• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers mate shes 2nd generation cattle dog greyhound. Atb Adam 

Posted Images

Does any one have any experience with german coolies? very popular in aus, i was told there stamina is even greater than the kelpies or collies, and an added bonus with these is there temp is superb.

I'v seen a couple of these dogs work on huge very rough ground and i was very very impressed with them, i think the german coolie would be well worth using over a grey or whippet grey.

I have thought of putting a pure A.C.D. over my Kelpie bitch but not sure if there are any "working" A.C.D. lines in britain or are they mostly just show types ?

My wife used to live in Austraila and always said the cattle dogs in this country were very different in looks and temperament to the Ozzy dogs...............

I have thought of putting a pure A.C.D. over my Kelpie bitch but not sure if there are any "working" A.C.D. lines in britain or are they mostly just show types ?

My wife used to live in Austraila and always said the cattle dogs in this country were very different in looks and temperament to the Ozzy dogs...............

I know of a fella that had an A.C.D. in this country and didn't find it any good for hunting work at all, in fact he gave it back to the breeder this is mainly the reason for not doing it as finding good working blood may be impossible probably best to just stick with the Kelpie bloodline that I have now.............

I think it was John Holmes who imported the second ACD, Honey, into the UK and although he worked his Heelers I think all the other imports have been from show blood. Incidentally, I think Speckle was sired by Honey's son called Kulta.

I would`nt be looking at any other type Mike if i were you ;)

Maybe i could be heading South West for the next Dog :D

I've told you before you can't afford a pup off me :D seriously though I think Ruby is a real good bitch and has a very good temprement which was the reason for using her she had also been extensively tested in the field over 5 years before she had a litter and so to pollute that pure working/hunting blood with show blood would be a cardinal sin.

Sorry if I am missing something here mate, why do you want to put a pure ACD over a Kelpie? is it to cross with greyhound or whippet, or is the Kelpie a cross already, if not would they not produce pups that are very heavy built.

Dogs that my ACD x were bred off were originally from show/pet stock but their owners worked them to some degree, to fox and rabbit when legal, and they all took to it and produced good working lurchers.

Have to say chaps some outstanding looking dogs there,the kelpie cross looks to be a more racier type than the cattle dog cross.I've taken some pics of my bitch and she is a chunk with "legs like cricket stumps" lol,not quite sure where her thick coat comes from mind.She's five months and a bit now and like i said i'm happy with how she's turning out both in temprement and body,time will tell though.Sheamus i didn't breed the bitch i just had her at mine to rear the litter and find her a new home,the dam is now at a polo stables in the new forest with 2 other cattle dogs to run around with all day.If my bitch proves her worth then who knows what the future brings with breeding her but all thats a few years of work away yet mate.

Picture569.jpg

Picture576.jpg

Picture577.jpg

Picture578.jpg

These dogs won't ever be everybodies cup of tea but real grafters they are and imo probebly nearer to old time lurchers than a modern collie cross,guarding,hearding,catching and not looking like a greyhound.Definetly not dogs for the novice handler but ones caperble of doing anything asked of them.

Hello mate, good photos, very heavy pup should be a good un, , don't know where that thick coat comes from? first one I have seen with a coat as rough as that.

Mike, I've been on this thread no end of times and have to say it's a beauty. Keep looking at the photo of your big dog and I've got to say that I just can't find fault in him, sad but I've even taken photos of him on the phone and shown everyone that's into dogs and they all say the same, stunning!!

Not blowing anyone but on looks alone, having not seen the dog work, he must be what anyone breeding this cross would be aiming for. If he's got the same work ethic as the kelpie blooded stuff we use and being nearly twice the weight then, well, it makes my spine tingle . . . . . In a good way of course!!!

I know very little about ACD's but having seen posts on here and another forum about your dogs I can't see why you would want to go far from what your doing now. Like I said I'm no expert and you clearly know what your doing. Every post I've read about the litter you bred last year have been by very impressed owners.

By the way was the last pup that went advertised in the CMW ? If so I saw it and if I hadn't just got my 3/4Kelpie 1/4collie pup I would have been on the phone like a shot. Still that's life and if I get my sh1t sorted and the pup comes up to scratch I may be in touch for advice !!

From what I've seen of the kelpie crosses they are fairly typey. It seems that pups out of a kelpie bitch to a greyhound produce smaller rabbity type of dog but bred the other way would give you a dog capable of anything within reason.

By the way if anyone's interested there's a few snaps of my bitch on the "Why bedlingtons" thread. Will try and put some on this thread but still hopeless with technology!

All the best,

Finn.

It was only a thought putting the A.C.D. across my bitch (this was to produce a bitch which I would then have worked and tested which would then have been put to a greyhound if it was up to the job0.Like I said most of what I saw were the show type and were of a much heavier build than my Kelpie bitch, this combined with the lack of working stock made the descision for me.

Finn .............thanks for the compliments fella can't get out the house at the moment as me heads to big....lol....... :D ...... like you say putting the greyhound to my bitch does seem to have thrown a smaller slightly lighter built litter of pups but they are not too small,Cody's litter were a lot bigger and he is definately a better size of dog for coping with all types of quarry without to much trouble ;) my aim at breeding my bitch was to produce a slightly smaller, lighter bitch for myself which I think I have achieved and all that have had pups seem to be very happy with them, next season will be the start of testing Xena and if succesfull in a few years time the breeding prgramme can continue. You did indeed see the last pup advertised in the CMW got let down by a couple of timewasters for that dog and he stayed with me a little longer than he should have but that's life eh.....

Thanks

Mike

It was only a thought putting the A.C.D. across my bitch (this was to produce a bitch which I would then have worked and tested which would then have been put to a greyhound if it was up to the job0.Like I said most of what I saw were the show type and were of a much heavier build than my Kelpie bitch, this combined with the lack of working stock made the descision for me.

Finn .............thanks for the compliments fella can't get out the house at the moment as me heads to big....lol....... :D ...... like you say putting the greyhound to my bitch does seem to have thrown a smaller slightly lighter built litter of pups but they are not too small,Cody's litter were a lot bigger and he is definately a better size of dog for coping with all types of quarry without to much trouble ;) my aim at breeding my bitch was to produce a slightly smaller, lighter bitch for myself which I think I have achieved and all that have had pups seem to be very happy with them, next season will be the start of testing Xena and if succesfull in a few years time the breeding prgramme can continue. You did indeed see the last pup advertised in the CMW got let down by a couple of timewasters for that dog and he stayed with me a little longer than he should have but that's life eh.....

Thanks

Mike

Wouldn't mind seeing some photos of your Kelpie mate, your grey /kelpies look good, adding ACD may produce heavier built, if you did cross acd/kelpie the finer boned ones may be more to your suiting.

I have a ACD/WHIP/GREY who is only 22inch, she is whippet size with cattle dog build, very agile and strong built, 14 months old, only used her for mooching and ferreting, has good nose and hunts well.

The photos are on earlier replies.

Both your lurchers look very capable, especially like the dog.