Hi,

This is my first post, I've been lurking a little while, and just wanted to thank everyone on the quality of this forum, the info is really useful.

I have a question about how much difference a dog's coat colour will make to its effectiveness when hunting rabbits (particularly in the day time). It seems common sense to me that a brindle or black dog would blend in to the background better than a white dog, but I'd be interested to hear from those of you with experience on how big a difference it really makes.

I'm especially interested to hear of anyone's experience with white dogs, as I'm considering taking on a white 3/4 grey 1/4 collie bitch in a month's time.

a good dog is never a bad colour :thumbs:heres mine 19 wk old

jade003-1.jpg

jade002-1.jpg

Edited by craigyboy

Well said Craigyboy, i used to have a white bedlington/whippet cross 21" tts and i seen her catch hares in front of a 27" black lurcher, she caught any amount of game during the day. I would of bred her but she hit a 6 bar gate early morning and broke her neck and back

Hi,

This is my first post, I've been lurking a little while, and just wanted to thank everyone on the quality of this forum, the info is really useful.

I have a question about how much difference a dog's coat colour will make to its effectiveness when hunting rabbits (particularly in the day time). It seems common sense to me that a brindle or black dog would blend in to the background better than a white dog, but I'd be interested to hear from those of you with experience on how big a difference it really makes.

I'm especially interested to hear of anyone's experience with white dogs, as I'm considering taking on a white 3/4 grey 1/4 collie bitch in a month's time.

All down to personal preference really I like black dogs ,and Ive had about 6 of them.White dogs weren't so popular when I was young.A few years ago several fine white and light fawn coursing dogs appeared and then there seemed to be a spate of them,pick the one you like,Black dogs stand out just as much when they are on stubble or wheat as a White dog does on plough ,probably more.

Thanks guys, that's a relief to hear as I'd already got my heart set on the white pup. :D

That's a good looking dog you've got there Craigyboy, how's he bred?

thanks mate,shes a bull x gh,i got her off scotsman off here,shes as mad as a bag o wasps :D

For hunting rabbits it does not matter a bit as far as the rabbits are concerned however if you hunt on land where you are not allowed or permission that is heavily monitored by the anti hunting types then a white dog will get you spotted more quickly. There is no effect on quarry the colour of a dog in my opinion.

you forgot to say about blood spots and scars .

as mentioned earlier the dislike of white dogs came down to the fact that they stand out even at night and if your somewhere you shouldnt be thats not good especially if landowner or gamekeeper a bit triggerhappy .as a kid i was always told to stay away from dogs with white feet as their nails are weak and prone to splitting myself i havnt noticed it to be that much of a problem maybe ive just been lucky .also white dogs are prone to sunburn especially the ears .then theres the fact that a higher percentage of white dogs are born deaf what this percentage is i dont know but im sure its negligible as most stats are. i hope this has helped and not put you off your chosen dog and hope you have much success with it happy hunting mate

alright fela. there is this mith about the white lurcher but to be honest i think its an old wifes tale(so to speak) over the years ive run a white bull x and a white straight greyhound day and night made no diffrence to there quarry at all at the moment i run a white and black bullx which does me proud(local celeberity)lol so if the dog suits you go for it ........atb...elmafud