separate enough characteristics to be able to survive independent of one another?

Again, apologies for all the questions.

I remember seeing an Alano for sale in the back of the Gamedog magazine years ago. I think that one came from Germany.

The thought of a dog killing a pig is an unplesant one - cant be a nice way to go to be savaged. I hear what you are saying about dogs fighting style - the alano is very similar in aproach to the dogo. Dogoman is a "very" experienced hunter who I have alot of respect for & I know full well the types of injuries his dogs have incurred - not pleasant. But Dogo's and alano's hunt this way for a reason. Once the alano has got in there they subdue the animal and hold it still for the hunters safety. Its a different approach to auzzie hog dogs from what I understand.

Alano healing time - its just an old breed and its survival of the fittest. they are serious working dogs & only the rugged ones are bred. Compare this to the breeding of breeds that have been bred for conformation where the primary goals are appearance. I will let you know how much truth there is in it down the line when I have greater hands on experience.

Alanos - circa 75-100lb they tend to be 25-26" tall.

Yes, the dogo supposedly has a better nose. Dogo's just hunt in a small pack, but with alano's frequently they hunt with ibizan hounds.

The alano is much more suited to the role in Spain as it can control cattle - a dogo would be totally unsuitable for this role. So yes they can easily survive independently - they already do.

The alano is very popular in parts of Spain for hunting - mostly by the working cattle men.

No probs about the questions - happy to answer them.

Jon

Holding: Yes they "fight" the boar and yes they do get banged up frequently,

That doesn't quite tie up with

Where as many breeds savage, the alano does the bare minimum (usually a single holding bite) + when the boar relaxes, they relax

Sorry mate, I'm not trying to get at you here and I hope you aren't taking this personally.

Sorry, Im trying to answer each point and im not going into enough depth -don't worry I don't mind the questions, they are probably the same ones I would ask.

the alano usually hits the boar head on and goes for a grip, usually around the ears neck or even shoulder to avoid the tusks. Naturally the boar goes berserk and the alano will shake and bite harder until the boar is pacified - when the boar stops fighting the alano's relax and just hold. If the head isn't controlled the dogs will re position to fully control it. When the dogs have it controlled the hunter will step in with a knife.

Again - this is second hand knowledge, your best bet would be to speak to genuine hunters of boar with alano - I have contacts if my brief summery still isn't clear - just PM me (im sure they can explain much more succinct and eloquently).

kindest regards,

jon

I don't think anyone is suggesting its a baiting sport but just overkill having three dogs & a pup on a small boar which certainly doesn't make it a 'great' pic IMO

I appreciate your view point.

kindest regards,

jon

Here are a couple more pics (same dogs, different boars) :

Please don't look if you are easily offended.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f57/boer...20061334461.jpg

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f57/boer...62006133371.jpg

It looks like Curro (Tan) has a good grip in both pics. Its refreshing to see a show dog that is genuinely worked - I hope that those of you who choose to look find them interesting and not gratuitous.

kindest regards,

Jonathan

A write up about Curro's show wins taken from Paco's website:

"All my dogs are hunting or they have been used in the field grabing monchinas cows. In this activity it highlights Curro. He is son of Conan de la Carlanca y Tizona de las Tarantos.

He has gotten the 1º prize as copy of their race 10 times with 69different judges. He won was at 22-5-05 in the International Exhibition of Madrid.

29-05-05 he won the first prize in Exhibition of Archidona (Malaga). He is de" best copy of his race" again and the same way nine times more.

He is the first alano dog getting the first price like champion all over his race . Now he is SPAIN´S CHAMPION .

You can see more pictures in the photo album. And in the magazine TROFEO-Perros de caza 2006-07."

-------

If only all british working breeds were all bred like this! From collies to jack russles we find that the show dog rarely resemles its working releatives.

Jon

Not something Ive done and perhaps wouldnt do but I find the pics intresting.In another thread there is a pic of some young dogs engaging a penned pig no one seemed to mind that ,every one seems to agree on how potentialy dangerous this quarry is so surely a number of strong dogs is safer to use safer on the dog and the hunter.I know a lot of hunts end up with the dogs just baying at the pig and keeping it in one position.

But I supose that boils down to the old argument of wether you prefer a bayer or a gamer type dog.

A shot wouldnt be safe amongst all those dogs so atleast the hunter has to go hands on.

Just a few thoughts.

Just to clarify, you arent looking at a cruel baiting sport - the dogs are bred purely to hold + the hunter swiftly dispatches the boar. It isnt done just for sport either - the dogs catch the boar for the cattle workers whils they are with the cattle for several months at a time - its a valuable food source and the hunters are very respectful. Where as many breeds savage, the alano does the bare minimum (usually a single holding bite) + when the boar relaxes, they relax - exactly the same way they controll the cattle. They often use 2 or 3 dogs to reduce risk of injury to the dogs, as this is a way of life and not just a sport they are very practical and focus on the safest methods.

kindest regards,

Jonathan

Glad to see your safe guarding your heritage and traditions most of ours have been squandered.

