Should DSC1 be manditory  

412 members have voted

1. 1. Should DSC1 be manditory for professional deer stalkers

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should DSC1 be mandatory for the stalkers who shoot recreationally for thier own consumption and not for financial gain

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you think that having these qualifications will make you a better stalker

• Yes
    • No

Well just passed the level one...

How did I find it? Studied on and off for 2 weeks, and sat it with 5 others + a re-sit. 2 failed, and the resit passed it.

Shooting bit I found easy, safety easy, scored 100% on written papers, and also got all the deer recognition pics right - although there were a four stinkers (Sika/Fallow does - and weird picture of a Red Stag)

Would I recommend it - certainly, because I learned a lot, but I still think its a rip-off ! (£250 in total for one day, and £140 of that went to BASC !)

As an aside, both the trainer and independant assessor, informed us that Strathclyde Police, have now made DSC level 1 mandatory for 1st applications for a FAC. Scottish Woodland & Tilhill, now insist on DSC Level 1(from April 2010) and the Forestry Commission, will no longer lease ground unless you have DSC Level 2 !

Whether you agree with this or not, it looks like its going to become mandatory.

When you say mandatory for an FAC, I take it you mean for deer stalking, not just generally? They cannot just arbitrarily decide on DSC for everything else!

Sorry - its for everything, that is if you apply for a FAC for deer, vermin control etc and are using a large calibre rifle, then they wont issue it unless you have level 1. Cant comment on target shooting, etc.

Just passing on what the assessors told me

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, he has to work under the parameters of the law surely.......IF DSC is not a legal stipulation then it's not a legal stipulation.

I'm not convinced a DSC is of any great relevance!!   I suggest a shooting test (accuracy) and safety knowledge should be explored!!   Many people have a .243 or bigger and quite legitimately take

The problem i have with DSC1 and the whole FAC thing is that there are a lot of us that have many years of experience with firearms and shotguns have been forced to take this qualification . When i d

dsc dmq call it what you like, might be good for some, but the way you put it over will put more folk of doing it as you seem like a nob.

your certainly no stalker.

Reading this boast of guns, (see above)& pigeon watch site non-knowledgeable replies. I would say this kid has no idea, other than , getting into a good argument , with his level, of know all , not creditable remarks.

How did I find it? Studied on and off for 2 weeks, and sat it with 5 others + a re-sit. 2 failed, and the resit passed it.

Shooting bit I found easy, safety easy, scored 100% on written papers, and also got all the deer recognition pics right - although there were a four stinkers (Sika/Fallow does - and weird picture of a Red Stag)

Would I recommend it - certainly, because I learned a lot, but I still think its a rip-off ! (£250 in total for one day, and £140 of that went to BASC !)

As an aside, both the trainer and independant assessor, informed us that Strathclyde Police, have now made DSC level 1 mandatory for 1st applications for a FAC. Scottish Woodland & Tilhill, now insist on DSC Level 1(from April 2010) and the Forestry Commission, will no longer lease ground unless you have DSC Level 2 !

Whether you agree with this or not, it looks like its going to become mandatory.

When you say mandatory for an FAC, I take it you mean for deer stalking, not just generally? They cannot just arbitrarily decide on DSC for everything else!

Sorry - its for everything, that is if you apply for a FAC for deer, vermin control etc and are using a large calibre rifle, then they wont issue it unless you have level 1. Cant comment on target shooting, etc.

What a load of codswallop the assessor is going to say that so you pass it on to people who are ignorant of the facts lol Its not mandatory to have your DSC1 prior to being issued a Deer calibre rifle on a FAC licence but many Police forces in England will insist on you sitting it under their conditions.

I know of no Forces in Scotland that are insisting.

The DSC1 and 2 were good for me but many of my friends thought they were a rip off.

What a load of codswallop the assessor is going to say that so you pass it on to people who are ignorant of the facts lol Its not mandatory to have your DSC1 prior to being issued a Deer calibre rifle on a FAC licence but many Police forces in England will insist on you sitting it under their conditions.

The DSC1 and 2 were good for me but many of my friends thought they were a rip off.

