Should DSC1 be manditory  

412 members have voted

1. 1. Should DSC1 be manditory for professional deer stalkers

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should DSC1 be mandatory for the stalkers who shoot recreationally for thier own consumption and not for financial gain

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Do you think that having these qualifications will make you a better stalker

• Yes
    • No

i have always had the enjoyment of being able to go deer stalking when i want and what i am seeing here is a couple of things ,most of those that have passed a DSC level 1 or 2 seem to be very pleased with themselves and want to show everyone else what they can do ( fair enough they paid and achieved it) but these so called accredited witnneses who seem to take more pleasure in taking vast amounts of money from you seem to have lost the plot when it comes to stalking ,.......... but hey , when you can charge what they do , maybe i have not found the plot .

infact if any of these qualified people need some stalking ground for their students contact me by PM , i may as well have some of this

• 2 months later...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, he has to work under the parameters of the law surely.......IF DSC is not a legal stipulation then it's not a legal stipulation.

I'm not convinced a DSC is of any great relevance!!   I suggest a shooting test (accuracy) and safety knowledge should be explored!!   Many people have a .243 or bigger and quite legitimately take

The problem i have with DSC1 and the whole FAC thing is that there are a lot of us that have many years of experience with firearms and shotguns have been forced to take this qualification . When i d

The breakdown would be interesting if for

Q1 ,

How many were actually professional stalkers that voted ?

Q2 ,

No financial gain ? Do you mean they shouldn't be allowed to sell their deer ?

Q3 ,

Better stalker ? (For NO ) have the people that voted done the course and dont think they are better ?

Or not done the course and dont think they would learn anything from it ?

• 2 weeks later...

The breakdown would be interesting if for

Q1 ,

How many were actually professional stalkers that voted ?

Q2 ,

No financial gain ? Do you mean they shouldn't be allowed to sell their deer ?

Q3 ,

Better stalker ? (For NO ) have the people that voted done the course and dont think they are better ?

Or not done the course and dont think they would learn anything from it ?

Q1,

Not sure but anyone is free to leave a comment for or against it all adds to the full picture poll is a guide and comments have been encoraged throughout

Q2,

What I mean is people like myself who do not sell the venison off the deer they shoot but use it for thier self and family

Q3,

Every one could learn something but do they feel that learning something on a course would make them a better stalker remember we live in a computer culture where information is freely available to people who want to find something out

Edited by Night Hunter

Think DSC1 should be mandatory for beginners. Might save a few wounded deer, and if it saves just one firearms accident then it's a bargain for the whole shooting community.

Cost, yes it's cripplingly expensive for most people! If BDS or BASC weren't in it for the money, then they would publish a list of experienced stalkers by region who would be happy to pass on their knowledge for a working man's fee.

Maybe they do and I couldnt find it :o

Finding a stalker willing to take out a novice is nigh on impossible in my experience.

Where are you based Fidget? pm me if you want

• 2 weeks later...

I dont have the DSC level 1, but will need to have it by next year less I lose my lease.

My take on it is, you can always learn - those that think they know it all, will be the ones that need it most. Having read through the books for it, I was amazed at what I DIDNT know, but equally, there is an awful lot of stuff that isnt really that relevant to your average shooter. I've been stalking for 30 years, and I guess you get into a habitual way of doing things. On the plus side, its a qualification you can wave at insurance companies, and I bet very soon, you wont be allowed to stalk/shoot without it !

One major point against it is, the cost - ~£250 for 1-2 days work per student, is just a rip off ! Particularly as most of the prep should be done before you take the test.

I think all education is a good thing, but not when it hits hard on the pocket !

