A FEW FACTS ABOUT WORMERS

What are you feeding the pup? The best food for pups is meat and bone with a bit of veg: if you are feeding a cereal based (more cereals than meat) food then too much food will give a lot of pups the shits as a dog's digestive system isn't designed to cope with a lot of cereal: wheat etc.

Some dogs are almost allergic to cereals, plus the fact that you have to feed twice as much of a cereal based food to give the dog the nutrients it needs, means that a pup won't put on weight or grow properly.

As for any wormer bought over the counter: they simply aren't man enough to do the job properly. Even if you don't see sign of worms it doesn't mean to say the dog doesn't have them. Once a pup is past the 8-10 week mark even a wormy pup won't have a pot belly.

Worm it with Milbemax or Drontal Plus and change the diet to a meat based diet.

i have him on butchers puppy and hes fed 4 times a day i think il go for the drontal plus cheers skycat

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I would put up some information about worming puppies. Please don't think I'm trying to be a know all or preaching: but it is obvious from some of the photos of pups for sale on here that t

I know Drontal has its limitations: Milbemax does just about every kind of worm, but you can only get it from the vet unless you have the right contacts. You can buy Drontal over the net with no prob

-

Posted Images

Cant see past drontal plus used it when i got my bullx bitch as she came from a kennel and she was hoaching with them done the dogs with this stuff and an hour or so later i had nothing from other dogs but plenty from her.

I know Drontal has its limitations: Milbemax does just about every kind of worm, but you can only get it from the vet unless you have the right contacts. :whistling: You can buy Drontal over the net with no problem and I've never known it upset even a tiny pup's stomach, unlike Lopatol, for example, which makes some dogs throw up.

As Milbemax is Australian it caters for the worms we don't see too often in the UK:( heart and lung worm for example. ) as well as ordinary tape worm etc. I'll be getting that the next time I do a general worming of all the adult dogs just to be on the safe side.

Edited to add: the pups in the pics were between 5 and 6 weeks old at the time.

Unfortunately plenty of heart worm in this country especially in some areas i go for milbemax everytime and as for shop bought wormers they dont have the same active ingredients so dont do much at all!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

thank you for your information most helpful

I've used drontal plus before,however i was in pets at home and bought a new puppy wormer made by bob martin,treats roundworm tape worm and hookworm,the drug is called nitroscanate,has anyone used this type of wormer before and to good effect.

• Like 1

I've never bought wormers from pet shops and haven't looked at the ingredients for many years, but if my memory serves me well there is much less of the active ingredient than in 'prescription wormers', though of course you can now buy Drontal Plus on the internet without a prescription.

I've never bought wormers from pet shops and haven't looked at the ingredients for many years, but if my memory serves me well there is much less of the active ingredient than in 'prescription wormers', though of course you can now buy Drontal Plus on the internet without a prescription.

OK skycat thanks for the reply ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I thought I would put up some information about worming puppies. Please don't think I'm trying to be a know all or preaching: but it is obvious from some of the photos of pups for sale on here that the puppies are carrying a pretty big round worm burden.

Puppies of 6 - 9 weeks, if not wormed properly (with the correct dosage or type of wormer) will be well stuffed with worms at this age. ALL puppies have worms, no matter how careful you are and how well you wormed the bitch. The roundworm cysts which are found in EVERY dog alive, become active when the bitch is pregnant and the larvae migrate from her body into the puppies even before they are born.

You won't see any sign of a puppy having worms until about 3-4 weeks of age, but once they start on solids its all systems go for the worms and they start to grow and thrive.

Typical appearance of a puppy carrying more than a couple of roundworms is the distended belly: which makes the little legs look skinny. A slighly bulgy eyed look is also one of the main signs that a pup has worms. Couple this with a scrawny looking neck, over large appearance to the head (no matter what breed of dog we are talking about) and in severe cases a failure to grow at a decent rate.........and you can be pretty sure that this pup has a lot of roundworms.

If left untreated, or not treated correctly, these will stunt a pup's growth and in really severe cases cause damage to the gut lining resulting in really bad chronic diarrhoea, sometimes bloody stools, and leave the pup wide open to infection such as bad stomach bugs which may even appear to have parvo like symptoms which in turn can lead to dehydration and death.

There is no excuse in this day and age not to worm pups properly. Most people use Panacur, but how many people know that one dose of Panacur does sweet f*ck all to a worm? The reccomended treatment for tiny pups is a daily dose for 3 days. And this needs to be done every 3 weeks from 3 weeks of age for the first 3 months of life.

Here's a fact sheet about Panacur: read the data sheet.

