simple ansewr: catch it in a box trap baited with a dead lamb or chicken carcass. get your mate to kill it with his (what i presume is a 12 gauge) shotty. ok! great.

Aaron :thumbs:

Are any of you young lads actually reading some of these posts?

Box traps are shite,unless you actually understand how a fox thinks,even then your first catch will be your last for a good while,the exeption being "town fox's"

How will setting a box trap catch the vixen,cubs and dog fox?

As for sitting near the den with a gun,the lad asking for advice has said they haven't managed to find it yet.

Maybe some of you should get the playstation back out and forget hunting,we all had to learn but indiscriminate killing and starving cubs is wrong.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the problem with forums isn't it?

I know when I was younger and the only forum I knew starred Frankie Howard, I learnt by going out with someone. If I said something daft then sure, I got ridiculed but not in public for all to see and join in.

We get lots of youngsters come to us on our estate - we have 3 at the minute - the questions they ask sometimes leave us speechless. Our friend here got a right bashing for giving advice that was clearly a non-starter. I say keep asking the questions and making suggestions. If they are completely off the wall, someone will put us straight - hopefully without the abuse. It's surely a more valid use of time than the "changing a word post"?

Probably get a "bashing" for saying this.

Bob G

Bob,

I clearly deserve that post,and i apologise to Aaron for quoting him alone,he's only one of a few[some old enough to know better]

Its easy to forget the mistakes you made yourself,i was lucky to be surrounded by dog men,and took a bit of stick myself when i screwed things up,

Maybe im just getting a grumpy old git?

No offence meant,steve.

Bob,

I clearly deserve that post,and i apologise to Aaron for quoting him alone,he's only one of a few[some old enough to know better]

Its easy to forget the mistakes you made yourself,i was lucky to be surrounded by dog men,and took a bit of stick myself when i screwed things up,

Maybe im just getting a grumpy old git?

No offence meant,steve.

Steve - You're a star. :clapper:

Bob G

• 3 weeks later...

We never did catch the fox, got a bloke in to check a few of the dens we found and he told us they were empty. No trouble since so only two lambs worth of damage. Nobody had any success with the box traps. All the lambs are now big enough to fend for themselves so I reckon that's it until next year. Thanks for everyones' help and offers of assistance.

Hi, I'm not particularly young at 26 but I am new to the hunting scene. My Dad is having trouble at the moment with a fox thats taken a couple of lambs and mauled a few protective sheep (could be a badger but for legal reasons lets assume its a fox).

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice hunting a fox. We've got no gun license on the farm but a friend of mine has offered to come down with his shotgun that he mainly uses for clay pigeons. So I've got a method of dispatching it, how do we find it? What time of day is best to look? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

I'm only a young hunter but i would definitely not be shooting at it with a shotgun as it might not kill it and you would be breaking the law if you let it get away badly injured.

I would recomend purchasing a fox trap(box trap) and capture the fox in it. Bait it up with a bit of meat or something.

Once you have caught it in the trap, put a thick leather glove on and grab it then break it's neck.

It may take you a good few days or weeks to catch it.

Regards,

Alex

break its neck with your hands :clapper: isnt that illegal? most stupid thing i have heard in a long time

you could use a shot gun but you have to be alot closer than using say a 243 with scope or whatever (thats the only fox gun i know) so for a novice in lamping fox it would probably become lamp shy and more of a problem because its hard to catch the fecker once its lamp shy......is there not some honest person locally who is a skilled lamper (think thats the right word) who can sort the problem for you

only new to the hole shooting fox thing but hope this helps

We've had a box trap down for couple of days but the only thing we've caught so far is a lamb :D

As for grabbing hold of a cornered fox.... I've got a mate who was savaged by a rat after accidentally cornering it while cleaning out a shed (I haven't made that up either) so I won't be trying to grab hold of a fox.

We'll try the trap for a week I reckon if you lads think that's the best way for now, we're fetching the sheep in at night at the moment but can't keep doing that.

