cattle dog and kelpie x ?

It`s only on rare occasions that you see legs on working dogs the same thickness as a mans wrist. That quality only appeals to a dedicated few :D

Neil this dog here sired by Okaro Max stands at 22 inch and at 17 month old he`s 19 kg in weight.

I previously said he was 14 month which was incorrect..

Size of feet and bone, red one ACD/GREY/WHIP 23months and 21 inch, black one acd/grey aged 9, 25 inch ish. Both strong broad chest.

post-12550-126079305294_thumb.jpgpost-12550-12607930654_thumb.jpgpost-12550-126079307828_thumb.jpgpost-12550-126079309348_thumb.jpg

ohh yea the acd cross has very strong feet and good size conkers nice pics wr :tongue2:

asme9

Edited by ASME IX

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers mate shes 2nd generation cattle dog greyhound. Atb Adam 

Posted Images

It`s only on rare occasions that you see legs on working dogs the same thickness as a mans wrist. That quality only appeals to a dedicated few :D

Neil this dog here sired by Okaro Max stands at 22 inch and at 17 month old he`s 19 kg in weight.

I previously said he was 14 month which was incorrect..

Size of feet and bone, red one ACD/GREY/WHIP 23months and 21 inch, black one acd/grey aged 9, 25 inch ish. Both strong broad chest.

post-12550-126079305294_thumb.jpgpost-12550-12607930654_thumb.jpgpost-12550-126079307828_thumb.jpgpost-12550-126079309348_thumb.jpg

ohh yea the acd cross has very strong feet and good size conkers nice pics wr :tongue2:

asme9

Yea the dogz bollox, ha ha.

Neal, just googled Cottonwood Matt, nice looking dog. Any further info would be of interest. All info's good info !!

Found a contact to Mr Hensons farm so just got to pluck up the courage to get in touch and try to get some details about the dogs history without coming across all weird!!!

All the best, Finn.

Hi Finn; the name Cottonwood Matt rang a bell but I wasn't certain so I've done a little reasearching and found out the following:

Semen from two dogs, Cottonwood Matt and Boanong Tommy from the Avenpart Stud was imported by John Brown, Balbuthie Farms, Fife. Matt's semen produced two litters of seven and Tommy's produced a litter of eleven then a litter of seven to one of Matt's daughters. If you put "John Brown one man and his kelpie" into google you'll find an article about it.

Is Adam Henson's dog from one of these litters and is it the cream one seen on Countryfile?

Magyar Agar, I can name a few films with pure dogs but no field sports ones with the crosses other than the ones you've named.

Eg: kelpies in "Dusty" and "The Sundowners" and heelers in "Mad Max 2" and "Razorback."

Been a while since I watched it but I'm pretty sure I recall the three-legged dog in the film "Thunderheart" is a cattle dog -certainly had the ears and the attitude !

(This is a long one so get the kettle on!!)

Hi Neal, as with a lot of things in life, for every answer there's a question.

I have to say that I was under the impression that Mr Henson had imported a semen straw and bred the litter that produced the sire to our dogs. However, this may not be the case. Looking at the dates involved it seems perfectly reasonable to assume that he may have obtained a pup from one of the early AI litters bred in Scotland.

As I mentioned I googled Mr Henson and found the contact details to his farm so really it's just a case of e-mailing and waiting for a reply. Well, that's the easy bit, working out how to word an e-mail to a complete stranger asking questions about a dog he may or may not have bred a decade ago without sounding stupid and getting binned is the hard bit!! (Any ideas, relevant questions etc, PM if you'd prefer)

I know nothing of the bitch he used to breed our dogs sire, never thought to ask to be honest, didn't realize at the time that I'd get quite so into the ol' kelpie blood, so to speak!

One more question! I believe that my 3/4 kelpie collie bitch 'Gyp' was bred thus, Dam 'sky' was 1/2 collie kelpie her dam being working collie and her sire being 'Red' the Henson bred kelpie, 'Gyps' sire is also 'Red' who she is the spit of, just smaller. They bred this way in order to produce a replacement for Red, This they had achieved until I turned up and nagged Gyp away from them!!!

What I'm trying to ask in a long winded way is what are the pro's and cons of breeding a litter this closely? Any comments are welcome, I'll take no offence, just keen to learn as much as I can, can't think of a better place than here.

All the best, Finn.

Thompsons dog may i congratulate you on being a div of the highest order,read back through the 19 pages of this thread and look at the pics and how you can say the stupid remarks you've just put up about the shape and look of these dogs being no good and just bin rakers is well beond me.Mongrels they are(as are ALL lurchers)not your cup of tea(they'd not like you either)fair enough but mate,pants you say :doh: oh how little you know but to put it up for the world to see really is mmmmmmm :hmm: DUMB!.. :yes:

You must admit some of the pictures on this excellent topic are of dogs that are just too much hurding

dog and not enough running dog, they may well be great pets or work livestock but a lot couldnt catch a rabbit in my grannys old tin bath.

yes, speed isnt everything as a rabbiting dog but it needs some, it isnt as easy some folks seem to think it is.