I am a proffessional stalker. I have my part1 and 2. I really get upset by the same people whinging about DMQ. The comment about high costs are banded about but I dont see an actual figure. I also see the line what is it going to teach me? It is there to prove that you do know what you are talking about. Some of you are stuck in your own little world not realising that what works for you in your area might not work elsewhere. We have to take your word for it that you do actualy know what you are doing is "the right way" The complaint about the old proffessionals having to sit it doesnt work either. I am in my 50's and if these old guys who comlained about it in the beginning had got off their backsides in the beginning they would have received 1 and 2 through grandfather rights. Now who is looking silly? MY attitude is that it is coming to be mandatory so get off your highhorses prove that you can perform as good as you can talk and do it while there isnt so much pressure.

come on lets break this £250 down. 2 days you say First day you will have an instructor, training manual, and probably rent for the venue. Second day you will have assessors wages (and possibly a range officers wages) ,test papers, registration with DMQ and the test venue again. When you look at all that it breaks down as reasonable . How much is it these days for a number of lessons and a driving test. need I say more?

Have DSC1 but can't see DCS2 making me a better stalker. :hmm:

Nor will it.

dsc started of as a volunteer thing and now looks like some want it compulsory.

where will it stop, fox shooting course,rabbit shooting cert.lamping classes etc.

its a rip of price wise and is just money for the boys.

stalkers managed for years without it with no large amounts of accidents that we have seen.

seen some deer stalkers who would struggle to hit a cow on the arse with a shovel, so it dont make you shoot better.

does driving lessons and a license stop all accidents.??????????????.

• Like 1

Have DSC1 but can't see DCS2 making me a better stalker. :hmm:

Nor will it.

dsc started of as a volunteer thing and now looks like some want it compulsory.

where will it stop, fox shooting course,rabbit shooting cert.lamping classes etc.

its a rip of price wise and is just money for the boys.

stalkers managed for years without it with no large amounts of accidents that we have seen.

seen some deer stalkers who would struggle to hit a cow on the arse with a shovel, so it dont make you shoot better.

does driving lessons and a license stop all accidents.??????????????.

Mostly agree.

come on markbivvy what are you frightened off. I always reckon that those that shoutv loudest and complain have something to hide. you keep on shouting about a rip off as far as money is concerned. money for the boys. but you do not actually explain yourself.if your that good PROVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prove what exactly.

why should folk who just want to go out on there own land have to take a test that will mean rock all to them.

tell us why you as a deer stalker would benefit from people taking this test unless its just to line your own pocket a it more.

why dont we ask the powers that be to make professional stalking illegal and just let the people that want to shoot deer do it

this would increase the amount of deer killed as most of us just wont be looking for trophy bucks to further line our pockets from them that cant find there own deer shooting.

i see you cant answer none of the questions that have come up. no profit in it for you.?

• Like 1

come on lets break this £250 down. 2 days you say First day you will have an instructor, training manual, and probably rent for the venue. Second day you will have assessors wages (and possibly a range officers wages) ,test papers, registration with DMQ and the test venue again. When you look at all that it breaks down as reasonable . How much is it these days for a number of lessons and a driving test. need I say more?

Arent you being a tad economic with your breakdown of figures?

I'm actually sitting the DSC next month, and its over one day - ie minimal instruction and the actual assessment, which by all accounts can take as little as 3.5 hours, depending on time on the range. Its still going to cost me and my mates 250 quid each for one day !

Taking 4-6 students, for a one day instruction, which is basic revision based on what you've already covered, or should have, works out at 1500 quid per day, or at worst over 2 days. So how far do you wish to break it down? Range rent? come on, most assessors have their own place, so there isnt any rent. Papers - all downloaded & printed for a few pence, registration is the same.

750-1500 quid a day, in any walk of life is good cash if you can get it - but not on the back of hard pressed stalkers & shooters. Doing say 2 of these per week, amounts to quite a tidy sum over a monthly period!

I personally think its a good idea, because you can always learn, however, getting fleeced in the process, isnt good !

Your posts are just a wee bit inflammatory, perhaps you have a vested interest in defending this rip off?

ps - you also mention a training manual - this isnt supplied, so you also need to buy that seperately - BDS for 30 quid ! Therefore your attempt at breaking down exessive costs for running the DSC1, are incorrect.

Edited by fireblade_rrw