Impressive quarry impressive dogs.JMO.

Guest rabbiter

Just had a look at Boarhunter77 picture ,don't see much wrong with it ..saw that type of thing hundreds of times my self...when I hunted boar ...don't see a over kill ..just a well held pig....a picture taken doesn't mean that the hunter has stopped to take it perhapes a mate took the picture ...this picture is just what happens when one gos pighunting ...and hunters shouldn't hide away ...no wonder the Antis have got most of the hunters on the run ...forced semie under ground ...is time hunters held their ground ....I see alot of hunting sites that talk about getting a dog that doesn't look too lurcher like ...so that the antis won't take too much notice....when you're out and about ....no wonder you guys are on the run...

Hi Stabs, I don't see anything unusual in those photo's as far as pig hunting is concerned. In N.Z. I've seen anything from 1 to 6 dogs being used. A mate of mine is a proffesional hunter and uses 4 dogs, a mixture of bailers and holders. As long as the pig is dispached as soon as possible and the dogs haven't taken to much stick, I don't see a problem.

Cheers.

P.S. When are you off down under ? I may be in Melbourne at the end of the year.

Hi Stabs, I don't see anything unusual in those photo's as far as pig hunting is concerned. In N.Z. I've seen anything from 1 to 6 dogs being used. A mate of mine is a proffesional hunter and uses 4 dogs, a mixture of bailers and holders. As long as the pig is dispached as soon as possible and the dogs haven't taken to much stick, I don't see a problem.

Cheers.

P.S. When are you off down under ? I may be in Melbourne at the end of the year.

I think you are totally missing the point, the view Stabs & i were trying to get across is the pic/dogs are not impressive in that situation especially if you have seen plenty of smaller or less dogs in Australia & NZ cope just as well holding to enable someone to get in flip & stick the boar :good:

Cheers.

I think you are totally missing the point, the view Stabs & i were trying to get across is the pic/dogs are not impressive in that situation especially if you have seen plenty of smaller or less dogs in Australia & NZ cope just as well holding to enable someone to get in flip & stick the boar :good:

I didn't mention IMPRESSIVE, I said it was not UNUSUAL; having 3 or more dogs holding a pig is a bit like the Americans using 3 dogs to course a jack rabbit, not IMPRESSIVE, but not UNUSUAL, I neither condone nor condem the practice, (with pigs), simply stating facts.

Cheers.

Guest rabbiter

I had a mate who was hunting pigs for a living in Aussie ,who ran large breeds of dogs ...greyhound x bull mastiff ,great dane x bullmastiff type dogs .I wondered why he had those type of breeds untill we went out one moon lit nite and came across a large mob of pigs out in a open paddock.My mate was driving a old holden station wagon with out any doors,and the 4 dogs were chained up in the back seat .Each dog was turned out on a pig of its own,and after we had released all 4 dogs we went back to where we turned out the first .He told me that each dog had to hold their pig alone untill we returned no matter how long this took and killed it and we then rechained the dog and back up to the second dog and so on ...he also told me that a much smaller dog just wouldn't do the job that he required.By the end of the nite we has 25 good pigs to show just how good these larger dogs were at holding.We went out during the day also and but only ran two together at any one time ,the other two were saved and turned out fresh later in the morning before it got too hot .

Edited by rabbiter
I had a mate who was hunting pigs for a living in Aussie ,who ran large breeds of dogs ...greyhound x bull mastiff ,great dane x bullmastiff type dogs .I wondered why he had those type of breeds untill we went out one moon lit nite and came across a large mob of pigs out in a open paddock.My mate was driving a old holden station wagon with out any doors,and the 4 dogs were chained up in the back seat .Each dog was turned out on a pig of its own,and after we had released all 4 dogs we went back to where we turned out the first .He told me that each dog had to hold their pig alone untill we turned no matter how long this took and killed it andwe then rechained the dog and back up to the second dog and so on ...he also told me that a much smaller dog just wouldn't do the job that he required.By the end of the nite we has 25 good pigs to show just how good these larger dogs were at holding.We went out during the day also and but only ran two together at any one time ,the other two were saved and turned out fresh later in the morning before it got too hot .

Bloody impressive stuff - tough dogs. The dane / bulmastiff cross seems to be a popular one in Aus - I wouldnt have thought they would have the necessary drive but they clearly do. You must have some quality stock out there to start with. 25 pigs is a serious amount of catching - thats an amazing nights work! I wonder how the feral pigs compare to european wild boar.

kindest regards,

Jon