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Panacur-10-100m...ductinfo/PANL1/

Personally I prefer to use something like Drontal Plus. I weigh each pup in a litter then cut up the tablet, dividing it as many times as is necessary depending on the weight of the pup. For example: if the whole tablet does 10kilos of adult dog, then I might have to divide that one tablet into 6ths for a puppy.

Quick tale: I once took on a pup was in a very poor state: half the size of its litter mates and with all the classic signs of a heavy roundworm burden. At the time I had been given some Panacur: so duly gave the pup the 3 day treatment as reccomended by the manufacturers. Pup still looked awful, so a week later I gave her a quarter of a Drontal Plus: within 4 hours she had shat a writhing spaghetti like tangle of mature round worms!! And for the first time ate normally and started to grow properly!

This tale doesn't have a happy ending as the round worm had so severley damaged her gut that she died at the age of 9 weeks at the vet, having contracted a nasty stomach bug which appeared very similar to the symptoms of Parvo. She was on a drip etc etc, but they couldn't save her as her innards were in too bad a state to recover from the effects of both bug and worms.

This happened quite a few years ago, but I'll always remember this pup as she had the most fantastic temperament and character: I'm still angry and sad that no one could save her.

Had she been properly wormed (and fed) from the start she could have made a good dog.

Now, most wormy pups I see are nowhere near as bad as this pup was, but chronic diarrhoea can and does affect the health of a dog, let alone a more fragile pup, so we owe it to them to worm them correctly and by using the right wormers.

You can use Drontal Plus on very small pups (3 weeks of age) with no side effects at all: so why go to all the bother of forcing a paste down their throats if it doesn't work as well?

The pics I've included in this saga are how a puppy SHOULD look: rounded all over, sturdy legs (even Whippet pups should have sturdy legs at this age), slightly too much skin for its body and a general air of well being. No sign of a bloated belly and you definitely cannot see the ribs at all and the belly isn't sticking out as though the pup has swallowed a football!

Once again, I don't mean to preach or offend anyone and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular: I'm still learning all sorts of things about dog care and I've kept, bred and worked them most of my life and if I can point out one or two tips and hints then that's all I'm trying to do.

Edited on September23rd '09

Just to add: the round worm life cycle is a 3 week cycle so it is important to worm pups every 3 weeks for at least the first 3 months of their lives. Thereafter I worm my dogs every 6 months unless I see signs of tape worm segments in the dogs' faeces or round their anus. Eating raw fresh rabbit, especially the guts, is the quickest way for a dog to pick up tapeworm. Freeze rabbits for 3 weeks before feeding to kill any worms and egg cysts.

oh my god just go to asda and get some puppy liquid wormer and follow the instructions - its that simple my last litter of nine terrier pups were all in fine fettle ........

• Sad 1
I thought I would put up some information about worming puppies. Please don't think I'm trying to be a know all or preaching: but it is obvious from some of the photos of pups for sale on here that the puppies are carrying a pretty big round worm burden.

Puppies of 6 - 9 weeks, if not wormed properly (with the correct dosage or type of wormer) will be well stuffed with worms at this age. ALL puppies have worms, no matter how careful you are and how well you wormed the bitch. The roundworm cysts which are found in EVERY dog alive, become active when the bitch is pregnant and the larvae migrate from her body into the puppies even before they are born.

You won't see any sign of a puppy having worms until about 3-4 weeks of age, but once they start on solids its all systems go for the worms and they start to grow and thrive.

Typical appearance of a puppy carrying more than a couple of roundworms is the distended belly: which makes the little legs look skinny. A slighly bulgy eyed look is also one of the main signs that a pup has worms. Couple this with a scrawny looking neck, over large appearance to the head (no matter what breed of dog we are talking about) and in severe cases a failure to grow at a decent rate.........and you can be pretty sure that this pup has a lot of roundworms.

If left untreated, or not treated correctly, these will stunt a pup's growth and in really severe cases cause damage to the gut lining resulting in really bad chronic diarrhoea, sometimes bloody stools, and leave the pup wide open to infection such as bad stomach bugs which may even appear to have parvo like symptoms which in turn can lead to dehydration and death.

There is no excuse in this day and age not to worm pups properly. Most people use Panacur, but how many people know that one dose of Panacur does sweet f*ck all to a worm? The reccomended treatment for tiny pups is a daily dose for 3 days. And this needs to be done every 3 weeks from 3 weeks of age for the first 3 months of life.

Here's a fact sheet about Panacur: read the data sheet.

http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Panacur-10-100m...ductinfo/PANL1/

Personally I prefer to use something like Drontal Plus. I weigh each pup in a litter then cut up the tablet, dividing it as many times as is necessary depending on the weight of the pup. For example: if the whole tablet does 10kilos of adult dog, then I might have to divide that one tablet into 6ths for a puppy.