Did anyone keep the blood going using diffrent cattle dog crosses , say 3/4 bred across a good half cross.

post-12550-126125274699_thumb.jpg

This ugly tin bath rabbit catcher and its litter brother and sister were responsible for catching 1000 plus rabbits a season, ferreted and lamped for 4-5 years.

The other black one in earlier photos is 9 next month and has worked every season ferreting and lamping, both first crosses, bred for working ability not looks, but horses for courses, one mans meat is another mans poisen, and all that, and eveyone is entitled to their opinion, even if its bollox. ha ha, yes it has run its course this topic, because the rubbish is starting.

just my opinion but dont like the look of any the dogs of that type breeding just look like mongrels that would run the streets and rake the bins from years ago no shape to them or anything not the best type to describe a lurcher thats for sure lets be honest here guys they look pants keep them to sheep and cattle aznd i no looks dont kill they do nothing for me mind just my opinion guys each to there own

You said it in your first line: it is just your opinion and not more.

And a lurcher is per definition a mongrel...

To all other guys in the thread keep the good work up!

Magyar Agar

Edited by MagyarAgar

Page 12(won't repeate the pics)that old bin licking tin bath catcher of mine who was only 10 months old when i lost her couldn't catch a cold but when it came to game :thumbs:.A runner can run faster than they look and i never saw her straight lined by anything ever.

Thompsons dog may i congratulate you on being a div of the highest order,read back through the 19 pages of this thread and look at the pics and how you can say the stupid remarks you've just put up about the shape and look of these dogs being no good and just bin rakers is well beond me.Mongrels they are(as are ALL lurchers)not your cup of tea(they'd not like you either)fair enough but mate,pants you say :doh: oh how little you know but to put it up for the world to see really is mmmmmmm :hmm: DUMB!.. :yes:

like i said just my opinion they are crap to look at wouldnt have one for free :no: thats why i said each to there own and just my opinion thats why the post on the page to agree or disagree with coments or pics ankle biters

:bye:

"THEY ARE CRAP TO LOOK AT" well that one statment , tells the rest of us on this site all we need to know about you. :yes:

like i said just my opinion they are crap to look at wouldnt have one for free :no: thats why i said each to there own and just my opinion thats why the post on the page to agree or disagree with coments or pics ankle biters

"THEY ARE CRAP TO LOOK AT" well that one statment , tells the rest of us on this site all we need to know about you. :yes:

IF THOMPSONS DOGS DONT FANCY THE SHAPE OF SUCH BRED DOGS HES ENTITLED 2 HIS OPINION LADS. I NEVER FANCIED THEM EITHER & I GAVE MY REASONS WHY ALSO. I OWNED REARED & COMPETED IN OBEDIENCE COMPETITIONS WITH MY BITCH PIP & CAME 3RD IN MY REGIONAL FINALS WHERE MANY PEOPLE WERE INTERESTED IN HER AS MANY PEOPLE WERE TAKEN 2 HER DEVOTION 2 ME. HOWEVER WHY DO U THINK THE ACD WAS NEVER POPULAR IN AGILITY CONTESTS IN THE UK LADS??? SAME REASON AS GERMAN SHEPARDS NEVER RULED THE ROOST IN AGILITY CONTESTS AS BOTH HAVENT THE AGILITY OF A BORDER COLLIE. SIMPLE HARD FACTS LADS. & PLEASE DONT GO DIGGING UP SOME EXCEPTIONS 2 WHAT I HAVE SAID.

your missing the point im making endgame, its not what a dog looks like that counts, its what it catches pure and simple.

and as for agilty and obediance comps, behave yaself, its catching game that counts, had a dog out with me last year , had wone chatsworth obediance, not worth a carrot :no: in the field

IF THOMPSONS DOGS DONT FANCY THE SHAPE OF SUCH BRED DOGS HES ENTITLED 2 HIS OPINION LADS. I NEVER FANCIED THEM EITHER & I GAVE MY REASONS WHY ALSO. I OWNED REARED & COMPETED IN OBEDIENCE COMPETITIONS WITH MY BITCH PIP & CAME 3RD IN MY REGIONAL FINALS WHERE MANY PEOPLE WERE INTERESTED IN HER AS MANY PEOPLE WERE TAKEN 2 HER DEVOTION 2 ME. HOWEVER WHY DO U THINK THE ACD WAS NEVER POPULAR IN AGILITY CONTESTS IN THE UK LADS??? SAME REASON AS GERMAN SHEPARDS NEVER RULED THE ROOST IN AGILITY CONTESTS AS BOTH HAVENT THE AGILITY OF A BORDER COLLIE. SIMPLE HARD FACTS LADS. & PLEASE DONT GO DIGGING UP SOME EXCEPTIONS 2 WHAT I HAVE SAID.

There are currently some VERY sucessful kelpies in agility. FACT