If you wanted to see wild boar you would be waisting your time going to Austalia they only have feral pigs to see truely wild boar being hunted you would be able to stay a lot closer to home and just pop over to mainland Europe.

To be quite honest i don't think they or anyone with an interest in taking them gives two fucks whether they are true wild boar or ferals.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stopping and holding boars is not a matter of size or weight in dogs, it's a function of heart and technique. We use dogs down to 25kgs and they'll swing off whatever boar sticks its head up. There ar

there are two sets of pics, aren't there; shane's action pics are from NZ (southern cross is red not white) and not sure where Bull's haul of game were taken.....(not that we need exact location)?  

LOL get a grip theres a few lads that have been taking feral pigs with their dogs for a little while now,and there not getting smashed to pieces either.

If you wanted to see wild boar you would be waisting your time going to Austalia they only have feral pigs to see truely wild boar being hunted you would be able to stay a lot closer to home and just pop over to mainland Europe.

To be quite honest i don't think they or anyone with an interest in taking them gives two fucks whether they are true wild boar or ferals.

LOL there is a lot of difference.

LOL there is a lot of difference.

Like i say i doubt many are really bothered that there is.

This is what I was on about, training your dogs to stop the boar either by baying or AMM to make the bugger sit down!!! (asshole munching method!) :blink:

pig02.jpg

pig01.jpg

Thanks to Eric for helping get the pics! :good:

And I've now seen why big dogs are rarely used in Europe on Wild Boar (don't forget boar don't just rip with tusks they can bite back as well!) and dogs required for that type of hunting are going to cause massive carcase damage!

In New Zealand they come in all sizes and colours, the ginger one with the straight tail is a "Captain Cooker" and grow huge. Allthough they are feral pigs, after a few generations they revert to type and are every bit as dangerous as the European Wild Boar. These two were taken, (allong with many more !!), around the Tokaroa area in the nineties.

Cheers.

:11: think the term sows is more like it countryman, if thats [bANNED TEXT] is passing as wild boar in cornwell ya don't need any dogs at all mate a bucket of maize and a 'here pig pig pig' should put them in the pot. the true capatain cooker is black with a huge front shoulder and small arse end, they bred ture to type and have done for many years. kane mate ya need to stop branding the aussie and kiwi pig as just a hog gone wild, they have bred themselves back to a wild boar that has adapted to it's new country hence the differents in weight. the fight would still be the same regardless of [bANNED TEXT] name ya call them. those jagd terriers look handy dogs but not my cup of tea those sort of pics.

• Like 1

After watching footage of feral pigs being hunted in NZ Aus and even in the UK and then watching footage of truewild boar being hunted in Europe it is quite obvious even to me that there is a world of difference.

well i guess all that video footage must overide anything else on the matter :good: if ya let two white female domestic rabbits go into the wild population how many hundreds of years would ya have to wait before ya can call any of the offspring rabbits?????

This is what I was on about, training your dogs to stop the boar either by baying or AMM to make the bugger sit down!!! (asshole munching method!) :blink:

pig02.jpg

pig01.jpg

Thanks to Eric for helping get the pics! :good:

And I've now seen why big dogs are rarely used in Europe on Wild Boar (don't forget boar don't just rip with tusks they can bite back as well!) and dogs required for that type of hunting are going to cause massive carcase damage!

Good looking jagds, Bullmastiff.

well i guess all that video footage must overide anything else on the matter :good: if ya let two white female domestic rabbits go into the wild population how many hundreds of years would ya have to wait before ya can call any of the offspring rabbits?????

I hear in NZ and Aus you have problems with packs of feral dogs or do you call them wolves :11:

The boss reckons my sheepdogs are wolves, the way they can pull down a sheep. :laugh:

Useless b*****ds couldn't catch a piglet though lol. :no:

23-2-06hunt049.jpg

A 500 pound pig probably wouldn't last long in our hills, pigs adapt to their surroundings very quickly.

Just as a big fat hunter wouldn't last long either :laugh:

Waioekatrip105.jpg

A 90 pound feral boar, can kill a team of dogs as fast as any purebred russian boar can.

gotta love them creekbed pic's dude. good bit of ivory showing on that pig too :D nah we get the odd lost dog or pigdog in nz, and have had wild packs living in some areas in the past but they soon die out or are shot. aussie does have it's native dingo which is a dingo not a wolf, wolves live in the northen hemesphere. and if wolf type x breeds where liberated in aussie and nz after a few hundy years i'm sure they would have breed back to a surviving type of wolf suited to the local conditions. the pigs released to aussie and nz where never in a pure bred state and carried the wild boar blood, as all domestic pigs do. surival of the fittest has seen the pig in nz/oz breed to it's current state. i'd go out on a limb and say that using smaller bailing type dogs like the jagd would out last any bullx in containing boars over 250lbs. failing the opition of using dogo's and a knife.

Will the Jag's bail though :unsure: , from what i've heard, they will dismantle the muscle tissue from the whole pig first chance they get. A bit like another kind of bailing dog we have here. :laugh::D :whistle:

It seems to be one of the favoured breeds used all across europe along with Welsh terriers, patterdales and daschhound (spelling?) in europe the boars are run towards a line of guns so they need dogs with good noses but not so quick that it catches the boar before it crosses the shooting ride!