Cornish/Indian Game temperament

i have some eggs under a hen due off this week, at what age would you kill to eat, and what food to fatten them just growers or something else?

I kill them at about 20-24 weeks, they are slow to finish though they really fill out in the last few weeks. They make big birds in the end with meat everywhere, huge breasts and loads on the legs and thighs too, much more than a supermarket job, and I think the extra time adds something to the flavour. You would definatly be eating a modern meat hybrid like a ross cob much sooner, probably 12 weeks or so depending on how big you want them. Consider getting a few of those now too and when youve eaten your way through them your Indians will probably be ready.

I feed mine growers to about 18 weeks then rolled wheat as much as they want till their ready to kill, if you restrict their range they will fatten quicker.

Good luck,

Rich

Once you done your first youll move on to turkeys but dont get carried away

139.jpg

cheers for that, first time i have reared birds for meat, what do i worm them with and where will i get cobbs?

vermix liquid or tablet... poultry auction may be best bet for chicks up here i get them day olds 1.00 each.. expect to pay up to 4 quid from 4 weeks chicks from supplier who does me grain

I keep jubilee and dark indians and free range several cocks together in the summer, they will fight at first but they soon sort out a pecking order.

They are penned in breeding groups at the mo and one of my cocks got into the neighbouring pen yesterday, I didn't find out till the evening and apart from a couple of bloody combs and some broken feathers they were fine. The chicks can be quite game compared to some and I rear them under a red light as it cuts down on the pecking, best things a broody hen though. Brilliant table birds but a bit slow to finish.

Rich

I've seen a lot of photos of Indian game flocks online and compared to other breeds there seems to be a lot of people who keep 2 or more cocks together without too much trouble, although I've heard that Indian cocks usually get the better of cocks of other breeds when kept in the same flock.