Then phone Pitt Street (Strathclyde Firearms Licensing Branch) - I called and had it confirmed that firearms licensing now expect you to have a DSC level 1, for firearm applications for deer stalking. Their stock answer is it isn't mandatory, but anyone applying for a firearms license for deer stalking, will be expected to have it - end off !

Sorry, you obviously don't like the news, and TBH neither do I, but before you rubbish this, I suggest you check for yourself....

Then phone Pitt Street (Strathclyde Firearms Licensing Branch) - I called and had it confirmed that firearms licensing now expect you to have a DSC level 1, for firearm applications for deer stalking. Their stock answer is it isn't mandatory, but anyone applying for a firearms license for deer stalking, will be expected to have it - end off !

Sorry, you obviously don't like the news, and TBH neither do I, but before you rubbish this, I suggest you check for yourself....

I am a full member of the Scottish Gamekeepers Association and I know its not mandatory and if a certain FAC officer refuses a FAC for not having DSC1 the refusal would be won on appeal. I am DSC 1 + 2 qualified so I don't mind either way whether or its mandatory or not.

When I applied for my FAC, I phoned Pitt Street to ask for the application forms, the person I spoke to there suggested it would be better if I had DSC1 or had proof that I was planning on doing it, at the moment it is not mandatory. When the FLO came round I asked her about DSC1 and she said it makes the application easier to be approved if you have or are doing it.

When I applied for my FAC, I phoned Pitt Street to ask for the application forms, the person I spoke to there suggested it would be better if I had DSC1 or had proof that I was planning on doing it, at the moment it is not mandatory. When the FLO came round I asked her about DSC1 and she said it makes the application easier to be approved if you have or are doing it.

Exactly - some of the above posters cant seem to see the difference between 'mandatory' & 'advisory' - being a member of the GA, means absolutely nothing in relation to this.

In simple terms, for those having difficulty grasping this, and for the ones that seem to have their head in the sand - its not 'mandatory'..yet! It is however being requested as advisory by Strathclyde if you intend using a rifle for deer stalking. In other words, its up to the ACC whether you get approved or not.

Who would want to go to an appeal? and what would the chances be of winning as the Police are the final arbiters? Great advice for someone taking up the sport...Not !

But I guess you know better eh.....

I am a full member of the Scottish Gamekeepers Association and I know its not mandatory and if a certain FAC officer refuses a FAC for not having DSC1 the refusal would be won on appeal. I am DSC 1 + 2 qualified so I don't mind either way whether or its mandatory or not.

Suggest you check again - it isn't the inspection officer that refuses, its the ACC. He merely does the standard checks on behalf of the ACC

If after holding a firearms certificate for 10 years with deer and fox on it i applied for a renewal and was told i now required to have dcs qualifications before my renewal was granted i would certainly go to court to fight it especially since this has not became law ,it seems that some police forces try to impliment things before they become law......Police state or what......i would like to hear the answer in court when i asked why i require to have dcs qualifications when foreign stalkers do not bearing in mind that the argument that they hold a certificate relevent to dcs would not wash as many of them come here to shoot deer as they have none in thier own country and are not here to control deer or manage deer but simply as trophy hunters and the only thing that determines if a buck is shootable is the size of the feckin head and of course the bigger the head the bigger the fee......yes i can see this is all for the welfare of deer...utter rubbish.

• Like 1

HI there, I did this a few months ago and really enjoyed the course and got a lot out of it, I have been stalking for a few years but not out as often as I would like.....

The only thing about this is you can do it with no experience before hand and then can go stalking in some places, where as I was taken out for a while by two very experienced stalkers for a year before getting a shot and the advice from them was invaluable to say the least.

It is not a cheap course but if you are experienced I know people who have done it in a day because they needed it for the shooting that they have.

I think it is a good thing.

If after holding a firearms certificate for 10 years with deer and fox on it i applied for a renewal and was told i now required to have dcs qualifications before my renewal was granted i would certainly go to court to fight it especially since this has not became law ,it seems that some police forces try to impliment things before they become law......Police state or what......i would like to hear the answer in court when i asked why i require to have dcs qualifications when foreign stalkers do not bearing in mind that the argument that they hold a certificate relevent to dcs would not wash as many of them come here to shoot deer as they have none in thier own country and are not here to control deer or manage deer but simply as trophy hunters and the only thing that determines if a buck is shootable is the size of the feckin head and of course the bigger the head the bigger the fee......yes i can see this is all for the welfare of deer...utter rubbish.

