cattle dog and kelpie x ?

Neal............. I know the fella from north wales your on about he is a pest controller and has worked that dog for quite a few years now but he has retired Jake due to age. He has had a bitch pup from the litter I bred last year and to date is more than happy with her, he thinks she has that little something extra to the last couple of dog's that he has had and thinks she will do well for him. It will be interesting to see how she gets on as he will most definately test her to the full ;)

Almost a year old now

pupsat75weeks023.jpg

pupsat75weeks008.jpg

All the best

Mike

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers mate shes 2nd generation cattle dog greyhound. Atb Adam 

Posted Images

Thanks Mike, it's a small world. Say, "Hi!" to him for me. We only met the once at Highclere where we both met Dave to pick the pups up but I remember having a couple of phone conversations during the first year of the pups' lives.

I think that kind of sums up kelpies and heelers: "that little something extra."

Thanks Mike, it's a small world. Say, "Hi!" to him for me. We only met the once at Highclere where we both met Dave to pick the pups up but I remember having a couple of phone conversations during the first year of the pups' lives.

I think that kind of sums up kelpies and heelers: "that little something extra."

Will do Neal. I will probably give him a ring over easter when I'm off work as we usually end up talking for an age :D

I really like the ausi dogs especialy the acd.

Great story about the dog living wild.

Does anyone own or know of any acdxkelpie's?

I'v seen a couple of these and i reckon put to a greyhound could produce something special.

Don't quote me on this (famous last words), but I heard a few years ago that lots of Australian stockmen were using heeler x kelpies as they were finding it difficult to get decent heeler lines.

Don't quote me on this (famous last words), but I heard a few years ago that lots of Australian stockmen were using heeler x kelpies as they were finding it difficult to get decent heeler lines.

There's one on a farm that we shoot on and he's quite simply a machine. Slighter than a cattle dog but tough as old boots and smart with it. I've got some pics of him that I'll throw on when I get home. He works with a pure heeler and he's the top dog by far. He's a b*****d of a guard dog too but thankfully he took a shine to me.

Stabs, I think I remember seeing a photo of the dog you're talking about in a previous thread; handsome looking dog if I remember correctly. I met a bloke a few years ago who asked if my kelpie, Rust, was, "one of those Australian dogs." The reason he was so apprehensive was because he'd been chased across a campsite in Australia by one. :D

Also, when my middle bitch was at the vets for a few days two years ago, as they didn't have Australian Kelpie in their data base she was recorded as Australian Cattle Dog. When I went to pick her up she had a really gammy eye and the stupid veterinary nurse said she didn't go in to the cage to clean her eye because she'd heard that ACDs could be vicious. :doh::censored:

Acdx kelpies are very common over here and are very handy dogs used on cattle I have worked with both purbreeds and this cross even ones with a bit of boarder collie blood even ones with a bit extra EBT blood for rough work pushing semi wild cattle out of mountain gullies and creeks chocked with blackberry and lantana( another couple of lovely plants imported from the motherland). Straight cattledogs can be accussed of being a bit lazy But i have always found them right there when you need them. Oh to be 30yrs younger and still playing those games.

I used to spend a lot of time chasing hares and foxes on a golf course with a good mate and his straight ACDs they of cause could not foot it with the game but we used to get a few when they snatched them out of their beds.

stevemac

I like there attitude, they are not as "easy" to train as collies and have a stubborn streak. We trained a couple for manwork and they were average but their nosework was very good. A fella I know had a cattle dog lurcher and swears it was the best dog he has ever owned.

well how about that Stabs I can rememberit being a ornamental garden plant when I was a kid and I can still hear my grand dad tell me it was rubish and would be a blight on the landscape, Guess he was right about that atleast. HAHA

Ya that dog looks like some of the ones I new others looked more kelpie though others that had a bit of bully blood were very simular just a heavier head.

stevemac