Creosote on a hen house

Is it true that if you put creosote on a hen house it keeps it clear of red mites?

I thought that creosote was carcegenic (spelling) but a book I was given advises this, what do people think?

Sureley you wouldn't do the inside ?

i dont think you can get creosote in its old raw form these days . we used to use it on the pigeon lofts inside and out . . mixed with bitumin and cheap enigine oil on the fences and hen houses - i can smell it now those whr the days ..

Most "creosote" sold these days is, as the stig says, only a substitute. I have seen a oil company called Smith and Allan on e-bay who advertise the real stuff, based on coal-tar. Think it's in 20 or 25 litre drums. Don't know anyone else doing it at the mo. Have a look in the car spares section, look for oils and you will probably find their shop. Or try smithandallan.com

You can get the real stuff still (on the quiet), and I use it inside, outside on top underneath and anywhere else I can find in my hen houses.

Yes it does keep red mite at bay but only for so long. An annual spraying of Harkers Duramitex (pigeon loft treatment) will sort out your red mite probs quicker than a whippet on speed. Works for me. Enjoy.

ATB

WAB :victory:

Thanks chaps I am very new at the hen keeping thing and I didn't want to fail at the first hurdle. :icon_redface:

I once used creosote on a fence some 25 years back and like a tw*t (cos it was a hot day) did it in shorts I splashed it on me and it killed for days.

Thanks again

Thanks chaps I am very new at the hen keeping thing and I didn't want to fail at the first hurdle. :icon_redface:

I once used creosote on a fence some 25 years back and like a tw*t (cos it was a hot day) did it in shorts I splashed it on me and it killed for days.

Thanks again

youve never lived until you get some in your EYE did it 20 yrs ago i can still feel and smell it !i was screamin like a stuck pig.running to the kitchen for some water fell over the bucket grazed my knee and got some in that too, i wish someone would have videod it funny now but not then!!

I just maaged to get hold of some duramitex a couple of weeks ago got the only 8 bottle's the guy had left tw@t stung me £20 a bottle but like stig says theres not a lot about any more, Im in the trade and I can't put my hands on it any where, harkers will be bringing it back out again but with the bits that work taken out, just like the jewsons product called cerocoat, smells like the real thing and fells like the real thing and yes it still hurts like f*** when you get it in your eye

WELL LADS

BEING THE SMART ARSE THAT I AM :D ..... WHEN I HEARD THE CRAIC ON BANNING DURAMITEX I WENT AND BOUGHT 10 BOTTLES AT £ 2. 58 A BOTTLE I THINK ...... I HAVENT BROKE INTO THEM YET HAVING TWO LEFT OF PREVIOUS STOCK ..... BUT THEY ARE THERE FOR THE FUTURE AND AINT EATING NO MEAT !!

CREOSOTE ? ............. WELL ............. LIKE S BEEN SAID , MIX WITH USED ENGINE OIL , ONCE THE SHED HAS BEEN TREATED THERES NO NEED TO RE-TREAT EVERY FEW MONTHES TO KEEP OUT THE DREADED RED MITE , JUST REGULARY PAINT THE PERCH ENDS ................ BUT ..... NEVER SIT A BROODY IN A WOODEN NEST BOX , USE A PLASTIC 5 GALLON BUCKET ........ THESE HAVE NO CRACKS OR CREVICES WHERE MITES CAN HIDE AND ARE EASILY WASHABLE WITH DISINFECTANT AFTER A HEN HAS HATCHED OFF , PLUS ARE EASILY STACKED WHEN NOT IN USE

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

Alternatively you can use double sided sticky tape (like they used to use on Blue Peter) and wrap it a few times around the perch for about six inches on either side and you'll catch the fuc5kers as they travel to and from their little hidey holes " tarra, jobs a good un.

As far as Duramitex goes I'm sure I saw some ona site the other day, I'll try and find it and post it on here, I get mine from there no worries, I'll go and have a look for you ........watch this space, I shall return

WAB