The only trouble with getting someone in to look for the den is that its most likely on somebody elses land so I'll have to have a word with a few of the neighbours first. You can easily get someone's back up if you go rooting around on somebody else's land with guns and dogs.

I'll see how we go on anyway and thanks for the info, I'll keep you posted on any progress ;)

Lad Ask around find out who your nearest pack of hounds are. Then call them and they can bring a few hounds follow the scent of him back to cubs and then they will have a terrierman who can dig them out. But for the law just say you have lost a few phesants. Doing this you will get lads who prob know your area anyway and know what there doing with the guidelines of the law and stuff. All the best

• 1 month later...
lamp,dog bye bye fox... go for it

Lamping/shooting vixens at this time of year LEAVES CUBS TO STARVE,what dont you understand about that????????????

Well said, find the den with the cubs, shoot or run the vixen then coller up the black stuff and drop one down to them and use the shot gun for the humane dispatch. this is a professional way of doing things

thick leather gloves and break its neck,lol,best laugh iv had for years,killed many like that have you mate ;)

lol leather gloves me arse them needle teeth would open ye up like a cockel but hry if you try it take a few pics of your hands after it :D

im still laughing,sheer stupidty.

I'm no fox huntrer and i didn't realise they will bite through the glove.

if your no fox hunter you should not be dishing out advice really should yoy and to be fair it was s hite advice could of got the lads finger took off

I wouldn't shoot a fox with a shot gun at all as i don't agree with it, they should only be shot with rifles in my oppinion.

Why? why shouldnt you shoot a fox with a shotgun? It can be just as effective as a rifle given the right range and the right shooter. Clearly you have no idea so don't comment if you don't.

• 1 month later...
Hi, I'm not particularly young at 26 but I am new to the hunting scene. My Dad is having trouble at the moment with a fox thats taken a couple of lambs and mauled a few protective sheep (could be a badger but for legal reasons lets assume its a fox).

I was just wondering if anyone had any advice hunting a fox. We've got no gun license on the farm but a friend of mine has offered to come down with his shotgun that he mainly uses for clay pigeons. So I've got a method of dispatching it, how do we find it? What time of day is best to look? Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

get the terriers in

simple ansewr: catch it in a box trap baited with a dead lamb or chicken carcass. get your mate to kill it with his (what i presume is a 12 gauge) shotty. ok! great.

Aaron :thumbs:

Are any of you young lads actually reading some of these posts?

Box traps are shite,unless you actually understand how a fox thinks,even then your first catch will be your last for a good while,the exeption being "town fox's"

How will setting a box trap catch the vixen,cubs and dog fox?

As for sitting near the den with a gun,the lad asking for advice has said they haven't managed to find it yet.

Maybe some of you should get the playstation back out and forget hunting,we all had to learn but indiscriminate killing and starving cubs is wrong.

HAHA WA KILLING CUBS IS WRONG, THEY GROW UP TO BE BIG ONES :laugh: THE ONLY WAY IS GET THE TERRIERS IN, MAYBE HE SHOULD GET OFF THE PLAYSTATION

Cheers

I'm only a young hunter but i would definitely not be shooting at it with a shotgun as it might not kill it and you would be breaking the law if you let it get away badly injured.

I would recomend purchasing a fox trap(box trap) and capture the fox in it. Bait it up with a bit of meat or something.

Once you have caught it in the trap, put a thick leather glove on and grab it then break it's neck.

It may take you a good few days or weeks to catch it.

Regards,

Alex

HAHAHA excellent idea son please please PLEASE will you come and kill the fox's and badgers on my permission with your leather gloves YOU ARE A STAR!!! Il buy you a few pints after iv got you home from furness general hospital :clapper::drinks::signthankspin:

One second mate, i've been corrected time and time again. I only needed one person to correct me. Haven't you got anything better to do then correct and ridicule someone who has already been corrected? Jees man, you realy have one hell of a good life.....