Scopes on HMR

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok I lied, just picked my rifle up this morning from FA Andersons in E. Grinstead.... Anschutx .17 HMR with sporter stock and S&B 6x42 Hungarian on top.... chap in the shop reckoned it shouldn't be too much of a prob....?

Mr. Logic... I see where you're coming from....

I'll post some pics on the forum and should be zeroing it tomorrow with any luck so I'll let ya know how I get on... Cheers!

Ok I lied, just picked my rifle up this morning from FA Andersons in E. Grinstead.... Anschutx .17 HMR with sporter stock and S&B 6x42 Hungarian on top.... chap in the shop reckoned it shouldn't be too much of a prob....?

I'll post some pics on the forum and should be zeroing it tomorrow with any luck so I'll let ya know how I get on... Cheers!

how much did you get the anchutz for and how much was the scope? just interested, cheers

i tried a s&b 6x42 on my hmr after taking it off my 223.......bloody thing was worse than useless on the hmr...didnt have a hope at 150 yard head shots......exellent scope on a 22lr were it is now

What are the prices of these scopes? :o

Why are they better than my BSA Essential 6-24X50 AO?

The BSA looks to me like really an excellent scope , even at 24X zoom it is very good :hmm:

I like to see the target close up , so i can try to make a better shot :hmm: :hmm:

Edited by elvolcan

The BSA looks to me like really an excellent scope , even at 24X zoom it is very good :hmm:

I like to see the target close up , so i can try to make a better shot :hmm: :hmm:

Have you ever looked through a Leupold VX-III or a Schmidt & Bender? If not, try one.

Then, find someone who has one and try it again, this time in low light or on the lamp. You won't need any further argument!

But if you do... adjustments adjust properly. The scopes are better made and better finished.

Mainly though, they actually do what they are meant to do, which is why they're worth the money!!

Have you ever looked through a Leupold VX-III or a Schmidt & Bender? If not, try one.

Then, find someone who has one and try it again, this time in low light or on the lamp. You won't need any further argument!

But if you do... adjustments adjust properly. The scopes are better made and better finished.

Mainly though, they actually do what they are meant to do, which is why they're worth the money!!

i would of thought if you get a milk bottle and stick it on the end of an s&b scope then look through it it would still be clearer than any cheapy bsa scope :clapper::clapper::clapper: ....s&b dont do or need gimiks.just plain and exellent scopes that do exactly what they are designed to do....

Try Leupold VX-III, Bushnell 4200, Nikon Monarch. A bit more than your BSAs but much better.

The top European glass is amazing, but IMHO you can get by with less. I have a 6.5-20 VX-III, and while it's not as good as my 8x56 Schmidt, it was far cheaper than the Schmidt 4-16x50. I've never been in the field with it, and wished I had a better scope. That has happened a lot with the the cheap crap I used to use...

how much did you get the anchutz for and how much was the scope? just interested, cheers

the anschutz was i think £715 and the scope £440 or so...

i tried a s&b 6x42 on my hmr after taking it off my 223.......bloody thing was worse than useless on the hmr...didnt have a hope at 150 yard head shots......exellent scope on a 22lr were it is now

well I never really realised how bloody far 100 yd actually is! especially for a small target life a rabbit, but I reckon the reticule covers about 3/4 - 1 inch at 100 yd but I wanted to get really decent glass as I hadn't spent that much on my previous scope... (£50)- 3-9x56 IR walther but didn't want to spend megabucks.... also the 6x42 looks much better on a small trim rifle like that anyways.... and unless they're reaaaaly jittery, i suspect you can stalk within at least 100 yd of any bunny? and at night? well they're as good as dead :laugh: (plus you get a better cheek weld to boot)

i guess but they only have like 6x zoom unless you want to pay about 2grand lol

absoulutely!!! variable continental scopes is where the cheque book tries escaping from your pocket :laugh:

plus you can't get POI change by changing the scope mag as you can with cheap extreem zoom range scopes...

Edited by danebrewer10

tum tum te tum..... hmmm IIII'd go with the nikko.... as you've got better magnification... if you want the cheaper scope but still nothing to sniff at on the features side... go with the bushnell, as you don't really need to use kentucky elevation with the HMR, i'd go with the bushnell as the magnification range will suit just fine (duplex reticule), esp. if you get a bunny pop out 20 yd away.... pooosibly a bit tricky if you're stuck on 24x zoom :clapper: Gotta say I haven't actuallly had any experience with either of these myself, but I looked through the 4-16x50 Nikko Nighteater at the gunshop and it looks pretty decent - clear and good finish/build, which might be a better buy... as you don't really need 24X zoom... IMHO

I'd not get either of them. If you want cheap then get a JSR, they're not actually as bad as their cheap price tag suggests.

On an HMR, you don't need to go mad, but you do want half-decent optics, and good adjustments.

I would go with either Bushnell Elite 3200 (have one and it's very good, for the money. Adjustments work properly and the optics are clear and relatively bright) or a Nikon Buckmaster (Fieldmaster). Both ranges are the cheap side of good.

I'd go with 4-12x40 or 50, as I find 3-9 a little bit light for 150-yard rabbits. Bushnell will be about £250 for that, and the Nikon a similar amount. If you are happy with a fixed mag, then Bushnell's Elite 3200 10x40 will work very well.