Quick tale: I once took on a pup was in a very poor state: half the size of its litter mates and with all the classic signs of a heavy roundworm burden. At the time I had been given some Panacur: so duly gave the pup the 3 day treatment as reccomended by the manufacturers. Pup still looked awful, so a week later I gave her a quarter of a Drontal Plus: within 4 hours she had shat a writhing spaghetti like tangle of mature round worms!! And for the first time ate normally and started to grow properly!

This tale doesn't have a happy ending as the round worm had so severley damaged her gut that she died at the age of 9 weeks at the vet, having contracted a nasty stomach bug which appeared very similar to the symptoms of Parvo. She was on a drip etc etc, but they couldn't save her as her innards were in too bad a state to recover from the effects of both bug and worms.

This happened quite a few years ago, but I'll always remember this pup as she had the most fantastic temperament and character: I'm still angry and sad that no one could save her.

Had she been properly wormed (and fed) from the start she could have made a good dog.

Now, most wormy pups I see are nowhere near as bad as this pup was, but chronic diarrhoea can and does affect the health of a dog, let alone a more fragile pup, so we owe it to them to worm them correctly and by using the right wormers.

You can use Drontal Plus on very small pups (3 weeks of age) with no side effects at all: so why go to all the bother of forcing a paste down their throats if it doesn't work as well?

The pics I've included in this saga are how a puppy SHOULD look: rounded all over, sturdy legs (even Whippet pups should have sturdy legs at this age), slightly too much skin for its body and a general air of well being. No sign of a bloated belly and you definitely cannot see the ribs at all and the belly isn't sticking out as though the pup has swallowed a football!

Once again, I don't mean to preach or offend anyone and this isn't aimed at anyone in particular: I'm still learning all sorts of things about dog care and I've kept, bred and worked them most of my life and if I can point out one or two tips and hints then that's all I'm trying to do.

Edited on September23rd '09

Just to add: the round worm life cycle is a 3 week cycle so it is important to worm pups every 3 weeks for at least the first 3 months of their lives. Thereafter I worm my dogs every 6 months unless I see signs of tape worm segments in the dogs' faeces or round their anus. Eating raw fresh rabbit, especially the guts, is the quickest way for a dog to pick up tapeworm. Freeze rabbits for 3 weeks before feeding to kill any worms and egg cysts.

oh my god just go to asda and get some puppy liquid wormer and follow the instructions - its that simple my last litter of nine terrier pups were all in fine fettle ........

johnsons syrup and all those types are sh*te. i've used them before but never again.only use drontal plus and occasionaly panacur for adults and drontal suspension for pups now.get them online and they're as cheap(if not cheaper)than the petshop/supermarket sh*te. :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Cracking pups - a credit to you! I breed borders and I worm the bitch with

milbemax about three weeks before she whelps. That reduces the worm burden

of the newborns, which is important if you have a bitch from a less than

scrupulous background. The hormones of pregnancy awaken dormant worms which then

migrate to the unborn pups. Some bitches I've had as rescues have so many

dormant worms that you have to do this repeatedly, and after whelping at the

same time interval as the pups, as the normal worming routine doesn't get the

dormant ones. Only worm a pregnant bitch with milbemax though - not drontal.

i have a 12 week old lab pup and have wormed him with johnsons puppy worming syryp but still no sign of any worms he does not have pot belly but his back end looks a little thin i cant up his food anymore as it gives him the shits any advice would be greatly appreciated forgot to add i have been worming him every fortnight

my 4 pups are the same age and the same with them have them on greyhound puppy mince and have wormed them out a few times now 1st time was around 5 weeks and the worms flew out with in a hour or so was told the where milk worms for my bitch they have been wormed out a few times after but cant get the weight on the back doing my head in.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a 12 week old lab pup and have wormed him with johnsons puppy worming syryp but still no sign of any worms he does not have pot belly but his back end looks a little thin i cant up his food anymore as it gives him the shits any advice would be greatly appreciated forgot to add i have been worming him every fortnight

my 4 pups are the same age and the same with them have them on greyhound puppy mince and have wormed them out a few times now 1st time was around 5 weeks and the worms flew out with in a hour or so was told the where milk worms for my bitch they have been wormed out a few times after but cant get the weight on the back doing my head in.

hi fellas i can recomend drontal ,i wormed my whippet pup with panacure 2 or 3 weeks ago and this week pup was biting his backside then my daughter took the pup outside to clean himself and she saw worms in his poo ,got some drontal and i have never seen so many worms thankfully all dead, from now on drontal for me,cheers shaun.