Totally agree with you, but an appeal in these circumstances is doomed to fail. A Sheriff is unlikely to go against the ACC judgment, which is normally binding. Even then, an appeal will only be considered on a point of law. In other words, if an ACC decides he wants DSC level one for firearms applications, then his word is final. What you will find however, is, the Association of CPO's, usually agree things together - or ACOP guidelines:

http://www.acpos.police.uk/

And yes, its a Police state as far as firearms are concerned.

As I've said in an original post, I've been shooting deer, pheasants, foxes, etc for 25 + years. I learned a lot from the DSC level 1, but at £250, its a complete rip-off. I also object totally to it being used for initial FAC applications.

Unfortunately, this is the sad PC state we now live it - mark my words, within 5 years Level TWO will be mandatory for all shooting leases, and level one will be mandatory for all FAC's.

How does a novice stalker that has sat a dsc1 and sometimes not even pulled the trigger at a deer, suddenly become a better stalker than an old pro who has shot 100's of deer over the years; but does not posess the correct piece of paper to carry on stalking on managed forrestry land!!! The whole thing is beurocratic and absurd!!!

• Like 1

How does a novice stalker that has sat a dsc1 and sometimes not even pulled the trigger at a deer, suddenly become a better stalker than an old pro who has shot 100's of deer over the years; but does not posess the correct piece of paper to carry on stalking on managed forrestry land!!! The whole thing is beurocratic and absurd!!!

It doesn't make him a better stalker, but it proves that that he has at least the basic knowledge of the subject and has proven that he can shoot straight.

Where as the other guy has proven nothing to no-one so why should any one just take his word for it :hmm: . Besides he might have been doing it all wrong all these years :D

If he is so good and has so much knowledge then he has nothing to fear from the test.(apart from loosing a few quid) :D

Edited by stringer

It doesn't make him a better stalker, but it proves that that he has at least the basic knowledge of the subject and has proven that he can shoot straight.

Where as the other guy has proven nothing to no-one so why should any one just take his word for it :hmm: . Besides he might have been doing it all wrong all these years :D

If he is so good and has so much knowledge then he has nothing to fear from the test.(apart from loosing a few quid) :D

thanks for your input in this debate......

To put it in terms that all may understand...take the uk driving test....how many people have read the highway code since passing their driving test!! Im' sure the general public may have many objection's to being forced to resit their test every time there is a change within the highway code!!!

Please bear in mind that i am not trying to stir a debate on this issue, just that my opinion is that many uncertified stalkers will have more than served their apprenticeships, when they have had proven successful kills on deer/handling of carcase. They know through experience of many gralloch's when an animal may have had health issues and they certainly know the capabilities of their rifle and how to operate it safely.

I merely feel that this piece of legislation is the first of many....will we be seeing compulsory shotgun handling courses, compulsory shooting lessons, restricted land shotgun certification before a licence is issued?

Continued certification and legislation will be the end of our sport and the death of stalking/shooting tourism in the UK

Edited by chocky14u
  • Like 1

Hi guys,I just read on another forum that if the dcs qualification becomes manditory it will be exactly that.everyone without exception including foreign stalkers and stalkers from england who have bought stalking rights in scotland will be required to sit the dcs1 exam and pass it.I think that the foreign stalkers will look elsewhere and they will take thier cash with them this will cause a knock on effect to the local businesses that benifited from the visiting stalkers not to mention the thousands of pounds of lost revenue that the estates will loose .

Oh and talking about revenue I also heard that the inland revenue will be taking a very close look at the books for game dealers in an attempt to claw back unpaid tax from the earnings of those selling deer and not declairing thier earnings who said the government back something for nothing ....TAX...TAX....TAX :censored:

Bet there will be a few people sweating now we all know what the tax mans like if they prove you have sold one or two its up to you to prove that you have not sold one or two per day/week since you got your firearms certificate approved.

• Like 1