• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers mate shes 2nd generation cattle dog greyhound. Atb Adam 

Posted Images

im pretty much a novice and newbie to the cross and everything i was told and adviced about them is spot on,my own dogs are a first cross acd/greyhound bitch(2 1/2 yrs old) i stressfully bred my self and a 6 1/2 month kelpie greyhoudxcollie greyhound bred by kevin walker.

i dont know if iv lost my way rearing dogs or if its these dogs that knows how to rear me.haha.my bitch as been realy testing and only now at 2 1/2 started to look and act like a time served worker.(well to a degree :icon_redface: )

asme 9

how many decent dogs have there been from these breeds if use dont mind me asking as there looks to haved been few litters bred from this type in the past :icon_redface::hmm:

There has been more litters bred than people think, not on the scale of the usual crosses, I have had them since 93, there must have 5-6 litters locally, some of the offspring have gone down country and occasionally been bred from them.

There have been others bred as a one off, ACD are not the run of the mill lurchers and do not suit some people, not for people who arent tollerant or wish to persevere but believe me I think they are worth it and have had nothing else since 93, smitten yes, best lurchers maybe not but different and have qualities and personalty. I have not heard anyone say they turned out poor. All the best WR.

these all sounds like typical smart working dogs to me at least of the type I grew up with at least. I remember a hunt Brett and I went on about twenty klms from bretts on the other side of the sugarloaf range from were we live. we had had a great day and had accounted for several of the larger faster types we had to hunt back in those days as well as a pig, and were heading back towards the car on dark when 3 of the dogs took of the rest were already on leads. one of the dogs that went was Judy bretts red cattle bitch. over the next to hours my 2 droped out of the race and found their way back to us. But not Judy 4hrs later and still no sign of her. we did what we usually do and brett left his jacket on the ground where the car was parked and we made our way home as I had work the next day brett had arvo shift and he would pick her up next morning or so we thought. we searched for that dog for the next week brett in the mornings me in the afternoon. But to no avail then Brett arrived home from work the next saturday morning and theres Judy sitting on his front porch no worse for ware 20 klm from were we last saw her.

Edited by stevemac

Chalkwarren from your posts do I detect there may be a book on the way !!!

Hope so.

:clapper::thumbs:

is that bitch speckle ?

LADS 2 THOSE OF US IN THIS GAME 4 A WHILE(CERTANLY OLDER BUT I CANT PERSONALLY SAY IM WISER) ITS PRETTY OBVIOUS WHO CHALKWARREN IS, & I THINK WE SHOULD RESPECT THAT HE,S CHOSEN (AS A LOT OF US HAVE) 2 USE A PSEUDONAME.DONT THINK HE NEEDS ANY INTRODUCTIONS & NEITHER DOES HIS OLD BITCH/BUT YEAH CHALKWARREN I WOULD LIKE 2 SEE U BRING OUT A NEW BOOK AS OTHERS HAVE MENTIONED??? :clapper: /AS LONG AS U DONT CALL YOURSELF MARTIN SHAW :thumbdown: :thumbdown: I CAN PROMISE U AT LEAST 1 SALE HERE CHALKWARREN..YOURS. ENDGAME.

Im burnt out reading this,lol.Just before I head for work ech morn I take in some of the views/info/discussion,brilliant info and looking forward to more informative reading.Chalkie put me down for a book too :clapper:

Made me chuckle that write up Comanche,the acd dam of the pups i reared was a bit the same.She lived out and had the run of my garden being around my chooks and ferret court with no problem until the pups arrived,then she'd bite at the ferret court wire let them out and then find great plessure in joining in with them on a raid into my chook run :censored: .When the pups were up and about and put into a run she'd take it as her daily project to chew holes in the shed wall and let the pups out,not her she'd sit there like butter wouldn't melt almost saying "puppies eh :whistling: ",She had a sly streak with anything she did wrong to pass the blame onto the pups and if you caught her out of the window you'd see her looking to see if anyone was watching then cause kaos and almost push the pups out of the box to take the blame for it.A better mum i've never seen though and she'd not eat until the pups had,mind she'd leave nothing for later sort of thing.CW recon valium sales would go up if more were to own this type of dog and thats why they never will be for everyone but once you've made it through with one they do hold that little something over you,testers of your sanity at times :wallbash: but never dull days thats for sure.Again well done folks for a belter of a thread :clapper: .

