Been for two trips to the Forest of Dean with mates and haven't even seen a anything whilst there! :cry: obviously in the wrong part, maybe one day!

Beautiful countryside though.

IMAG0018-2.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

I'm sure some locals will recognise the view... Would I need to go East or South East from there to photogragh some wildlife!!!

My brother and mum saw some at cannop ponds.

It's pretty hit and miss unfortunately.

May i ask if the top picture waas near a river?If so I think i know who the owner is-a friend of my grandmothers.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Stopping and holding boars is not a matter of size or weight in dogs, it's a function of heart and technique. We use dogs down to 25kgs and they'll swing off whatever boar sticks its head up. There ar

there are two sets of pics, aren't there; shane's action pics are from NZ (southern cross is red not white) and not sure where Bull's haul of game were taken.....(not that we need exact location)?  

LOL get a grip theres a few lads that have been taking feral pigs with their dogs for a little while now,and there not getting smashed to pieces either.

Yes there is. Second photo is taken at the bottom of the hill past the house.

That's where we swam to Wales! (saves paying for the bridge!!!)

IMAG0030.jpg

Hey mate,I can confirm you were near a definite boar sighting.

You know the picture saying "im sure some of the locals will recognise the view" or something like that.

Across the river there is a small bit of sand near a bank.

Well if you go up there to the edge of the woods my cousin has seen and grunted by there and they occasionally grunt back to him.

I have been there myself but there were not any there at the time.

And I don't think you swam to wales,Forest of dean to herefordshire you might of swam but im pretty sure its not wales

• 2 months later...

Well It's offical!!! DEFRA have finally admitted that wild Boar are breeding in England! Shooting Times has done an artical on it, Kent and East sussex have the the largest sounders (social groups), up to 100 are thought to be roaming around the area of Berkley! with large groups in Dorset, Herefordshire, Gloucestershire, Devon and now even Somerset!!! One guys been studying them since 1983! this is his site -www.britishwildboar.org.uk Anyone know the Law about hunting them? What sort of calibre should we be looking at? would a .243 stop a pig???

I've hunted Boar in the USA (Tennessee), concensus is that a '30 calibre is the nominal minimum, but really when forrest hunting like we were, any reasonably powerful centrefire will do, you are usually

taking the shot from less than 100 yards, more like 50 or 60 in my experience.

I used a 7mm Remington Magnum Ruger, and the Boars I shot didn't go far post shot, my mate had a 30-30 Marlin lever action and that also nailed the porkers without trouble.

The 'locals' however don't mess about with 'fancy rifles like us visitors, they jusy get their dogs to 'bay' i.e. corner a pig then they shoot it at pointblank range with either a 12g slug, or a big

calibre handgun i.e. .44 Mag. as they are gathering meat not messing about like us??

Anyway as a useful tip passed to me by our guide, you must shoot a pig high into the shoulder blade, as the heart/vitals are higher in the body than those of a deer.

AF

Yes there is. Second photo is taken at the bottom of the hill past the house.

That's where we swam to Wales! (saves paying for the bridge!!!)

IMAG0030.jpg

Hey mate,I can confirm you were near a definite boar sighting.

You know the picture saying "im sure some of the locals will recognise the view" or something like that.

Across the river there is a small bit of sand near a bank.

Well if you go up there to the edge of the woods my cousin has seen and grunted by there and they occasionally grunt back to him.

I have been there myself but there were not any there at the time.

And I don't think you swam to wales,Forest of dean to herefordshire you might of swam but im pretty sure its not wales

so you cant swim from fod to gwent or monmouthsire then :whistling:

Well It's offical!!! DEFRA have finally admitted that wild Boar are breeding in England! Shooting Times has done an artical on it, Kent and East sussex have the the largest sounders (social groups), up to 100 are thought to be roaming around the area of Berkley! with large groups in Dorset, Herefordshire, Gloucestershire, Devon and now even Somerset!!! One guys been studying them since 1983! this is his site -www.britishwildboar.org.uk Anyone know the Law about hunting them? What sort of calibre should we be looking at? would a .243 stop a pig???

I've hunted Boar in the USA (Tennessee), concensus is that a '30 calibre is the nominal minimum, but really when forrest hunting like we were, any reasonably powerful centrefire will do, you are usually

taking the shot from less than 100 yards, more like 50 or 60 in my experience.

I used a 7mm Remington Magnum Ruger, and the Boars I shot didn't go far post shot, my mate had a 30-30 Marlin lever action and that also nailed the porkers without trouble.

