1st whippet X grey/collie/whippet

hi guys,

i've just got my 1st dog whippet X grey/collie/whippet, and been on here a while now and got some good advice like starting him on the basic's like sit, stay, recall. retrieve, just wondered if someone can go in to detail on:-

* the best age to start him with ferrets and coursing,

* best way to learn how to lamp and whats involved,

* teach it to jump wire and gate ( or is it just in their blood as both parent are good working dog's)

i think thats it for now, but if anyone knows of anything that i've missed please feel free to mention them.

also if theres anyone in the south east area thats has a bit of experiance thats will to share and wouldn't mind me tagging along, that would be a great help to see the adult dogs in action.

cheers

turk

Edited by turk88

ferriting no chance now since its near the end of the season try it with ratting get out with some terrier boys thats a start DO NOT RUN IT ON A HARE UNTILL ITS ATLEAST 15 MONTHS its little hart wonte take it. i have seen it first hand a mate of mine had a stunning blue whippit he ran it on a hare on its first birthday and it dint go home alive it ripped a mussel in its heart and died but thats my opinion i would not run a dog on a hare till it was near enuff fully mature and built up enuff. as for lamping try taking it out during the day to get it started so you can show it the rabbits and let it have a chase. at night on the lamp it will take some time to get the idea but it will do it after a few attempts/ missis. as for gates and wire fances they soon lern that they hurt and jump them depending on how determind and fast the dog is going it will jump it. it will clear a 5 bar gate no problem at all. barbed wire it will get some scratches and grazes. the main one to look out for is machinery the amount of times my dog has rapped its self around machinery is unreal so is always a good idea to carry a small medical kit for the dog i.e anti septic whipes creams bandges. you can garentee the dog will wind its self a good few times from running into things. when the dog starts to get tired enuff is enuff dont presure it to carry on let it rest for a bit then carry on. the way i do thinkgs is probs diffrent to alot of people that just use there lurchers as a tool. i have my dogs needs to my interest. if you were wonting to travel down to yeovil id be more than happy to let you run your dog along side mine and give you some pointers. just mind when you are out block the holes so the rabbit cant run into it so basicly walk the hedge line near the burries realy to get it catching you wont it to be out now while there is young rabbits about that are not as wide or as fast and the littlins still make good eating

clabby

Have you asked the man you got them off? Have you any friends with working dogs?

I'm not going to take the piss again but you seem like a hell of an inexperienced lad and you sound like you need some more hands on help/advise.

Have you asked the man you got them off? Have you any friends with working dogs?

I'm not going to take the piss again but you seem like a hell of an inexperienced lad and you sound like you need some more hands on help/advise.

he is [bANNED TEXT] but time and patience and you will be there will take a few months befor you get any decent results on the lamp till it lerns to turn faster and antisipate the rabbits next move it will over shoot and miss so many then it will click and will do you proud just dont get angry with it when it missis encourage it. most people here will agree with me here the chase is the best buzz ever you will have such a adrenalin rush the rabbit is just a bonus

try it with ratting get out with some terrier boys thats a start DO NOT RUN IT ON A HARE UNTILL ITS ATLEAST 15 MONTHS its little hart wonte take it. i have seen it first hand a mate of mine had a stunning blue whippit he ran it on a hare on its first birthday and it dint go home alive it ripped a mussel in its heart and died. as for gates and wire fances they soon lern that they hurt and jump them depending on how determind and fast the dog is going it will jump it. it will clear a 5 bar gate no problem at all. barbed wire it will get some scratches and grazes. the main one to look out for is machinery the amount of times my dog has rapped its self around machinery is unreal so is always a good idea to carry a small medical kit for the dog i.e anti septic whipes creams bandges. the way i do thinkgs is probs diffrent to alot of people that just use there lurchers as a tool. i have my dogs needs to my interest. if you were wonting to travel down to yeovil id be more than happy to let you run your dog along side mine and give you some pointers. just mind when you are out block the holes so the rabbit cant run into it so basicly walk the hedge line near the burries realy to get it catching you wont it to be out now while there is young rabbits about that are not as wide or as fast and the littlins still make good eating

