No not tree sparrows.Only breed in selected places around the country.Your very lucky bryon would love to see them.No eggs as of yet but defently house sparrows nesting .....Honest fellas :DGreat idea OTC the great big nest thread.

Love tree Sparrows, even though they arnt that different to House Sparrows its always a privelage to see them. we have a few knocking about and had one twittering away in the garden all this week. Does anyone know if you can tell the difference between the male and female ? Also we have Willow Tits in the garden, or are they marsh Tits ? :hmm:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found a couple more today when I was out taking the dog for a walk

The great tits were busy in and out of this hollow elder stump

tn_IMG_2997.jpg

Searched around the tops of a few pollarded willows down by the river for the mallards that usually nest up there and then I spotted her . . .

tn_IMG_3000.jpg

Sitting tight on a clutch of ten which I covered up before I left ;)

tn_IMG_3002.jpg

Plenty of wood pigeons and magpies in the tops of the blossoming blackthorns too

OTC

Used to love looking for egg's years ago,before the wildlife and countryside act came in,would take photo's and leave them alone.Will post some when i look them out,

the magic of it was you could look at an egg and it would take you right back to the day.

When out fishing and find any now i take photo and they are great to look back on,atb Ned.

PS.Sorry about quality of photo's had to scan them,all old photo's,atb NID.

Copyofimg044Medium.jpg

Lapwing on top of molehill

Copyofimg045Medium.jpg

img046Medium.jpg

Ringed plover

Is the second picture down Golden Plover?

Im 52 and cant resist shoving my hand in a crows nest, they nest low here because theres not many trees on the coast. Quite often in tamarisk 8 to 10 feet off the ground, I like the variety of colours. Once I saw a buzzard fly out of a blackthorn, the wide nest was less than chest height off the ground, and I stood beside it, there was 2 eggs and a young rabbit on the edge, about half a mile away was another in the first fork of a small tree about 8 foot off the ground with 2 chicks. I made these observations when I had shooting permission there, but the farm changed hands and I cant go there anymore. By the way, first swallow this afternoon April 10.

Found a couple more today when I was out taking the dog for a walk

The great tits were busy in and out of this hollow elder stump

The Great Tits have been flat out here too... I spent a while watching them, but couldn't figure out where they were tooing and froing from... Any tips? what sort of sites do they like...?

Used to love looking for egg's years ago,before the wildlife and countryside act came in,would take photo's and leave them alone.Will post some when i look them out,

the magic of it was you could look at an egg and it would take you right back to the day.

When out fishing and find any now i take photo and they are great to look back on,atb Ned.

PS.Sorry about quality of photo's had to scan them,all old photo's,atb NID.

Copyofimg044Medium.jpg

Lapwing on top of molehill

Copyofimg045Medium.jpg

img046Medium.jpg

Ringed plover

Is the second picture down Golden Plover?

Hi Miles,know what your saying the variation in marking's between the two nests.

To be honest there was'nt a great distance between the two site's,yet the marking's totally different but they are two Lapwing nest's,atb NID.

Great stuff OLC,the robin's bring back memories,i could see the parents coming and going but looked for ages with no sucess till i looked in a small paint tin and there it was.

Come on lad's there must be more photo's to come,atb NID.

Edited by NID