That's it a sly streak . But not malicious -just sort of a built-in survival mentality as much part of the DNA as the big ears and ability to live on anything from tin foil to wild pigs it seems . Sort of saying to their owners ," Look I'll do anything you want me to. I'll work for you ,I'll turn somersaults ,sit and stay when you ask and come when you call but the trade-off is you must never ask me to completely give-up my wild out-back ways ".

I saw a recent article in which the ACD was listed as only number ten in the canine intelligence charts .I know that I only have experience of a single bitch but based on what I've read on this great thread and what I've experienced myself -albeit with a ACD cross not a full blooded dog- I can't help thinking the ACD should have scored higher .

I can only believe that it was'nt top because it lost marks for cheating!.

Either this fellow has a tiny piece of food stuck between his teeth or it's an Australian advert for NEW VALLIUM EXTRA! :thumbs:post-13773-126061635895_thumb.jpg

If that fella ever plucked up the courage to get down off his bunk bed then he should have been very proud of his pack !!

Just wondering what happened to his little brother in the bunk below, I have my suspicions !!!

Great thread this, keep up the good work all.

Finn.

Howdy all, I've got some kelpie blooded stuff bred down from a dog that Adam Henson bred. I was told by the bloke who bred my dogs that he imported a seamen straw from Australia, the resulting pups, the sire to our dogs would be about 11 now I think. I've lost touch with this chap and can't find out any further info on the blood that's in em.

What I'm wondering is, does anybody know how I would go about maybe getting in touch with Mr Henson and obtaining more info on our dogs.

Never really done any research of this nature before and don't really have a clue where to start.

Any ideas ???

Any help/advise would be great,

Many thanks, Finn.

A book with dedicated chapters or even whole book on Southern hemisphere bred lurchers long overdue,put an end to speculation Chalkwarren whats in the pipeline.

A BOOK BEFORE WE ALL JOIN THE COUNTRYFILE HIT LIST WILDROVER & ALL END UP TALKING ABOUT "them good oldE days" U WILL HAVE 2 EXCUSE MY PESSIMISTIC RANT,AS IVE JUST SPENT AN INTERESTING MORNING GETTING IT MADE WELL CLEAR THAT IM NO LONGER WELCOME ON CERTAIN FARMERS GROUND COS THE ESTATE HAVE SAID SO! MY TRUSTING CANINE ACCOMPLICE & PROVIDER HAS ATTRACTED UNWELCOME ATTENTION IT SEEMS?? WELL WHERE I GO SHE GOES IM AFRAID,SO THE GLOVES ARE OFF! AS THE SAYING GOES. CAN PEOPLE NO LONGER APPRECIATE A TRAINED CANINE PAL THESE DAYS? A BOOK WOULD BE WELCOME CHALKWARREN/ AM I ALONE IN GETTING WOUND UP AT THE COMEDY WHICH IS THE COUNTRYMANS WEEKLY?? GOD I MISS THE BLACK/WHITE SHOOTING NEWS WHEN U COULD ACTUALLY THINK THAT U WERE READING SOMETHING WORTHWHILE??(AT TIMES, LOL)

Chalkwarren from your posts do I detect there may be a book on the way !!!

Hope so.

:clapper::thumbs:

Great looking dogs Chalkwarren. When is the book out? I will have one, Im a fan of the cattle dog lurchers though I only have direct experience of my one, so it will be good to read more.

Great thread!

Finn, I'm pretty certain the dog you're referring to is Cottonwood Matt. If it's any interest, a UK kelpie stud is importing a bitch in utero next year with pups sired by his grandson. I can give you some more information if you need it. :thumbs: