• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy said he's sorted the problem, got a terrierman in, who confirmed it had gone, and yet 2 pages later and people are still ripping into a kid about his leather gloves comment. Give the lad a break and drop it.

How about rather than tearing him apart one of you 'expert' Fox hunters local to him offer to take him out and show him the ropes? Isn't this what this part of the forum was for? advice/guidance for young hunters???

Think it's time this one was closed?

Strongstuff - I thought you prefered Marigolds??? I've got some old staple studded fencing gloves you could borrow if needs must?

Edited by bullmastiff
The guy said he's sorted the problem, got a terrierman in, who confirmed it had gone, and yet 2 pages later and people are still ripping into a kid about his leather gloves comment. Give the lad a break and drop it.

How about rather than tearing him apart one of you 'expert' Fox hunters local to him offer to take him out and show him the ropes? Isn't this what this part of the forum was for? advice/guidance for young hunters???

Think it's time this one was closed?

Strongstuff - I thought you prefered Marigolds??? I've got some old staple studded fencing gloves you could borrow if needs must?

i totally agree with bullmastif give the lad a break surely its better to give advice than take the p**s

Edited by colin
Hi, I'm not particularly young at 26 but I am new to the hunting scene. My Dad is having trouble at the moment with a fox thats taken a couple of lambs and mauled a few protective sheep (could be a badger but for legal reasons lets assume its a fox).

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice hunting a fox. We've got no gun license on the farm but a friend of mine has offered to come down with his shotgun that he mainly uses for clay pigeons. So I've got a method of dispatching it, how do we find it? What time of day is best to look? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

I'm only a young hunter but i would definitely not be shooting at it with a shotgun as it might not kill it and you would be breaking the law if you let it get away badly injured.

I would recomend purchasing a fox trap(box trap) and capture the fox in it. Bait it up with a bit of meat or something.

Once you have caught it in the trap, put a thick leather glove on and grab it then break it's neck.

It may take you a good few days or weeks to catch it.

Regards,

I thought that. I'm only 15 but i know a shotgun will certainly kill it, it wouldnt have much of a getaway with a load of shot in it either. Cant say i have heard of breaking ones neck.

Alex

You may be a young hunter mate but with ideas like that you wont reach an old one .Shotgun perfectly ok in the right hands for fox shooting as long as the range dont exceed much beyond 35 yads .Set the fox trap then ring your mate to despatch it with the shotgun at range so as not to destroy the cage .Better still get someone in with a rifle to do the job properly ,then look for the cubs as this is almost certainly the reason for the killing .good luck .

Hi, I'm not particularly young at 26 but I am new to the hunting scene. My Dad is having trouble at the moment with a fox thats taken a couple of lambs and mauled a few protective sheep (could be a badger but for legal reasons lets assume its a fox).

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice hunting a fox. We've got no gun license on the farm but a friend of mine has offered to come down with his shotgun that he mainly uses for clay pigeons. So I've got a method of dispatching it, how do we find it? What time of day is best to look? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

I'm only a young hunter but i would definitely not be shooting at it with a shotgun as it might not kill it and you would be breaking the law if you let it get away badly injured.

I would recomend purchasing a fox trap(box trap) and capture the fox in it. Bait it up with a bit of meat or something.

Once you have caught it in the trap, put a thick leather glove on and grab it then break it's neck.

It may take you a good few days or weeks to catch it.

Regards,

I thought that. I'm only 15 but i know a shotgun will certainly kill it, it wouldnt have much of a getaway with a load of shot in it either. Cant say i have heard of breaking ones neck.

Alex

You may be a young hunter mate but with ideas like that you wont reach an old one .Shotgun perfectly ok in the right hands for fox shooting as long as the range dont exceed much beyond 35 yads .Set the fox trap then ring your mate to despatch it with the shotgun at range so as not to destroy the cage .Better still get someone in with a rifle to do the job properly ,then look for the cubs as this is almost certainly the reason for the killing .good luck .

I've been taken out by a few different people now, and i know a fair bit about hunting now, but one of the blokes who i go with has forgot more then i know. I should have plenty of years ahead of me, so that's plenty more info to take in. I wouldn't offer advice now unless i'm 100% sure. But i have to admit, some people do like to carry things on, i was corrected by one person, then another 20 odd people decided to correct me and have a dig.

did you ever get rid of the fox mate

cheers

trevor

Never did catch it, terrier men won't work in our area unless the den is in the valley bottom. The valley sides are too rocky and some blokes got a terrier stuck a while back, not sure if they got it back they just came round asking us to keep an eye out for it.

Got a lad working in the area with the best job in the world. He's basically responsible for conservation in the area. He's been tidying the river up down our spot this year. He's well into his hunting and if we need anything sorting, if he can't do it, he finds somebody trustworthy who can.

• 3 months later...

I wouldn't shoot a fox with a shot gun at all as i don't agree with it, they should only be shot with rifles in my oppinion.

I'm from a farming background and if you want to be a farmer thinking like that isn't really going to make you a good farmer.

Oh I know instead of my friend on hand with a weapon that at the right distance could easily kill the fox,I will spend a while trying to find someone with a rifle!or Get one myself!Yeah I really dont give a S**t about how many ewes/lambs it kills and how much money i'm losing as long as I make sure I do what I think is the way you kill them!

There isn't a set way of killing a fox.You could probably call it in to distance without too much difficulty,or if you are clever you could "ambush" it.

Get real mate,think like that and your sheep will live in fear because you don't really seem to care about putting a stop to foxes killing your livestock.

We've had a box trap down for couple of days but the only thing we've caught so far is a lamb :D

As for grabbing hold of a cornered fox.... I've got a mate who was savaged by a rat after accidentally cornering it while cleaning out a shed (I haven't made that up either) so I won't be trying to grab hold of a fox.

We'll try the trap for a week I reckon if you lads think that's the best way for now, we're fetching the sheep in at night at the moment but can't keep doing that.

The only trouble with getting someone in to look for the den is that its most likely on somebody elses land so I'll have to have a word with a few of the neighbours first. You can easily get someone's back up if you go rooting around on somebody else's land with guns and dogs.

I'll see how we go on anyway and thanks for the info, I'll keep you posted on any progress ;)

Hello mate

Right find where it is coming in to the field first

Have you let your trap weather? if you have

Then put the trap on the other side of the fence away from the sheep and put the trap at the side of the run not in the run.

cover the bottom with sand or soil just to cover the wire and you willn't go wron, then get your mate to shoot it ;)

Hope that help's chappy

Have a Great Christmas and a Happy New Year Hunting

:gunsmilie:

if the problem persists(it probably will if the vixen has found an easy food source) i would consider setting up some concrete pipe traps( 3 or more lengths of concrete pipe with falling doors).

for the best effect dig them in to hedges,banks or cover with straw/hedge cuttings. these can be baited with wheat and dog food( which will attract mice and in turn predadtors). they are easy to build,easy to maintain,and can be left open. when a problem fox turns out just set the traps and you normally don't have to wait long.

if any non target species are caught you can release them.

20cm pipe is the best(only young badger seem to fit through,normally in summer) but 25- 30 will do it too.

• 2 weeks later...