spaniel commands

i am new to the whole world of spaniel craziness, and whilst i know what i want to train the dog to do, quartering, retrieving etc, i am not sure about is whether there are a certain set of commands which everyone uses or does each dog have its own set of words and whistle blasts which he understands?

i am new to the whole world of spaniel craziness, and whilst i know what i want to train the dog to do, quartering, retrieving etc, i am not sure about is whether there are a certain set of commands which everyone uses or does each dog have its own set of words and whistle blasts which he understands?

i have 2 cocker spainels mate what i use is 2 slow blasts to stop one long one to sit and 2 fast ones to come back they seam to work well if you go to game fairs and that you will see they ues the same hope this helps.

its not easy training a dog but if you be a member of the field tral clubs they is people on there that can train your dogs for freee

i have 2 cocker spainels mate what i use is 2 slow blasts to stop one long one to sit and 2 fast ones to come back they seam to work well if you go to game fairs and that you will see they ues the same hope this helps.

its not easy training a dog but if you be a member of the field tral clubs they is people on there that can train your dogs for freee

Thanks for the reply, i will get him trained to that, my dog is not kc registered but he is an english springer no doubt, do these clubs allow him in or does he have to be registered?

You can choose any command signal you want but if you want to beat with your dog I would reccommend selecting different commands because if there are half a dozen dog all with the same or similar whistle commands it just confuses the dogs, seen it happen more than a few times.

The norm is: 1 short blast = sit/stop

2 short blast = return to you

3 short blast = change direction

There is then hand signals for left, right, go back, heel.

Personally Ive got my own signals on the whistle

Joe Irving Their Learning Chain and Trianing Spaniels: PRA Moxon Training a Roughshooters Dog are very good books to read esp. Their Learning Chain

Hope this helps

Ben

Thanks for the reply, i will get him trained to that, my dog is not kc registered but he is an english springer no doubt, do these clubs allow him in or does he have to be registered?

yes they do mate just pay £10 and they send you all the people that is with them then you can phone them direct i did you will find they love there dogs and will do what they can to help you one give me 3 hours a week to do mine

Why would you want to have 2 commands to do the same job? If your dog sits it's stopped!!!.

Get a book / dvd and make the effort to learn. You can use what ever commands you want but just make sure you stick to them & do them EVERY time.

For the record I use

1 pip - SIT

2 pips - Turn

2 pips (repeated) - Come to me.

It's a spaniel so no need for long blasts

Have Fun

Why would you want to have 2 commands to do the same job? If your dog sits it's stopped!!!.

Get a book / dvd and make the effort to learn. You can use what ever commands you want but just make sure you stick to them & do them EVERY time.

For the record I use

1 pip - SIT

2 pips - Turn

2 pips (repeated) - Come to me.

It's a spaniel so no need for long blasts

Have Fun

Good point a blast to me is as much air as you can blow through the whistle from when you remove your tounge from the blow hole and put it back as quick as you can

You can choose any command signal you want but if you want to beat with your dog I would reccommend selecting different commands because if there are half a dozen dog all with the same or similar whistle commands it just confuses the dogs, seen it happen more than a few times.

good point, but should other people be able to stop my dog if he is being a pain?

Joe Irving Their Learning Chain and Trianing Spaniels: PRA Moxon Training a Roughshooters Dog are very good books to read esp. Their Learning Chain

Hope this helps

Ben

will get on amazon then, Ta

yes they do mate just pay £10 and they send you all the people that is with them then you can phone them direct i did you will find they love there dogs and will do what they can to help you one give me 3 hours a week to do mine

I will check it out and see if there are any near me down here

thanks

I have a black cocker dog & trained him to the commands butcherboy listed No,1 is a 1sec blast to sit No.2 is 2pips to turn & No.3 is 4-5pips together to return. If i sit him i give a gone away command to start hunting again & to start at the start of a drive i send off with a click of fingers & pointing in the direction i wish him to take with a steady on/gone away command either really.

""good point, but should other people be able to stop my dog if he is being a pain?""

Yes but you dont want him to become unsure if he hears a barage of contradictory comands else he will start to ignore your commands thinking they are just noise or worse that they must be for someone else. When I first started training my dog I was told by many people to think ahead so you can avoid situations that would be detrimental (ie minimising the chance of your dog to disobey) in your training. This has been cofirmed again by the books that Ive reccommened.