stock no 3 finished

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest air gunner

I now appreciate how hard it is to create a stock as good as yours a whole lot more! i had a go my self yesterday using some walnut i have handy mine is for a springer it looks quite good but my poor choice of wood means there are some wormholes etc i will post some pics when finished mine has taken 11 hours so far.

I now appreciate how hard it is to create a stock as good as yours a whole lot more! i had a go my self yesterday using some walnut i have handy mine is for a springer it looks quite good but my poor choice of wood means there are some wormholes etc i will post some pics when finished mine has taken 11 hours so far.

takes some time mate huh, ive had the same thing with a few holes, walnut is quiet notty and you end up with some holes sometimes, i got some walnut brummer and filled them then they just look like a knot, sometimes it pays ta mix a bit a dark woodstain inta the brummer ta make it nearly black to look like a knot. let us know how u get on mate,

Guest Scuba1

Another cheap way of filling the holes in is to get some epoxy resin and mix that with the dust you get from sanding down the wood until it turns into a paste then use that to fill in the holes.

HTH

Michael

Guest air gunner

It sure does take some time! Im getting impatient about this varnish buisness! the way i got rid of the knots is to pour some superglue into the hole then pour the fine dust from the 180 sandpaper and push it in with the back of a skrewdriver. How many coats did you do davy?

It sure does take some time! Im getting impatient about this varnish buisness! the way i got rid of the knots is to pour some superglue into the hole then pour the fine dust from the 180 sandpaper and push it in with the back of a skrewdriver. How many coats did you do davy?

well the first one i done i gave it a coat of sanding sealer first then about 8 coats of danish oil, found a prob with this is that the oil seems ta sit on top of the sanding sealer, you get a nice build up but also marks easy, so the others i done i left out the sanding sealer so the oil penetrates more, about 8 coats and i found it gives a much better finish , you could use other oils like tung, linseed takes a long time ta dry though. theres more or you could wax it , realy a matter of trial and error ta see what you like on scrap pieces a wood, good luck with it mate , if i can be of any help mate just message me , thanks midge

hi midge

looking good buddy, have you access to a CNC machine or know some one who has one? there still looking good buddy

regards

davy

not at this moment in time mate no, no way i could afford one , bit outa my leauge. mind you any i make can def be called one offs and no one else will have one the same . trouble is i wanna keep em all