Sporting clays

try full and full then it will make you a better shot as you get a tight long shot string

Depends on a combination of 3 things. 1 distance, 2 going away or incoming, 3 edge on or face. Other things being equal for going away and rising slightly I choke up a bit as the clay is more difficult to break. Close in Skeet or cylinder further out choke. My guideline is up to 30yds skeet,35yds 1/4,40yds 1/2,45yds 3/4 over 45m full. I use 7.5 size shot over 40 yds and 8s under. 9s if under 30 yds.

all you need is 1/4, 1/4 for most birds i just change my cartridge wiegth for long distances i use a 28g 7.5 for long stuff and 24g 7.5 for the rest of the stuff the only time i will change choke is if the clay is edge on at a fair distance.

you'll stuggle to find something that a 24gram cartridge cant break. in the Olympic disciplines you are only allowed to use 24 grams

Oh no not another one of these :no:

I really think people get too concerned with chokes, which is fueled by having multi chokes and the ability to change them, I shoot 1/4 and 1/2 in my s/s- works fine. the other day I shot with 1/4 choke in a friends semi and scored 22 ex 25 at skeet and 29 ex 50 at sporting,- really good for me. Now, some people would be changing chokes at each stand, to get the best pattern etc etc etc, but as long as when you pull the trigger, the gun goes bang and the pellets fly out the end, if you stick with a fairly open choke say 1/4 or half if as somebody else said they're edge on at a distance, then I really don't think you can go far wrong, the same goes for live game shooting, (unless you're shooting really high pigeons or pheasants) and also changing cartridges??? piffle, so long as No 8s 28g work fine for everything, no 6s 30g for live quarry IMHO if you worry too much about changing this that and the other you lose track of what shooting is meant to be .....FUN! on Sunday I was watching a clay shot who obviously took things really seriously, and when he missed a bird, he got the hump! what is the point of shooting if you don't enjoy it?

Well, there's my probably too long opinion/rant so you pays yer money and yer takes yer choice!

Cheers

Edited by danebrewer10
Oh no not another one of these :no:

I really think people get too concerned with chokes, which is fueled by having multi chokes and the ability to change them, I shoot 1/4 and 1/2 in my s/s- works fine. the other day I shot with 1/4 choke in a friends semi and scored 22 ex 25 at skeet and 29 ex 50 at sporting,- really good for me. Now, some people would be changing chokes at each stand, to get the best pattern etc etc etc, but as long as when you pull the trigger, the gun goes bang and the pellets fly out the end, if you stick with a fairly open choke say 1/4 or half if as somebody else said they're edge on at a distance, then I really don't think you can go far wrong, the same goes for live game shooting, (unless you're shooting really high pigeons or pheasants) and also changing cartridges??? piffle, so long as No 8s 28g work fine for everything, no 6s 30g for live quarry IMHO if you worry too much about changing this that and the other you lose track of what shooting is meant to be .....FUN! on Sunday I was watching a clay shot who obviously took things really seriously, and when he missed a bird, he got the hump! what is the point of shooting if you don't enjoy it?

Well, there's my probably too long opinion/rant so you pays yer money and yer takes yer choice!

Cheers

some people have to take it very seriously as it is there job, for the lucky few who are on World class

I mainly agree withdanebrewer10.

It is confidence and how you feel on the day, if you turn up in a bad mood or tense you will normaly shoot crap.

If you turn up and think I am gona enjoy this whatever I shoot, you will shoot better in my experience.

I shoot with an old Baikal skeet and skeet and its done me ok for the last 30 odd years, clay pigeon, pheasants, rabbits, woodpigeon,- stuff the chokes.

It is confidence and how you feel on the day, if you turn up in a bad mood or tense you will normaly shoot crap.

If you turn up and think I am gona enjoy this whatever I shoot, you will shoot better in my experience.

I shoot with an old Baikal skeet and skeet and its done me ok for the last 30 odd years, clay pigeon, pheasants, rabbits, woodpigeon,- stuff the chokes.

The majority of trap shooters DTL use 3/4 first barrel full second - that discipline requires a kill on the first shot 99 out of 100 to be in the running. The Target is edge on going away so a concentrated pattern is required. I do not know of any consistent competition winners using skeet and skeet or light chokes. Some sporting targets are at greater distances than DTL so why not learn from the experts who have from experience found the right chokes to use.

The majority of trap shooters DTL use 3/4 first barrel full second - that discipline requires a kill on the first shot 99 out of 100 to be in the running. The Target is edge on going away so a concentrated pattern is required. I do not know of any consistent competition winners using skeet and skeet or light chokes. Some sporting targets are at greater distances than DTL so why not learn from the experts who have from experience found the right chokes to use.

Sporting clays, choke size, whats your choice

This is the topic and that is my choice there is no need to be sarcastic.

It was not my intention to ruffle feathers on this topic. The default quote when replying has contributed to this. My replies were directed to the original poster who asked :

"i use 1/4 and 1/2 mainly , but somtimes 1/4 and 1/4 and wondered if anyone had any preference or suggestions.

thanks in advance

sean "

Suggestions implies wanting to learn/improve .

Sporting Clay layouts do differ considerably. I have seen local league layouts where skeet is all that is needed. County qualifier layouts are more difficult and a greater proportion of targets are at a longer range requiring some choke. As mentioned by others the experts use heavy choke mainly because of the longer distances when the target would pass through a skeet pattern about half the time leading to lower scores- not because of missing just a pattern with holes in it.