clabby

You are class Clabby :clapper:

try it with ratting get out with some terrier boys thats a start DO NOT RUN IT ON A HARE UNTILL ITS ATLEAST 15 MONTHS its little hart wonte take it. i have seen it first hand a mate of mine had a stunning blue whippit he ran it on a hare on its first birthday and it dint go home alive it ripped a mussel in its heart and died. as for gates and wire fances they soon lern that they hurt and jump them depending on how determind and fast the dog is going it will jump it. it will clear a 5 bar gate no problem at all. barbed wire it will get some scratches and grazes. the main one to look out for is machinery the amount of times my dog has rapped its self around machinery is unreal so is always a good idea to carry a small medical kit for the dog i.e anti septic whipes creams bandges. the way i do thinkgs is probs diffrent to alot of people that just use there lurchers as a tool. i have my dogs needs to my interest. if you were wonting to travel down to yeovil id be more than happy to let you run your dog along side mine and give you some pointers. just mind when you are out block the holes so the rabbit cant run into it so basicly walk the hedge line near the burries realy to get it catching you wont it to be out now while there is young rabbits about that are not as wide or as fast and the littlins still make good eating

clabby

what the f**k is your problem you c**t id love to meet you see if you as f*****g brave as you are behind a key bord. keep it up you b*****d and ill ram your keybord down your f*****g throat. you twat

clabby

what the f**k is your problem you c**t id love to meet you see if you as f*****g brave as you are behind a key bord. keep it up you b*****d and ill ram your keybord down your f*****g throat. you twat

Problem is Clabby you write nonsense and tell lies and I'm not the one giving it the big un.

clabby

Problem is Clabby you write nonsense and tell lies and I'm not the one giving it the big un.

the thing is i aint lying. i have no need to lye so your telling me that you have ran puppys on 5 6 -11 month old dogs on hares. any one with a brain cell would not do it. i seen that whippit keel over and die. after coursing a hair as it was not strong enuff. look i dont wont to start bitchin speshly [bANNED TEXT] we are both into the same thing. but how can ypu say im lying when you dont no me you dont no who i am. and no nothing about me and what i have done. there is a thread on airgunforum about it posted by dave ed black adder it was his dog and he lives 5 minits down the road from me i can give you a contact number and can ask him your self

I rekon best thing is to be totally chilled when learning or teaching anything to a young un, im no expert and learn sommert new everytime we go out. With ours from pups ive had em around ferrets from day one, just goin down everyday at feeding and when im handling them, give loads of praise but always be on your gaurd. Most basic training can start in the garden, get the commands right and at a young age they will stick. For me I wouldnt even start working a dog until 12 - 18 months of age, depending on the dog. Another big n for us is getting them stock proof, get them around as much live stock as you can. End of the day its your dog and once you get that bond and relationship anything is possible you got to be able trust each other. I remember catching a young lad kicking crap out of his dog for not comming back to him straight away, would you go back if you were gonna get batterd everytime you did? Always be firm with your dog, they can take the piss, be gentle and kind and give loads of praise every time they do summert you want em to.

I rekon best thing is to be totally chilled when learning or teaching anything to a young un, im no expert and learn sommert new everytime we go out. With ours from pups ive had em around ferrets from day one, just goin down everyday at feeding and when im handling them, give loads of praise but always be on your gaurd. Most basic training can start in the garden, get the commands right and at a young age they will stick. For me I wouldnt even start working a dog until 12 - 18 months of age, depending on the dog. Another big n for us is getting them stock proof, get them around as much live stock as you can. End of the day its your dog and once you get that bond and relationship anything is possible you got to be able trust each other. I remember catching a young lad kicking crap out of his dog for not comming back to him straight away, would you go back if you were gonna get batterd everytime you did? Always be firm with your dog, they can take the piss, be gentle and kind and give loads of praise every time they do summert you want em to.

you are [bANNED TEXT] about being chilled with the dog as it does take time but i personaly think that 12-18months is a little late but each to there own