The 'locals' however don't mess about with 'fancy rifles like us visitors, they jusy get their dogs to 'bay' i.e. corner a pig then they shoot it at pointblank range with either a 12g slug, or a big

calibre handgun i.e. .44 Mag. as they are gathering meat not messing about like us??

Anyway as a useful tip passed to me by our guide, you must shoot a pig high into the shoulder blade, as the heart/vitals are higher in the body than those of a deer.

AF

sorry to contradict bud but the heart sits lower in a pig than deer(appearing so due to the feathers on the ridge of the back)

some will shoot high shoulder to hit the spine which is not a good idea(if a spinal protrusion is hit he will drop like a stone,5 min later he will be back up and pissed off).a clean shot level with the tail root just behind the shoulder is the best bet imho.

waidmann

p.s. collars and vests are very good but will not stop a crushing sow or smashing tree trunk. often the worst injuries are blunt trauma and not slash/bite in woods.

Edited by waidmann

Been for two trips to the Forest of Dean with mates and haven't even seen a anything whilst there! :cry: obviously in the wrong part, maybe one day!

IMAG0018-2.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

I'm sure some locals will recognise the view... Would I need to go East or South East from there to photogragh some wildlife!!!

miles out .lol but you must of seen the peregrins ,and you swam from england back to england ,and dont let george see you on his patch ,

the barn was used in a antony hopkings film by the way ,

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 2GOOD

Unfortunately we didn't. That's the main reason we walked down there, maybe one day we'll get to see the Peregrines?

If I ever won the Lottery I'd be buying that house in a heartbeat!!! Any idea what film it was in?

the film was called

shadowlands,,, me and a mate was down there fishing when they was filming ,if you watch the film you will see the barn and the fields you were standing in . the peregrins nest is in the big rocks in the other pic .

Edited by 2GOOD
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IM UP FOR A GO IF ANY ONE ELSE IS DONE A BIT IN N.Z,

BUT UR DOGS CAN AND MOST OFTEN DO GET HURT AND COLLARS ARE A MUST AND IF U WANNA BE SAFE A VEST IS GOOD TOO??

AS REGARDS BOWS N CROSS BOWS YOU NEED ENOUGH FPS BROAD HEADS AND EVEN THEN THEY CAN STILL RUN OR CHARGE A GOOD 100M @ TIMES?

A RIFFLE IS BEST WELL OVER PLINKING 22S, AND IF YOU HAVE A GUN Y USE THE DOGS IN THAT WAY??

IN N.Z I USED 2-4 DOGS AND A BOW N PIG STICK,1 DOG TO FIND EM 1 TO GUARD ME AND THEN THE EXTRA 2 IF I WANT TO BAIL EM N HOLD EM ?

BUT UR DOGS CAN AND MOST OFTEN DO GET HURT AND COLLARS ARE A MUST AND IF U WANNA BE SAFE A VEST IS GOOD TOO??

AS REGARDS BOWS N CROSS BOWS YOU NEED ENOUGH FPS BROAD HEADS AND EVEN THEN THEY CAN STILL RUN OR CHARGE A GOOD 100M @ TIMES?

A RIFFLE IS BEST WELL OVER PLINKING 22S, AND IF YOU HAVE A GUN Y USE THE DOGS IN THAT WAY??

IN N.Z I USED 2-4 DOGS AND A BOW N PIG STICK,1 DOG TO FIND EM 1 TO GUARD ME AND THEN THE EXTRA 2 IF I WANT TO BAIL EM N HOLD EM ?

What dogs did you use?

IMAG0018-2.jpg

IMAG0034.jpg

ive shot boar on that farm...so your near but that was 18 months ago on top of the wood behind the farm....

What dogs did you use?

WE USE PIT CROSSES IN N.Z MOSTLY AND IN THE UK WE USE A PRESSA CROSS ROTTWIELER, BULLGREYHOUJND, AMERICAN BULLDOGS, BULL CROSSES, A BORDER COLLIE CROSS PATTERSDALE TERRIER FOR BAILING, WE ALSO ARE CURRENTLY TRAINING A FEW ALANO ESPANOL FOR THE FUTURE

IN MY EXPERIENCE YOU NEED A SOLID DOG TO HOLD EM BULL GREYHOUNDS HAVE THE SPEED BUT YOU NEED THE MUSCLE TO TAKE THE ABBUSE THE BOAR DISH OUT, TRAINING THEM TO HOLD THE EARS AND STAY OUT THE TUSKS AND ITS BETTER OFF IF YOU USE FERAL PIGS TO START TRAINING THE DOGS BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT AS DIFFICULT TO TAKE DOWN,A CROSS BOW HELPS???? ANYONE UP FOR GOING OUT IM UP IN ESSEX GIVE ME CALL 07743298775