Top Quality Coursing slip Leads

just wondering how much did that cost you? atb sp.w

£25 mate, by the looks of it I might end up regreting parting with :o such is life, atb Richard

ps, just a thought but would replacing the string with some sort of wire sort the string breaking/tangle problem? might try that!

How about these :clapper:

I have a set of those too ,that is the double Altcar Slip, The problem with them ,imo is that they were designed for a slipper to come out from behind a shy and move forward rapidly as the hare went past ,the slipper,when he adjudged the hare had sufficient law used the impetus of his ,and the brace of dogs forward movement to enable him to let go of the T shaped handle and only retain the loop which is attached to the cord and linchpin . Thats fine when you know a hare is coming from a predetermined direction .[allways the same in driven Coursing], but not much good when one jumps behind you going the other way and the dogs cartwheel trying to get on it. They are ok for formal coursing but less than useful for walked up events imo, where often one dog gets slipped while the other backs out and tries to fight the collar.

More useful ,if you feel you must have a proper slip lead are those lengths of leather with the shape of a greyhound collar on one and a tail piece after that ,the other end is a straight strap with a loop for the wrist on the end, the clever bit is that along it is an attached ring ,for the tail piece to go through , and back into your hand ,when a slip is required , you just let go of the tail piece. But personally I just use a lead with the end off slipped through my dogs greyhound collar ,its kinder to the dogs neck than baler twine ,and to your hands too ,especially if you have a dog that pulls.

Edited by inan
just wondering how much did that cost you? atb sp.w

£25 mate, by the looks of it I might end up regreting parting with :o such is life, atb Richard

ps, just a thought but would replacing the string with some sort of wire sort the string breaking/tangle problem? might try that!

have had a slip like yours since about 92 its been left on the hills twice 1week and 3 weeks still has original cord cost £8 i like it because i run my dogs without a collar if im on some hot permission ill use a bit of baler twine which can then be dropped the only problem i ever had was out lamping was putting the lead on i caught the dogs ear in the catch

• 2 weeks later...

looks like a copy of an old design ..i had one of the originals in the 80,s ... all brass and smaller, the leather work was attached to the barrel differantly..it was rounded and the cable for release was brake/gear cable from a pushbike...it also went through the toggle handle inside so it was easier to release without tangle..

i would still use this rather than running the dog with a collar on...

ropes cheap..as they say.

let us know how it fares in the field please... i might have one for when im on permision.

atb

vin