Hi, I'm not particularly young at 26 but I am new to the hunting scene. My Dad is having trouble at the moment with a fox thats taken a couple of lambs and mauled a few protective sheep (could be a badger but for legal reasons lets assume its a fox).

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice hunting a fox. We've got no gun license on the farm but a friend of mine has offered to come down with his shotgun that he mainly uses for clay pigeons. So I've got a method of dispatching it, how do we find it? What time of day is best to look? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I'm not particularly young at 26 but I am new to the hunting scene. My Dad is having trouble at the moment with a fox thats taken a couple of lambs and mauled a few protective sheep (could be a badger but for legal reasons lets assume its a fox).

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice hunting a fox. We've got no gun license on the farm but a friend of mine has offered to come down with his shotgun that he mainly uses for clay pigeons. So I've got a method of dispatching it, how do we find it? What time of day is best to look? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

I'm only a young hunter but i would definitely not be shooting at it with a shotgun as it might not kill it and you would be breaking the law if you let it get away badly injured.

I would recomend purchasing a fox trap(box trap) and capture the fox in it. Bait it up with a bit of meat or something.

Once you have caught it in the trap, put a thick leather glove on and grab it then break it's neck.

It may take you a good few days or weeks to catch it.

Regards,

Alex

Cheers

I'm only a young hunter but i would definitely not be shooting at it with a shotgun as it might not kill it and you would be breaking the law if you let it get away badly injured.

I would recomend purchasing a fox trap(box trap) and capture the fox in it. Bait it up with a bit of meat or something.

Once you have caught it in the trap, put a thick leather glove on and grab it then break it's neck.

It may take you a good few days or weeks to catch it.

Regards,

Alex

You may be a young hunter mate but with ideas like that you wont reach an old one .Shotgun perfectly ok in the right hands for fox shooting as long as the range dont exceed much beyond 35 yads .Set the fox trap then ring your mate to despatch it with the shotgun at range so as not to destroy the cage .Better still get someone in with a rifle to do the job properly ,then look for the cubs as this is almost certainly the reason for the killing .good luck .

thick leather gloves and break its neck,lol,best laugh iv had for years,killed many like that have you mate ;)

lol leather gloves me arse them needle teeth would open ye up like a cockel but if you try it take a few pics of your hands after it :D

Edited by scent
thick leather gloves and break its neck,lol,best laugh iv had for years,killed many like that have you mate ;)

lol leather gloves me arse them needle teeth would open ye up like a cockel but hry if you try it take a few pics of your hands after it :D

im still laughing,sheer stupidty.

lol leather gloves me arse them needle teeth would open ye up like a cockel but hry if you try it take a few pics of your hands after it :D

im still laughing,sheer stupidty.

I'm no fox huntrer and i didn't realise they will bite through the glove.

I wouldn't shoot a fox with a shot gun at all as i don't agree with it, they should only be shot with rifles in my oppinion.

at the right range and right shell its vert effective ,with the right person behind the gun ;)

I wouldn't shoot a fox with a shot gun at all as i don't agree with it, they should only be shot with rifles in my oppinion.

at the right range and right shell its vert effective ,with the right person behind the gun ;)

Yeah, that's if you regularly hunt foxes and are a good shot. I would never kill a fox with a shotgun but if you do i would recomend using magnum cartridges or something similar. Try to box trap it or something.

The only sensible thing is to get some experienced terrier men in,if they cant find the den now they wont find it after they box trap the vixen will they? forget the gun nuts and bull x lampers,theres only 1 humane answer to protect your lambs.

Cheers

get yourself cuple of pattys [bANNED TEXT] ;)

We've had a box trap down for couple of days but the only thing we've caught so far is a lamb :D

As for grabbing hold of a cornered fox.... I've got a mate who was savaged by a rat after accidentally cornering it while cleaning out a shed (I haven't made that up either) so I won't be trying to grab hold of a fox.

We'll try the trap for a week I reckon if you lads think that's the best way for now, we're fetching the sheep in at night at the moment but can't keep doing that.

The only trouble with getting someone in to look for the den is that its most likely on somebody elses land so I'll have to have a word with a few of the neighbours first. You can easily get someone's back up if you go rooting around on somebody else's land with guns and dogs.

I'll see how we go on anyway and thanks for the info, I'll keep you posted on any progress ;)