Do you really save money reloading?

Hi all, I'm just wonderin' here do all you reloaders actually save any money reloading or is it just to get maiximum accuracy? I would have thought that if you shoot something common like a .308/.243/.223 etc then the saving wouldn't be that great but if you were shooting sth like 7x57/8x57/.338 federal/.300WM or any of the WSM calibers etc then the saving would be greater because of the more expensive ammo?

What are your experiences?

Cheers :D

Yes you save money..I'm new to reloading, but cn allready see the benefits

But you also have the advantage of added accuracy.

I'll set you an example.

Sako .243 90gr ammo. £23/20 or £115/00

If yo shoot fed prems 100gr £30/20 or £150/100

Home loads

Hornady 87Gr BTHP £25/100

Large rifle primers £3/100

Vita Vhouri N140 £60Kg- should be good for 300+ rounds

So approx £48/100

But hs is all top notch gear, you could buy cheaper.

aah cheers all, Also how long does it take you to say reload 20 rounds at a time and do most of you use a single stage or progressive press?

Cheers!

I dont have a press of my own, I have my own dies as my mate reloads .223 and 308.

I took the ultra cheap method. :doh:

It does take a while and can be quite monotonous...but as we speak he is de-priming, cleaning and neck sizing a few for me...he gets more pleasure from from it than me.. :angel:

In my opinion its not a quick job, but as I get more experienced with it..i am sure I will become more efficient.

Edited to add...he has a single stage press.

I use a single stage press. I tend to leave the press set up with the neck sizing die and when I get in from a session, deprime, size, prep and prime the brass and stick it in a box. When I have a few (20+ cases) ready to go, I do a session at reloading them all at once. Makes it a fair bit quicker and preping cases is boring, so I'd rather do them as I fire them, ie, a few at a time.

I shoot .243 and .22 hornet, and yes it is a fair bit cheaper once you have a load that suits your rifle.

James

its not just about the money its about have more accurate ammo mate

aye but a friend shoots 7x57 federal premium nosler partitions, @ £40 for a box of 20! £2 a pop!!!!! bet that hurts when he buys ammo oooh :(

but yes it does allow you to tailor a couple of loads to you rifle, like fox & deer loads... also handy if you shoot exotic or hard to find calibers.... your rifle can never be too accurate :)

Reloading... Hmmm... well, I've loaded several hundred rounds now so still quite new, but...

Yes, you save money on cost per bang. In fact, you save a fortune. But, you fire off more ammo, so you can get it *just* right. However, I've trounced the very best factory loads in all of my rifles, and I've not been trying for very long.

You get massively improved accuracy AND you save money, so it's well worth doing.

BUT if you shoot in high volume, prepare to lose your spare time!

SPS tactical load, blimey!

Well, it likes almost everything! Thus far I have had the best success with a 69gr Lapua Scenar on top of 23.5gr AA2230, CCI 400 primer, FC brass. Shoots between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch at 100.

It also likes the load I use in my CZ 223, which is 50gr Vmax, on top of 25.4gr AA2460, CCI 400, Prvi brass.

But it shoots < 1 inch with all the homeloads I made, except possibly the 55gr FMJ load, but that's around the inch mark.

Very happy with that rifle!

SPS tactical load, blimey!

Well, it likes almost everything! Thus far I have had the best success with a 69gr Lapua Scenar on top of 23.5gr AA2230, CCI 400 primer, FC brass. Shoots between 1/4 and 1/2 an inch at 100.

It also likes the load I use in my CZ 223, which is 50gr Vmax, on top of 25.4gr AA2460, CCI 400, Prvi brass.

But it shoots < 1 inch with all the homeloads I made, except possibly the 55gr FMJ load, but that's around the inch mark.

Very happy with that rifle!

thank you for that info 'Mr_Logic same here Very happy with that rifle

W.D

There are some cheap and some innexpensive .223, .243 and .308 etc, factory rounds available and some are perfectly adequate for many applications, and some do work out cheaper than reloading.

Nevertheless, the vast majority of reloaded ammo will be cheaper than factory and better. So if you have the space and inclination reloading is well worth while for many people with financial and quality benefits!!!

...and you get to talk to lots of great people who have the same anorak and notebook as you!! :whistling::whistling::laugh::laugh::thumbs: