• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers mate shes 2nd generation cattle dog greyhound. Atb Adam 

Posted Images

I bought a kelpie/collie x greyhound from Dave Sleight around eleven years ago and he was the best lurcher I've ever had. I liked him so much I bought a pure kelpie eighteen months later. I know have three kelpies aged nine, five and a pup too which I use for ferreting and general mooching and bushing. They're not everybodies cup of tea and you shouldn't get one if you expect it to be just like a collie cross but I'd never be without one now. :toast:

These are my two Kelpie /greyhound first crosses.

This is the big lad

IMG_0203Small.jpg

IMG_0109Small.jpg

This is the bitch pup that I bred last year

8months1044.jpg

8months1031.jpg

I own a pure Kelpie bitch which is what I used to breed the litter last year, I have found this cross to suit me very well.

All the best

Mike

nice looking dogs you got there mike. whats the stamina like compared to a first cross greyhound border or beardie collie.
the man who is mentioned D.S is an old mate of mine last time i spoke to him 3 years ago after not seeing him for 10 years he said these kellpi crosses had better feet and stamina than collie/greyhounds but wer a lot more headstrong

I have a acd x and is only a pup at the moment but i'm very happy with her,at 5 months she is a very quick learner and allways has been.Retrieving from a early age and breaking to ferrets took no time at all,the only problem(if you want to call it that)is her protective guarding instinct with is strong but no way uncontrolable.I'd never be sneeked up on in the dark for sure if i was ever where i shouldn't be,catterpillar on here has her litter brother and is also very pleased with his pup.Mike you have some fine looking dogs for sure,a credit to you like the look of your plummer as well.jdtag the feet on the pups i know have the best feet i've ever seen on any sort of running dogs,a trait that was bred for when producing the litter and my pup will keep up with the rest of the dogs i mooch with and has not wained once.Also a nut for water almost obsessed with it and can't pass even a puddle without having a splash about,so for me so far i'm more than happy with my acd x as are many others on here with there's.

My dog's have excellent stamina, they will work all day if required, obviuosly the pup hasn't been pushed that hard yet but she is showing great potential. They do have a very good guarding instinct and the big lad has warned me quite a few times when we have ventured off the footpath so to speak ;) he has also protected me once when approached in the dark. What I have found is that even though he is a very steady and calm dog he can "up the game "when needed ;) .

Thanks for the compliment Fireman it's funny that about the water mine are the same love the stuff, but the pure Kelpie bitch I have doesn't like water at all :blink: the terrier is more russel than plummer she has a dash of plummer blood in her but looks exactly like one :blink: she is only 11 months old but has caught 9 rabbits to date and is working really well above ground, see what she is made of next season under the soil too.

Thanks

Mike

I have a australian shepherd/greyhound first cross I bred myself. I have ran him for 9 seasons just retired him this spring. he has the toughest feet i have ever seen, rarely lame and never broke a nail. Took hares this eason at 9yrs old i think that says it all! Bred him to my Tazi/hancock x should have pups at the end of the month. I hope they turn out like him he has been a solid reliable dog. Heres a pic

dogpics014.jpg

all the best dirtwinger

My dog's have excellent stamina, they will work all day if required, obviuosly the pup hasn't been pushed that hard yet but she is showing great potential. They do have a very good guarding instinct and the big lad has warned me quite a few times when we have ventured off the footpath so to speak ;) he has also protected me once when approached in the dark. What I have found is that even though he is a very steady and calm dog he can "up the game "when needed ;) .

Thanks for the compliment Fireman it's funny that about the water mine are the same love the stuff, but the pure Kelpie bitch I have doesn't like water at all :blink: the terrier is more russel than plummer she has a dash of plummer blood in her but looks exactly like one :blink: she is only 11 months old but has caught 9 rabbits to date and is working really well above ground, see what she is made of next season under the soil too.

Thanks

Mike

My half cross cattle dog has great feet, never injured, maybe partly because since the other half was a small lurcher rather than a greyhound, she is not that fast! :D .

Your dogs look great Mike, I didnt know a guarding instinct was strong in the Kelpie cross, it is a very useful quality handled right. My A.C.D. cross is quite protective but also friendly when it is not required.

We have a 3/4 Whippet 1/4 Kelpie, only 24 weeks old at the moment so hasn't really done anything yet workwise, other than a bit of ratting. She goes out mooching about with the others and is showing great promise.

Few pics of her

DSCF9520.jpg

DSCF9571.jpg

2009_0306Whitby0185.jpg

Kes18weekcloseup.jpg

Like someone else said, she is extremely headstrong, not for a novice lurcher owner! She's my third lurcher, first one was mega hard work for the first year, second one we don't know we've got. But Kes is just manic. She is extremely agile, and can turn on a pin head mid air. She's like one of those kids toys that you wind up and when you let it go it's off... that's Kes.

Extremely loyal though, biddable and trainable... but everythings got to be on her terms and it's got to be her idea!

Oh, she's got fantastic feet!

Shell

My pure kelpies have great stamina and amazing feet. Like Mike, I found that my lurcher was mad for water but the pure kelpies aren't too fussed with it, though they soon change their mind if it's a sodden ditch with rabbits to be marked. I've heard of lots of kelpies who do like water though.

As for the guarding instinct etc, my male was very much a one man dog until he was about three or four years old which is when I met my wife. He's now very outgoing and friendly but won't back down when challenged by other dogs. He has a particular thing for Rottweilers which sounds suicidal as he's not too tall but his confidence and presence usually makes them back down. Conversely, the bitch was a friendly pup but now keeps well away from other people and dogs. I'm not sure about the pup yet as she's only nineteen months old and I find kelpies take about three years to mature mentally.

Mine don't take a huge amount of game as I don't lamp so everything is taken by day and they're not the fastest dogs on the planet. However, I do find that although they are easily outpaced by a rabbit in the open, they are much better than my previous lurchers in cover. The pup has caught a few pigeons too and caught her first rabbit at the start of this last season, c. fifteen months old.

The average kelpie is more of a "that's ok, just leave me alone, I can do it myself," kind of dog than the average collie and, to a certain extent, they tend to work with you rather than for you. You have to accept their idiosyncrasies and work with, or around, them instead of trying to instill blind obedience.

I read a great thread on an Australian dog forum a while back about the differences between kelpies and collies and one post said about a bloke who arrived back from work in the pouring rain with his collie in the Ute and went indoors. A while later he was asked where the collie was and his reply was something along the lines of, "Oh Christ I forgot to tell him to come in!" I hasten to add that I'm not trying to criticise collies as I'm personally a big fan of them. It's simply that they are different and their differences suit me, a lot of people feel the opposite.